Offline dkabab

There's a story on fchat somewhere I think it's in the private sections... But anyway it was about your "first Ferrari"
one guy when he turned 18 and got his trust fund, walked into a dealership and bought an f40, drove it home that day, but none of the salesmen would even help him, until he asked one of them to call the bank, from there they all kissed his arse.

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
I still have that problem even though im now 30+
I was refused 2 test drives in rx8's by mazda dealers a couple of years ago
they both missed out on a sale because I bought the first one I got to drive.

more recently I was refused a test drive in a boxster in Adelaide, so I made enquiries on a melbourne car and set up and appointment time etc, and bought my current car that way

its a shame that you get better service by filling in the dealer enquiry email form on a website than by walking in and meeting face to face to discuss what you want in person

Offline 1q2w3e4r

well thats gay, i'm 23 and when i was going around with my own hard earned money looking for cars no one would pay attention to me untill i get the shits and it got to the point that i had to  literally show  a bag of cash before anyone paid attention to me, the merc guys at mossman ignored me for ages, they were laughing at me because i was standing in the new cars section, then another salesman came past and asked if i needed any help, literally 5 minutes later i was ordering a custom CLS from them, those smart ass "older salesman" who thought i was a waste of time for them missed out on my sale and in return missed out on the commision for the car. same thing with the maserati, the 360 was different because i went looking with my dad so they were licking his ass and stroking his ego even though i was the one buying the car, butr atleast when they wetre pressuring my dad and stroking his ego, i was left alone to make a decision without the added pressure of a used car salesman talking crap into your ear.. looks can be decieving so putting locks to deter the "voyers" is a very stupid thing for their business sometimes

Strange, I've never had any problems.  I'd just go elsewhere if that happened, that'd really piss me off. 

If a dealer refused me a test drive however that'd be an entirely different kettle of fish, I'd complain to the principle in writing (after I purchased from somewhere else).  Although I'm generally pretty decided on what I want by the time I go to look at it.

Offline Iggy_Type_R

I think it's a matter of attitude. I test drive a Gallardo when I was 22, no problems, no deposit, nothing. I just wanted to drive one. :) I bought a 4200 spyder for 180k a few months after tho...  :doh:

I think it's better to call and make an appt anyway... that way you will have their full attention and vice versa.

But with the higher end stuff I think they should take the car to you. If you're going to spend $150k or more with a dealership, they can get off their lazy butt and drive the car to you. but that's just me...  :)

Offline app

i would've thought it was more to do with sales guys just serving the ones who they are most likely to close the deal with and quickly and avoid the people that are least likely to be able to afford a car, ie young people?

can you really expect anymore from sales people? most are wankers, but I'm saying that based on my dealings as a young person. having said that, I wasn't even after an exotic. :doh:

Offline 1q2w3e4r

i would've thought it was more to do with sales guys just serving the ones who they are most likely to close the deal with and quickly and avoid the people that are least likely to be able to afford a car, ie young people?

can you really expect anymore from sales people? most are wankers, but I'm saying that based on my dealings as a young person. having said that, I wasn't even after an exotic. :doh:

Yes absolutely, if I'm there I'm interested in something they have to sell to buy.  I don't want them to grovel and all that other BS, but I would expect them to be interested in carrying out their role proficiently. 

Push bike shops are much worse than car dealerships I've found.  Pretty crazy when some people spend 5 figures with them on something with huge margin.

I think it's better to call and make an appt anyway... that way you will have their full attention and vice versa.

But with the higher end stuff I think they should take the car to you. If you're going to spend $150k or more with a dealership, they can get off their lazy butt and drive the car to you. but that's just me...  :)

Yeah agree with that, I think a lot of it is to do with your attitude, I'm under 30 and bought a car last week for my mother in shorts, t-shirt and a pair of vans.  No problem from the dealership, I've done the same (jeans, t-shirt etc) when buying cars for myself as well.  I generally have always called ahead (I did the deal for my M Coupe at the time over the phone before even looking at it provided it checked out). 

All the dealerships I have dealt with have been good, courteous and willing to help.  MB Sydney were the best by far, they bought the car out to our place for us to check out (we live about 40 minutes away) let my girl drive it and let us check it over while they worked out a trade for the other vehicle. 

If I know I'm going to buy it and provided I've driven one before or know what the performance is like I usually tell them I'm happy to go for a test drive and let them drive however.  They always let you drive it anyway as they want to close a sale but at least removes the tyre kicker aspect of it IMO.

Offline 993tits

• Pepé Le Porsche

"I'm under 30 and bought a car last week for my mother in shorts, t-shirt and a pair of vans.  "

I think it quite cool that your mother wears this outfit irrespective of how old you are............... :doh: :D

(it's no so funny now as I deleted the quote marks when I was hurrying to get this done before leaving the office  :waah:)
Always Gunna

Offline M308

• Degranged

• Name: Scott Thomson
I really hate to say this but my worst experience of being ignored & frowned upon while entering a dealership was at the Porsche dealer on Glen Osmond Rd! I was looking at a Porsche Cayenne S (  :confused: ) a year or so ago & was waiting for this old guy who permanently kept a very close eye on me while I was looking around, he kept yapping about other clients he had (big time name dropping) & what they were buying & what they were doing with them etc...........25mins passed & still no nice, friendly eye contact or gesture that he won't be long. He finally got off the phone & approached me with no smile & an angry look on his face. The Cayenne was out on Glen Osmond Rd & I asked for a test drive, he said "no, the M.D. was taking the car in 5 minutes & that was it........I drove past 30 minutes later & it was still sitting there.
On principle alone, I will not go there in the future to buy a car if I am in the position to again, even though I know the new sales guy there now :doh:

Offline 1q2w3e4r

"I'm under 30 and bought a car last week for my mother in shorts, t-shirt and a pair of vans.  "

I think it quite cool that your mother wears this outfit irrespective of how old you are............... :doh: :D

(it's no so funny now as I deleted the quote marks when I was hurrying to get this done before leaving the office  :waah:)

Don't worry, I chuckled.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
well I guess having dirty board shorts on, adidas  casual shoes and a $10 star wars shirt i bought from myers a few months ago doesn't help lol.

But your right in saying the sales guys are taking the chance that "older people" are more likely to have more money to spend.

Having said that the place i bought my Ferrari from let me test drive the car without even checking my lisence or if i even owned one, but the 2nd test drive I took my dad to drive it and they took his lisence and did all that stuff ect.... found that one strange....

Same thing with realestate, I made an appointment to inspect a couple of unit blocks, i rolled up in my skyline (because there is no way i'm taking any of my more expensive cars to these areas), dressed like a bum, realestate agent was alittle dissapointed and asked if i was looking on behalf of someone but she remained professional the whole way, after some negotiating I bought both blocks and now every time a good investment opportunity comes by she gives me a heads up...

anyway back to F40's
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!