Offline TEZZA

• Those Frenchies seek him everywhere

• Drives: No matter what it is I am still lusting after something better.
I'm sure OEM are glass. Thanks for the prompt reply; I would rather get a set of used ones or none genuine it possible due to the cost of OEM parts, I will make my own in carbon once I get a set to copy.

Tell us how you will do that in Carbon in your shed/kitchen/backyard????
As a person who frigs around with Fibreglass I am genuinely curious.

:D

Offline Tiger

Tell us how you will do that in Carbon in your shed/kitchen/backyard????
As a person who frigs around with Fibreglass I am genuinely curious.

:D

I think the word you are looking for is workshop. :)

RaceComp has already done a how it's done some time ago.

I could step by step if you like, its a black art with little info on how it's done 100%
Often critical parts are left out, you would fall over if not aware of the pitfalls Involved in autoclave cure per-pregs.

I'll put something together from start to finish when I get a minute Tezza.

Roll on summer

Offline TEZZA

• Those Frenchies seek him everywhere

• Drives: No matter what it is I am still lusting after something better.

I could step by step if you like, its a black art with little info on how it's done 100%
Often critical parts are left out, you would fall over if not aware of the pitfalls Involved in autoclave cure per-pregs.

Thanks TIger

I call it "the curse of assumption"

I assumed that as you are in McLaren Vale you are up to your armpits in red wine skins and have a rusty old shed somewhere with pallets of empty wine bottles and some cars gathering dust.

As I don't own an autoclave I won't be doing this but are always curious. 10 years ago I would have laughed at anyone suggesting I would try fibreglass but things change, and as I say "there are two forms of motivation. Inspiration and desperation". I was desperate to make something at the time. I could have paid a fortune to someone or made it myself in fibreglass. I chose the DIY route and it has been fun ever since. Not everything works and you throw it away and start again but most turns out pretty good.

:)

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

what curing times/temps/pressure do you run in the 'clave?  Do you run vacuum in the 'clave at all?

Offline Tiger

Thanks TIger

I call it "the curse of assumption"

I assumed that as you are in McLaren Vale you are up to your armpits in red wine skins and have a rusty old shed somewhere with pallets of empty wine bottles and some cars gathering dust.

As I don't own an autoclave I won't be doing this but are always curious. 10 years ago I would have laughed at anyone suggesting I would try fibreglass but things change, and as I say "there are two forms of motivation. Inspiration and desperation". I was desperate to make something at the time. I could have paid a fortune to someone or made it myself in fibreglass. I chose the DIY route and it has been fun ever since. Not everything works and you throw it away and start again but most turns out pretty good.

:)

No rusty sheds but plenty red wine around the place we are very lucky in the Vale.

Anything you make in Autoclave is costly, one layer of 0.25mm carbon can cost over $100 sqm and 4 layers is 1mm
Not including tooling, labour or cure time to run the Autoclave.

With that in mind you can't afford failure. I have had a few and it cost me $1000's to fix.
I learned the hard way not to believe in products that say high temp etc.

I don't lose much now I have my way and it works well.

You can do vacuum only but the parts are not as good due to only having at best 14.7 psi.
I can pull 114.7psi in autoclave with ease with no pin hole at all.
Roll on summer

Offline Tiger

what curing times/temps/pressure do you run in the 'clave?  Do you run vacuum in the 'clave at all?

Vacuum bag the part in the Autoclave and then add pressure, you must have vacuum to allow pressure on the part.
Cure range can be from 60deg C long low temp cure over 9hrs or high temp cure @ 110 deg C for 1hr + ramp up & down.
Pressure can range from 60 psi + -1 BAR to 100psi + -1 BAR depending on the spec of the part being made.
Roll on summer