Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter

That is a fetish in some circles.........    :tilt:

Anyhoo, waxing is so 90's, get one of those hair removal machines! Works wonders.

Sounds painful.
I love my car. Buy your own

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.

That is a fetish in some circles.........    :tilt:

Anyhoo, waxing is so 90's, get one of those hair removal machines! Works wonders.
Do the electric lint removers do the same thing?

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
good question!! i'm not like you, so I'll say I can't tell any difference from looking with my untrained eye, but it may not be identical.

Yes it has the original labelled covers.

I haven't waxed!

well, I have a trained eye...

and in this pic from when carl did your radio recently... your fuse box is a standard original one... not a blade fuse one...

• Soap Dodger

which is weird because I told a previous owner of your car to take it to the excellent autolec steve varasso to do a fuse box upgrade as I was too busy.

I thought he did... but maybe he didn't.

??

• Soap Dodger

Another little thing with wiring... soldering.

Its often assumed that soldering makes the best connection and there are cases where it does. But in general wiring loom assembly soldering actually causes issues of its own.

Where the solder penetrates into the core wires it creates stiffness. This can lead to a reduction of flexibility and consequential failure due to vibration and other movements. Its been widely known for decades but kind of ignored.

But I've started to see it written more lately.

I installed an ICE ignition conversion today. Using all perfectly original distributors and caps but deleting the troublesome points and condensers and also advance mechanisms. These units have 100 programs to choose from! They also have programmable rev limit at push of a button and also a lower Rev limit thats switchable and programmable too.... to stop your teenage son or valet park attendant or even your mechanic if you're inclined to think that way.

Anyway its nice to see in print something I've learned a long time ago.... a well executed crimp is actually better than a soldered connection in most cases....

• Soap Dodger

Today I did a 308 twin dizzy system. I didn't take a pic yet but I also did a Dino recently.

Playing with the push button program options really makes drivability a dream to tune.  And no maintenance required.

Here's the Dino installed.

No holes even drilled into the car. Completely reversible and OE appearance for dizzies caps leads and coils if desired like on a 308 where those things are on display. In this Dino I used hi power coil as its covered by a panel after.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Another little thing with wiring... soldering.

The only reason they say this is because most people do not know how to solder correctly. Sure it's not that hard, but too much heat and too much solder will cause these issues.

I have been soldering looms for 30 years(yes since I was about 12) and never had any issues what so ever. Mine you I do know how to solder so the solder does not creep up the wires.

• Soap Dodger

The only reason they say this is because most people do not know how to solder correctly. Sure it's not that hard, but too much heat and too much solder will cause these issues.

I have been soldering looms for 30 years(yes since I was about 12) and never had any issues what so ever. Mine you I do know how to solder so the solder does not creep up the wires.

Well, it's not the only reason, but it is one of them.

A rumbling yank tank that spins to a giddy 5000rpm occasionally doesn't vibrate even a fraction of a flat plane Ferrari V8 revving to 8000rpm+ reasonably often.

Never mind engine bay temperatures....

Then you have Italian wiring, plastics from recycled flower pots used as fuse boxes, and good old rust/corrosion thrown in!,

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Well, it's not the only reason, but it is one of them.

Yes, I wouldn't join wires by soldering for instance. A good crimp joint is by far the best way to go.

If you have the correct crimping tools and the correct crimp type connectors there is really no need for soldering, but the average Joe wouldn't have these tools as they are expensive.

Anyway, you can open a big can of worms with all this stuff. It's best left to someone who has the correct tools and knows what they are doing......