Offline dkabab

how is it that f40's get driven on the road all the time. i was looking through the fca-vic website the other day and theres an f40 that goes on all the cruises/events. no rego. surely its not on single day permits.....

Offline app

how is it that f40's get driven on the road all the time. i was looking through the fca-vic website the other day and theres an f40 that goes on all the cruises/events. no rego. surely its not on single day permits.....

That F40 seems to have a rego plate on it. What is the history of these cars being allowed on the road? Are they not street legal? I started to see on here a while back that there seems to be issues with F40's being on the road, but wasn't aware of what the problems were.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Thought I'd split this off into a new discussion - seems to come up now and then about if/how F40s can be road-legal.

Not sure you'll get any specific details, but it might prove interesting.

Offline dkabab

good idea..... from what ive know, whether its right or wrong, but they werent allowed originally because they were only LHD.... im not sure if there is more too it.
but like i said in my first post, this one seems to get around a bit. and the rego plate on the back doesnt appear to be an aussie one. my concern is that if this car is being driven on 1 or more day permits, which are only really for specific reasons, ie taking car to get inspected... im sure if you are on a cruise and something happens, the insurance company arent gonna pay up... im hoping im wrong, but just a thought....

Online OzCarSightings

• Will eat your baby
  • Photographer

• Drives: GenF HSV/Golf R32/motorbike
  • www: JanGlovac.com
I'm assuming its the same as the ones in Perth - drive around on dealer/trade plates which allow them to drive to/from workshops etc.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
You are only allowed to use trade plates to drive cars that are not registered but ARE registerable.

The F40 is not registerable. It's illegal to drive one according to the letter of the VIC laws.

Thank god for negligence, complacency and some good old common sense!

Offline app

You are only allowed to use trade plates to drive cars that are not registered but ARE registerable.

The F40 is not registerable. It's illegal to drive one according to the letter of the VIC laws.

Thank god for negligence, complacency and some good old common sense!

That's even more confusing when trade plates can only be used on cars that can be registered in Australia because it doesn't explain why some have been spotted on the roads and why some aren't allowed to be registered. Otherwise, if trade plates can be used on non-registerable cars, then perhaps that could've explained why F40's have been seen on the roads. Nevertheless, ruling out trade plates narrows down the possibilities rather than misleading us to believe that trade plates have been the reason they are on the roads.

• Soap Dodger

That's even more confusing when trade plates can only be used on cars that can be registered in Australia because it doesn't explain why some have been spotted on the roads and why some aren't allowed to be registered. Otherwise, if trade plates can be used on non-registerable cars, then perhaps that could've explained why F40's have been seen on the roads. Nevertheless, ruling out trade plates narrows down the possibilities rather than misleading us to believe that trade plates have been the reason they are on the roads.

My post means that the cars being used, are not being used legally.

But that they seem to get away with it.

I hope there is a test case at some point to sort it out.

it's utter bull shit from the road authorities. There is no reason why left hand drive cars shouldn't be registered at all, and especially bull shit, when the ruling says that once they're 30 years old and all worn out and fucked, THEN it's ok.... :doh:

And, good on all those guys driving them for doing so with a finger firmly in the air to the authorities. Fuck 'em.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Not sure if I should re-quote this...

There is a misconception in this country about God's greatest car. A left-hand drive F40 can be registered in Victoria (on club plates) after 25 years of it's age. (mine being 1990, will be registered in 2015. Normal rego (not club plates) is 30 years.
A 28 day permit allows you to drive the car between 7am & 7pm, 7 days a week for 28 days. Part of that permit allows you to drive the vehicle, to mechanically check for defects. e.g oil leaks etc, etc. The inference is that your sorting the car out, to allow you to register the car at some point in time.
Well I'm sorting my car out so that I can register it in 2015. I have been looking for an oil leak NOW, for 5 years. It's not my fault I can't find it.  I will keep looking though, till 2015.

• Soap Dodger

Not sure if I should re-quote this...

ha ha, yes, good old Gil... stick it up 'em.