Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

VIC Ferrari club had a track day at Phillip Island yesterday, hosted by Maranello Motorsport.

It wasn't that well attended really which was a shame, but there were still some very nice cars there. A few 599s, 430s, 355s, 308 QVs etc.

MM ran their fleet of track day cars, (360Cx1, 430Cx2, 430 GT3x1 plus the 458GT3 with John Bowe having his first drive, and doing some tyre testing. http://www.bathurst12hour.com.au/team-news-bow-gets-first-steer-of-ferrari/

I ran the British GT winning 360N-GT Veloqx car, pictured on this site.

I got to meet Aussie spotter too! he even helped me a while.

Nobody had any dramas at all.

Highlight of the day, by far, was B2 in his lovely yellow 308 GTB, he did a 1.56.87, which is substantially faster than any 308 has gone before by all accounts.

But then, it is a UK spec steel car, with dry sump, so what do you expect... should it be as slow as a wheezy old Aussie spec wet sumper.... no WAY ;)

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

plus the 458GT3 with John Bowe having his first drive
I am curious to see how the 4 driver teams share the 12 hours at Bathurst. The quick guys will be short changed (only one will be able to do the full 5 hours if the team wishes) as the minimum requirement for a driver is 2 hours. It sort of doesn't make sense to run 4 drivers unless they are all super quick.

• Soap Dodger

I am curious to see how the 4 driver teams share the 12 hours at Bathurst. The quick guys will be short changed (only one will be able to do the full 5 hours if the team wishes) as the minimum requirement for a driver is 2 hours. It sort of doesn't make sense to run 4 drivers unless they are all super quick.

Nope, sorry scuddles, wrong again.

there is no minimum drive time for a 4 driver team.

There is only a maximum time of 5 hours per driver, with 3 hour max stint.

so, by default, a 3 driver team has to have a minimum 2 hours for one driver. (Actually, each fast guy would do ~4hr 57 min, and the slow guy does 2 hrs 6 mins or there abouts)

But a 4 driver team can do as little as they like, subject to a 1 hr rest period for any driver between stints.

Offline AussieSpotter

• I like fast cars

I got to meet Aussie spotter too! he even helped me a while.

Nobody had any dramas at all.

Highlight of the day, by far, was B2 in his lovely yellow 308 GTB, he did a 1.56.87, which is substantially faster than any 308 has gone before by all accounts.

Glad I could help (eventually I found the right pedal :P) , was good to meet you, and B2 as well. Overall was a very fun day, highlight for me would have to be seeing the 458 GT3 out on the track; the sound alone made it my favorite car out there!

• Soap Dodger

Glad I could help (eventually I found the right pedal :P) , was good to meet you, and B2 as well. Overall was a very fun day, highlight for me would have to be seeing the 458 GT3 out on the track; the sound alone made it my favorite car out there!

of course, you're right, the 458 commands full attention and is a stunning car.

But personally, B2s car is very satisfying for him and me both, as was the perfect running of the much maligned and often misunderstood 360 N-GT.

where's ya pics then, come on!

Offline AussieSpotter

• I like fast cars

of course, you're right, the 458 commands full attention and is a stunning car.

But personally, B2s car is very satisfying for him and me both, as was the perfect running of the much maligned and often misunderstood 360 N-GT.

where's ya pics then, come on!
I can certainly understand that, B2's car is stunning, and it would have been very satisfying for you to see the 360 running smoothly!
I will try to get some pictures up today. :)

Offline JBO

• Drives: Something that doesn't meet my aspirations...yet...
Just before xmas I was in Sydney and visited Ferrari's dealership.

I was wandering about the showroom looking at a 599 and sitting near the entrance to the service area was a 458 Challenge car, with the steering wheel removed and laying on the drivers seat. Stunning machine in Rosso Corsa.

A few minutes later a mechanic walks up, whacks in the wheel and starts her up...

One of THE great engine noises. Period.

As he trundled out to the service bay he gave it a rev and I'll never forget how loud it was. Being indoors amplified it even more.

The general public is a terrible barometer of taste. Trust your own sensibilities.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Chief Muppet Wrangler @ Drugs.R.Us Badlands Sector

• Drives: Slowly and carefully

Interesting, "much maligned" ??  Care to elaborate?  In person next week if you prefer.

I have driven the "standard" 360 GT's and the Veloqx modified car is noticably faster. The standard GT was much closer to a Challenge with better aero IMO.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Chief Muppet Wrangler @ Drugs.R.Us Badlands Sector

• Drives: Slowly and carefully

...............................it would have been very satisfying for you to see the 360 running smoothly!

It has been almost 100% reliable since it was sorted post race career.  I have done about 1500 km's in it without a major issue. How many race cars can claim that?

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

It has been almost 100% reliable since it was sorted post race career.  I have done about 1500 km's in it without a major issue. How many race cars can claim that?
clearly you've never owned a porsche