Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Ferrari F70 ready to blast in
Text: Jack Rix / Photos: Poblete

Sensational new Ferrari is set to blow Bugatti away with advanced chassis and powerful yet efficient twin-turbo V8...

Ferrari’s new F70 will not only be faster and more focused than the Enzo, but smaller, lighter and more fuel efficient, too.

It’s being hailed as the ultimate, most advanced road car Ferrari has ever made.

Aiming to leave exotic rivals including the Lamborghini Reventón and Bugatti Veyron trailing, the ferocious flagship will break from the norm in more ways than one. And our stunning illustrations show how such a model could look.

It will be not only quicker and more focused than the Enzo, but smaller, lighter and more fuel efficient, too. In addition, the latest rumours suggest a twin-turbo V8 will provide the power. It will be the first use of turbos in a production Ferrari since the 1987 F40, making this the spiritual successor to that definitive hypercar.

Internally codenamed the F70, the newcomer will use knowledge gathered from the FXX scheme. This invited customers to buy a pumped-up and stripped-out version of the Enzo for £1.5million, but allowed them to drive their purchases only on approved track days. Afterwards, they briefed Ferrari on possible improvements.

The philosophy behind this new downsized and lightweight hypercar is derived from 2007’s Millechilli concept. Although little more than a fibreglass model, it demonstrated Ferrari’s aim to increase the performance of future models by shedding weight, not by hiking power.

Millechilli means 1,000kg in Italian. It’s an ambitious target for the F70’s kerbweight – a full 365kg less than the Enzo – but Ferrari is ready to apply every weight-saving measure possible.

Rival McLaren is leading the way in lightweight construction, with an F1-style carbon fibre tub forming the basis of its MP4-12C supercar, so Ferrari wants to regain the initiative in this area.

An overhauled and shrunken tub, carbon fibre body panels – plus carbon-ceramic brakes and a no-frills cabin – should keep weight to a minimum. Ferrari already heads efforts to reduce CO2, having slashed output by 10 per cent in 2009. It promises further cuts from its current 387g/km average by 2012.

But reducing body mass alone won’t be enough to achieve this. To slash CO2 significantly, the engine also needs an advanced design. The Enzo’s V12 will make way for a new direct-injection twin-turbo V8 – the same layout as in the legendary F40. Output is likely to be on a par with the Enzo’s 660bhp, but that lower weight should put performance on another level. Expect a three-second 0-60mph time and top speed in excess of 230mph.

A twin-turbo V6 is also under consideration, to replace the 458 Italia and California’s V8s. Yet before either unit is signed off, engineers are keen to eliminate turbo lag. The F40 was famous for the delay between throttle inputs and the arrival of a savage wave of torque. But Ferrari claims it won’t resort to turbos again until it’s perfected the technology to give the instant response for which its naturally aspirated cars are renowned.

One option is electric or hybrid chargers. These use a small electric motor to spool the turbos up to operating speeds much faster than in a normal set-up, where exhaust gas has to be recirculated.

The result is a virtual elimination of turbo lag and a linear power delivery that will be familiar to owners of current Ferraris. Just like the Enzo, the F70 will be strictly limited to a production run of 399 examples, adhering to Ferrari’s philosophy of always building one less car than you think you can sell. But not just anyone will be able to put their name on the waiting list. Buyers will need to be personally invited by Ferrari to stump up the expected million (£600,000) asking price when the car goes on sale in 2012.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/245479/ferrari_f70_ready_to_blast_in.html#ixzz0Xv1eTnOD

Offline Pazzo Canguro

• COFFEE AND CARS...What more is their? Oh Women!!

mmmmmmmmmm...they looks sweet.....i just hope it is true.....but i not 2 sure about this....it might be someones idea of conjuring up some crap on the internet...even so..would be great....except the no v12 bit..
twin turbo or not i rather the sound of a v12 ferrari anyday....

As for the person who wrote this article...ferrari do not make 399 of this or 499 of that as thier philosophy of building one less than you can sell....they actuall BUILD 400 or 500 and keep one for the ferrari museum/factory they always have...that is a known fact so i dont know where he got "ferraris philosophy" from...
anyhow that is my 2 cents worth...... i could be wrong and i am sure i will be corrected
still LOVVVVVEE the look though....  :thumbsup:

Offline dkabab

As for the person who wrote this article...ferrari do not make 399 of this or 499 of that as thier philosophy of building one less than you can sell....they actuall BUILD 400 or 500 and keep one for the ferrari museum/factory they always have...that is a known fact so i dont know where he got "ferraris philosophy" from...
anyhow that is my 2 cents worth...... i could be wrong and i am sure i will be corrected
still LOVVVVVEE the look though....  :thumbsup:

Aaaaaactually they make more than that. Vin number counters put the production of F50’s at close to (if not over) 400. from a claimed 349 made.
With several (5-7) f50’s with the same vin number of 99999

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
it might be someones idea of conjuring up some crap on the internet...

Now Ash who would do something like that?  I mean, that'd be pretty tasteless, even as an April Fools joke.   :D

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Now Ash who would do something like that?  I mean, that'd be pretty tasteless, even as an April Fools joke.   :D

Whut :confused:

Pigs might fly...  :mischief:

edit: http://images.google.com.au/images?q=Maiale%20Volante :p

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
is there anywhere in the world the steering wheel with no top bit would be legal?
who evers drawing pictures with crayons here might as well add a cannon, an afterburner, paint some flames down the side, give it 6 wheels, make it 100 feet long with rotary saws on the front of it

...edit: did anyone with inside information from ferrari correctly render what the 458 would look like?

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

...edit: did anyone with inside information from ferrari correctly render what the 458 would look like?
The same person who predicted Diana being killed in a car crash in a Paris tunnel.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

is there anywhere in the world the steering wheel with no top bit would be legal?
who evers drawing pictures with crayons here might as well add a cannon, an afterburner, paint some flames down the side, give it 6 wheels, make it 100 feet long with rotary saws on the front of it

Oh man, that sounds like an Awesome car!!!!!! Where can I get one????    :p

Offline Mario

• Name: Polish Doctor

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

$2 million Ferrari - but not for Australia
TOBY HAGON

Ferrari is developing a replacement for its Enzo supercar, though Australian millionaires will once again miss out.

Ferrari boss confirms next supercar but says it will not be built in right-hand-drive.

Ferrari boss Amadeo Felisa has confirmed the company will build a replacement for the Enzo supercar, but it will not be sold in Australia.

The car, which will effectively replace the $1.7 million low volume Enzo, could cost as much as $2 million and is set to become the fastest road going Ferrari ever produced.

Like previous Ferrari supercars though – including the F40, F50 and Enzo – it will only be built with the steering wheel on the left-hand side of the car.

Ferrari’s CEO said it would cost too much to build a right-drive version of the hero Ferrari supercar.

“With the Enzo we only had left-hand-drive and we will continue with that because the numbers are too small,” said Felisa.

“Right-hand-drive is 10 per cent of our volumes, that means on the numbers of the Enzo it is 50 cars.”

Felisa said to convert a car to right-hand-drive is “a huge modification for such a low number of cars”.

The news will no doubt disappoint Australian multi-millionaires, although they’d be getting used to missing out on some of the world’s uber exotica.

Porsche’s Carrera GT was only built in left-hand-drive, as was the world’s fastest car, the Bugatti Veyron.

It’s a trend an unfortunate hangover of driving on the left-hand-side of the road, with most of the world – including mainland Europe and America - driving on the right.

Felisa says the Enzo will arrive within a few years but that details of the car had not been confirmed.

“We have not yet defined the plan (for the next Ferrari supercar) but it should be two, three years from now,” he said.

As with previous Ferraris, he confirmed the name would be new.

“We always change(names) … we never again (use) Enzo,” said Felisa.

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/2-million-ferrari--but-not-for-australia-20100204-nebs.html