Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
F152 will allegedly be built with aloominum instead of carbon fibre.  Should make for even more epic spectacles when on fire.

http://www.teamspeed.com/forums/ferrari-gt/67616-ferrari-599-successor-shun-carbon-fiber.html

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
F152 will allegedly be built with aloominum instead of carbon fibre.  Should make for even more epic spectacles when on fire.

http://www.teamspeed.com/forums/ferrari-gt/67616-ferrari-599-successor-shun-carbon-fiber.html

I had an interesting chat with the authorised McLaren repairer for Melbourne on the topic of carbon fibre crash repair recently. He is just back from technical courses conducted by McLaren in England.
Carbon fibre is unsuitable for mass production stuff due mainly to the difficulties in repairing them structurally after a crash.
The damage can be transmitted far from the point of impact and a damaged section of a tub can be hard to detect from a visual inspection as the damage may be internal. Normal procedure is to x-ray the tub, or just chuck it away and bolt all the old bits to a replacement tub. Not a major drama for an expensive race car; but pretty prohibitive in a mass produced road car. There are more than a few Enzo's getting around with replacement tubs after an accident. They go back to the factory and the old tub is scrapped and the chassis number reused on the new tub. Expensive; but not prohibitive on a million dollar road car.

I think the first person to structurally damage their new McLaren or Aventador will be in for a very nasty surprise.

Offline Stingray69

• Drives: Magnum's car but grey
  • Name: Rennie

All true but isn't  one of reasons why McLaren designed the mono-cell with the aluminium extensions rather then go the all carbon monocoque of the Aventador (and the original McLaren F1) was ease of repair, besides being cheaper to manufacture as well.
If you ain't living on the edge, then you're taking up too much space

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

All true but isn't  one of reasons why McLaren designed the mono-cell with the aluminium extensions rather then go the all carbon monocoque of the Aventador (and the original McLaren F1) was ease of repair, besides being cheaper to manufacture as well.

Sure, the aluminium substructures will reduce the problem as minor impacts will be absorbed by the sacrificial
sub-structures.  Higher impact forces can and will be transmitted to the main tub.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Don't be sucked in and scared off by the scaremongering though.

Carbon tubs have been fixed for ages, everything from the Tatus FRenault tubs, through F3 and FToyota etc.

There are at least 6 repairers in Melb far more skilled and experienced than any McLaren agent.

The Moslers have been repaired too, and Brian Tanti's project out at Fox's place, plus another are well ahead of the game.

It's all under control, relax and enjoy. And dont be held to ransom by pretensious paintshops with ZERO skills and experience.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

Don't be sucked in and scared off by the scaremongering though.
Carbon tubs have been fixed for ages, everything from the Tatus FRenault tubs, through F3 and FToyota etc.
There are at least 6 repairers in Melb far more skilled and experienced than any McLaren agent.
The Moslers have been repaired too, and Brian Tanti's project out at Fox's place, plus another are well ahead of the game.
It's all under control, relax and enjoy. And dont be held to ransom by pretensious paintshops with ZERO skills and experience.

*sigh*

I didn't say they couldn't be fixed, although in many cases they can't. I said it is prohibitively expensive on a mass produced car.  To spell it out for you, a "cheap" mass produced car can be an economic write off when it requires several hundred thousand dollars of parts and labour to fix. Doesn't mean it can't be fixed. It means the insurance company/owner will be under water if they try  :rolleyes:

You are letting your bias show through- again. The "pretensious paintshop" is deemed worthy enough to be appointed by McLaren and trained at the factory. Shit they must be doing something right or McLaren would have appointed any of the
"6 more experienced repairers" that you mention  :scratchchin:

I don't have a "horse in the race" and couldn't really give a stuff; but it's interesting when you know some of the story behind the scenes.
As I have told you before Philly...............one day you will piss off someone with really deep pockets and it won't be pretty.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
I'm not scared of pissing off rip off merchants and scum bags that rape insurance co's with vastly over inflated repair costs.

Repairs to carbon tubs need not be cost prohibitive, as the aviation and boating and racecar industry are well versed in it.

Autobody and smash shops not previously versed and skilled in it will throw stupid numbers around, making repairs enormously more expensive than they can or should be.

I'll continue to attack those I consider greedy or unfair, and I do it with confidence of proving my point if need be.

Offline dkabab

heading off topic as usual, but are carbon tub cars used in lemans/gt3/gt2 racing etc... how do you fit a roll cage to a carbon tub? do they have to have metal contact points already set in the carbon?

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

I'm not scared of pissing off rip off merchants and scum bags that rape insurance co's with vastly over inflated repair costs.

Repairs to carbon tubs need not be cost prohibitive, as the aviation and boating and racecar industry are well versed in it.

Autobody and smash shops not previously versed and skilled in it will throw stupid numbers around, making repairs enormously more expensive than they can or should be.

I'll continue to attack those I consider greedy or unfair, and I do it with confidence of proving my point if need be.

Dear oh dear. Better be careful you don't live in a glass house if you're gunna throw rocks   :P

I'll always step up to the plate when I think someone is subject to an unfair attack, even if I don't have a personal interest- just like I have done for you in the past as you might recall. It's an Anzac tradition that was born when Winston Churchill was sacrificing Australian troops at Gallipoli.