• Chief video spammer

• Drives: Miss Daisy
  • Name: Trevbot

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Offline DL599

• nee Melbourne Exotics

• Name: Damon
Don't know where you got 5000$ from because it's still for sale for around the $100k mark
if your car feels safe, your not going fast enough

Offline Condor Man

• Is it a Bird?? Well, sort of, Yes.... 300kph+ club
  • Plastic Surgeon

• Drives: A car
Fark, I bid $86k for a 365 BB without an engine or gearbox!

I am interested to see where this ends up.
May the Horse be with you....

Offline Condor Man

• Is it a Bird?? Well, sort of, Yes.... 300kph+ club
  • Plastic Surgeon

• Drives: A car

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
Fark, I bid $86k for a 365 BB without an engine or gearbox!

I am interested to see where this ends up.

I wouldn't touch it regardless. It will be a horrendously expensive repair IF you can even get all the spare parts. I believe the company that made the carbon fibre tub is now dead and buried, wonder who ended up with the moulds  :scratchchin:

You can count on there being parts that are no longer available and it's not like you can plunder another salvage F50 for parts is it ?

In the unlikely event that you managed to make a car out of it, the thing would be almost unsaleable as it's the most storied F50 in the world, known to everyone.

Offline racecomp

• Carbon Fiber Gimp

• Name: Steve
I wouldn't touch it regardless. It will be a horrendously expensive repair IF you can even get all the spare parts. I believe the company that made the carbon fibre tub is now dead and buried, wonder who ended up with the moulds  :scratchchin:

You can count on there being parts that are no longer available and it's not like you can plunder another salvage F50 for parts is it ?

In the unlikely event that you managed to make a car out of it, the thing would be almost unsaleable as it's the most storied F50 in the world, known to everyone.

That sounds just perfect for me, I love the canít fix, canít get parts stuff I make my own. Bring it on!

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

That sounds just perfect for me, I love the canít fix, canít get parts stuff I make my own. Bring it on!

Well for your sake I'm glad you won't be attempting to buy this one, an F50 isn't a 458 where it's still in production and everything is available. The F50 has been out of production for over 10 years and Ferrari and their suppliers have no legal obligation to hold a parts stockpile for it. After 10 years they sell the whole lot off to Maranello concessionaires in England as they have done for decades. It's not like you can jump on the net and find a wrecked one in some salvage yard. With only 4 of them in Australia I don't like the chances of borrowing anything to copy either.

You might be able to make the carbon fibre stuff; but what about all the bespoke mechanical elements made in a production run of 400 or so?

Trust me, this would turn out to be a nightmare of epic proportion. Remember the Enzo that was wrecked by an actor as a publicity stunt for a movie? That was "repaired" by a chop shop mob nobody had ever heard of. It was for sale by them forever and eventually bounced around the trade in the US like a hot potato. No doubt a similar fate awaits the stolen F50 that was crashed by the FBI and sold at a salvage auction. I've never, ever seen one of these "bargains" conclude with a happy ending.

Offline racecomp

• Carbon Fiber Gimp

• Name: Steve
Well for your sake I'm glad you won't be attempting to buy this one, an F50 isn't a 458 where it's still in production and everything is available. The F50 has been out of production for over 10 years and Ferrari and their suppliers have no legal obligation to hold a parts stockpile for it. After 10 years they sell the whole lot off to Maranello concessionaires in England as they have done for decades. It's not like you can jump on the net and find a wrecked one in some salvage yard. With only 4 of them in Australia I don't like the chances of borrowing anything to copy either.

You might be able to make the carbon fibre stuff; but what about all the bespoke mechanical elements made in a production run of 400 or so?

Trust me, this would turn out to be a nightmare of epic proportion. Remember the Enzo that was wrecked by an actor as a publicity stunt for a movie? That was "repaired" by a chop shop mob nobody had ever heard of. It was for sale by them forever and eventually bounced around the trade in the US like a hot potato. No doubt a similar fate awaits the stolen F50 that was crashed by the FBI and sold at a salvage auction. I've never, ever seen one of these "bargains" conclude with a happy ending.

Carbon part easy, anything else can be custom made as good as or better than OEM. 
It's down to the skill and the time to do it. Making one off parts is nothing new. This sort of thing would never faze me I would probably give it a birthday with modern brakes and wheels.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

Carbon part easy, anything else can be custom made as good as or better than OEM. 
It's down to the skill and the time to do it. Making one off parts is nothing new. This sort of thing would never faze me I would probably give it a birthday with modern brakes and wheels.

It takes time and money to custom make complex parts and when you are done they would be tainted because they are not original and OEM is all important in the  blue chip collector market. Aftermarket hot rodding is an even bigger sin and
you destroy the value and desirability of the car, especially if the original parts are not with the car. Weird world perhaps; but that's the way it is.