Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Yes, but it would be subjective. If we're talking steering, suspension etc, then I would want it from Ferrari.
If it was a wiper arm, or window switch etc... As long as it looked/functioned the same I wouldn't mind. If it was a visible part it would need to look identicle though.

Ok, for example with steering....

if you damage your steering rack, you CANNOT buy a part of it from the dealer, you must buy a whole steering rack... obviously, very expensive.

BUT, you CAN get suitable parts for a rack to be repaired in the aftermarket. But the parts look and are different to Ferrari ones, but they do work perfectly, and are safe (they're often better).

If said car happens to be under warranty, does this affect your opinion too?

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I purchased some new door lock solenoids for the Mondial from Euro Spares. They came in nice pretty Ferrari Boxes.

And they only cost me about $50 each once all was said and told. One bloody solenoid for the Missus' Territory was $156!!!!

Dunno why that's relevant though........   :tilt:   

• Soap Dodger

I purchased some new door lock solenoids for the Mondial from Euro Spares. They came in nice pretty Ferrari Boxes.

And they only cost me about $50 each once all was said and told. One bloody solenoid for the Missus' Territory was $156!!!!

Dunno why that's relevant though........   :tilt:   

Serves you right for buying a territory...

and WTFare you doing to those locks, do you STEAL all your cars out there in whupwhup where you are??

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Serves you right for buying a territory...

and WTFare you doing to those locks, do you STEAL all your cars out there in whupwhup where you are??

There is a little plastic gear in the solenoid that breaks, stupid design!!! And guess what, you can't just buy the gear, you have to buy the whole damn lock mechanism!!!!!!!   :irked:

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
It depends on what the exact part is, what the invoice says it is and what I have been charged. If it's say a brake pad compound "X" and it's sourced from say Pagid, I don't give a stuff whether it comes from Pagid directly or Pagid via the Ferrari network. All I care about is the price.
If it's say a body panel, invoiced as OEM and priced as OEM and it turns out to be made in China, I would be pissed.

• Soap Dodger

It depends on what the exact part is, what the invoice says it is and what I have been charged. If it's say a brake pad compound "X" and it's sourced from say Pagid, I don't give a stuff whether it comes from Pagid directly or Pagid via the Ferrari network. All I care about is the price.
If it's say a body panel, invoiced as OEM and priced as OEM and it turns out to be made in China, I would be pissed.

You're exactly right of course, it DOES depend on the part.

But be careful, the Chinses make stuff a LOT better than Italians in many cases!

Ok, try this... cam cover gaskets... Original ones are green, with a special sealant pre-applied to the surface in many spots, a little red line, you may have seen it.

But aftermarket ones are usually but not always the same paper material, but cut out using different tooling, are not quite the same to look at, and don't have the pre-applied sealer....

The dealer could be supplying and fitting either to your car if in for a service......  Does this matter?

Offline dkabab

Does this matter?

You're the mechanic.... You tell us, Does it? If it makes no difference, then I don't see any problem in it.

Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

I don't care who the supplier of the spring is, as long as it works.  :p

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
You're exactly right of course, it DOES depend on the part.

But be careful, the Chinses make stuff a LOT better than Italians in many cases!

Ok, try this... cam cover gaskets... Original ones are green, with a special sealant pre-applied to the surface in many spots, a little red line, you may have seen it.

But aftermarket ones are usually but not always the same paper material, but cut out using different tooling, are not quite the same to look at, and don't have the pre-applied sealer....

The dealer could be supplying and fitting either to your car if in for a service......  Does this matter?

If the quality and suitability for the application is identical I wouldn't care. If the aftermarket one is inferior I wouldn't want it regardless of the price.

Offline adam01

I wonder what the import concessionaire thinks about parts being bought from outside the network?

is there a policy, or charter that dealers are supposed to follow?

In our case non genuine parts must be identified on the
customers invoice eg oil filters if used

Factory prefers we use genuine parts but where substitutes
are available thats accepted
Customers are offered a choice with suitable discounts for non genuine