Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I see the California as a modern day Mondial cabriolet, only prettier.

Same purpose, (light duty, family orientated) and they'll depreciate so much they'll be absolute bargains in the near future... just like Mondials, only prettier.

Did I say that part about being prettier yet?

How long is the near future?  They've been out for a while and no bargains for sale yet sadly.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
Yes Ferrari owned massi until mc-12now it's alfa

I could have sworn that fiat owns alfa, Ferrari and maserati and they share the same workforce, research, creators ect.... I could be wrong though as I don't physically work there...
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

How long is the near future?  They've been out for a while and no bargains for sale yet sadly.

Bargains won't come up in the first few years, but once they start getting older than 3-5 years old watch them fall. What 4 seater front engined Ferrari has ever been desirable??? Also carsalea only shows the asking price, go to a dealer with a 2009 model cali and see how much they are willing to sell it, an easy $50k+ price reduction to move it. It isn't a secret that these types of ferraris drop like a stone

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession

basically when they're out of warranty, and/or an upgrade model is released.

5 years old, 7 maybe.

They're superb quality and I think they're prettier than a Mondial  :tilt:

Black, blue or silver would have to be the right colour for them. Red isn't as good as it ought to be IMO.

I like multi seat Ferraris... I did some work on my Ferrari engined multi seater this week.. not much but not nothing either.... can't wait to start driving it around......

Offline M500

Bargains won't come up in the first few years, but once they start getting older than 3-5 years old watch them fall. What 4 seater front engined Ferrari has ever been desirable??? Also carsalea only shows the asking price, go to a dealer with a 2009 model cali and see how much they are willing to sell it, an easy $50k+ price reduction to move it. It isn't a secret that these types of ferraris drop like a stone

I seems that most prestige cars suffer from "dropping like a stone" syndrome with Porsche being an exception. Mercedes Benz, BMW, Audi, Maserati, etc can all be had for approximately 1/2 their new cost after around 3-years. Modern Ferrari's all seem to have dropped significantly also - take 360's for example and 430's seem to be following closely in their footsteps (relatively speaking of course). Just ask MHH how well Lambo's hold their value after a couple of years.

I think it is a fact of life that is part and parcel of car ownership that they will depriciate quite quickly with the exception of cars that become collectable or "cult" cars.

I see your point regarding the Cali dropoing, however I dont see it being a great deal different to any other circa $500k car.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I seems that most prestige cars suffer from "dropping like a stone" syndrome with Porsche being an exception. Mercedes Benz, BMW, Audi, Maserati, etc can all be had for approximately 1/2 their new cost after around 3-years. Modern Ferrari's all seem to have dropped significantly also - take 360's for example and 430's seem to be following closely in their footsteps (relatively speaking of course). Just ask MHH how well Lambo's hold their value after a couple of years.

I think it is a fact of life that is part and parcel of car ownership that they will depriciate quite quickly with the exception of cars that become collectable or "cult" cars.

I see your point regarding the Cali dropoing, however I dont see it being a great deal different to any other circa $500k car.

I don't think Porsche are much better when it comes to depreciation.  It probably depends on the model and options.

Re the Lambos, I traded the Gallardos after about 2 years and got a lot about 75% back on each.  I paid $530K for the 9 month old LP640 and sold it for $400K after 2 years and 20,000km.  That's not bad, IMO.

I agree the Cali should be about the same as any other car at the same price - maybe a little less as it isn't a true enthusiast's car.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

It would be similar as all exotics drop pretty bad, but for example they are not in as big demand as say the same age 458. Both the 458 and calli will drop bad, but the calli isn't as desirable and not in demand. The calli will drop more and faster than the other model ferraris of the same age

Offline j15

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
an easy $50k+ price reduction to move it

Just learnt today that I know someone with a 2010 model with only 1500km on it that he needs to sell.  He'll obviously need to come up with a bargain price if he wants to move it quickly, so I'll watch how that goes.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

365GTC/4

It isn't desirable it is only rare.