Offline app

My post means that the cars being used, are not being used legally.

But that they seem to get away with it.

I hope there is a test case at some point to sort it out.

it's utter bull shit from the road authorities. There is no reason why left hand drive cars shouldn't be registered at all, and especially bull shit, when the ruling says that once they're 30 years old and all worn out and roo named ted, THEN it's ok.... :doh:

And, good on all those guys driving them for doing so with a finger firmly in the air to the authorities. Fuck 'em.

I see what you mean. However,  I don't think we can conclude that the ones that have been spotted on the road are driven illegally especially since they are conspicuous cars that would attract a lot of attention. As Ash just said, you can get a legal 28 day permit. However, I have seen left hand drives that are not 30 years old, how come they get to and why F40's don't?

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
I see what you mean. However,  I don't think we can conclude that the ones that have been spotted on the road are driven illegally especially since they are conspicuous cars that would attract a lot of attention. As Ash just said, you can get a legal 28 day permit. However, I have seen left hand drives that are not 30 years old, how come they get to and why F40's don't?

We can conclude it, because it's a fact.

If a cop or the authorities were to try it in court... they would win.

BUT, if the law were written correctly and fairly, there would be no case.

So, they'll just leave it at that, hand out the fines and take the little bit of pocket change they get from fining illegally temp/trade registered cars.

if they saw the BIG picture, they'd let the cars be registered, and there's a queue of people happy and willing to pay the full taxes etc required.

I believe we DO need to keep left hand drive cars out of Australia... BUT ONLY THOSE THAT WERE BUILT IN RIGHT HAND DRIVE OPTIONS... ie, no influx of cheap left hookers, just the special and rare cars like 288, F40, F50, Enzo etc etc...

In the UK, either side is fine, but the market is poorer for it IMO.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

There is a misconception in this country about God's greatest car. A left-hand drive F40 can be registered in Victoria (on club plates) after 25 years of it's age. (mine being 1990, will be registered in 2015. Normal rego (not club plates) is 30 years.
A 28 day permit allows you to drive the car between 7am & 7pm, 7 days a week for 28 days. Part of that permit allows you to drive the vehicle, to mechanically check for defects. e.g oil leaks etc, etc. The inference is that your sorting the car out, to allow you to register the car at some point in time.
Well I'm sorting my car out so that I can register it in 2015. I have been looking for an oil leak NOW, for 5 years. It's not my fault I can't find it.  I will keep looking though, till 2015.

It may be able to be Club rego'ed in 2015 but it will never be rego'ed LHD.

Being a 1990 model means that the 30 year rule will not apply to this as the cut off is Jan 1989.

So until someone has the RAWS and can do the RHD conversion, club rego is it.   

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

You would not have seen a car younger than 30 years on full rego here in Vic, it just can't happen.

They can be on club rego(25 years or older) but anything younger than 30 years has to be RHD to be rego'ed.

The rules are different in other states, I think in WA a LHD car under 30 years can be rego'ed LHD - not sure.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
WA was 15 years last I heard, not sure if that's changed.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Smart ForTwo
  • Name: Peter
You would not have seen a car younger than 30 years on full rego here in Vic, it just can't happen.

They can be on club rego(25 years or older) but anything younger than 30 years has to be RHD to be rego'ed.

The rules are different in other states, I think in WA a LHD car under 30 years can be rego'ed LHD - not sure.

it is registerable here though...after all those mods and ADRs have been done. it's only the ones that were imported as race cars that CAN'T ever be registered no matter what...with the others, it's only a matter of money. hence they can legally be driven with permits and trade plates for the purposes that they were designed to be used for....if you get my drift.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
I've witnessed a VICROADS vehicle import inspection on a number of occasions.

i'm sure you could fit a dummy "real" steering wheel to the right side and dress the real wheel up as a kids toy and pretend!

It's all a croc of shit.

There are no real reasons to stop LHD on any grounds other than bureaucracy.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I had some friends in Hot Rod land that sat on the committee that worked with the department of transport and each of the states rego departments, like Vicroads here. They have some mussel when it comes to a lot of issues with club rego and such. You have probably noticed that Hot Rodders can get away with a lot of things that would normally be impossible. Plus it does help that the cars are decades old. But regardless there is still a lot of Modified cars out there on full rego, so it does not seem fair.

Anyway, back on the subject. When this committee was talking about imported cars and what should be allowed and shouldn't - the department of transport was going to put together a register of special and rare vehicles which they were prepared to exempt from a lot of the laws, as they realised that they would not be driven as a daily driver, etc, etc.

This turned into SEVS. But once the bureaucracy got a hold of the idea it was crushed and the RAWS system was introduced at the same time.

The idea of the special interest vehicle register was that if eg. an F40 was brought into Australia it could be rego'ed with special Federal plates, could be left LHD and driven - but there was going to be restrictions, something like the club rego rules now. 

But this never happened, and my friends resigned from the committee before we found out what the deal was.  :grumpy:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

"mussel" cars :p

Reminds me of Mondy's first few posts here... : http://aussieexotics.com/forum/ferraris-for-sale/1982-ferrari-308-gtsi-no-reserve-t1589.0.html;msg26274#msg26274

:p

HEY, someone is paying attention!!!!!  :thumbsup:

Yeah, and thanks for the reminder of "that" thread!   :doh: