Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
Is this poor mechanical advice?

From April 2006:
Quote from: ferrarifixer
You can also try this if you're moving to new oil.....

Drain the old oil, and put the plug back in finger tight.

Fill the gearbox with parts washer, or even petrol, about 3-4 litres, then turn the road wheels off the ground by hand for as long as you can be bothered, then drain that all away too. THEN, put in your new oil. This way, you get immediate feel on the difference the oil made, not a contaminated batch.

And just a tiny point, a little pet habit I've grown fond of... Use an ally washer instead of copper. It reduces electrolysis around the plug, which protects the threads from seizing and stripping.

what do people think about this advice?  i think it sucks. oil seals and O rings do not like petrol i'm told. if this is what phil's doing to customers cars, could this be doing them harm? how many other hair brained ideas does he have?

he originally said it here.......
http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=135724868#post135724868
I love my car. Buy your own

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
if you do use petrol to flush your gearbox, make sure you hold your cigarette a FULL arms length away at least. :thumbsup:

As I said, parts washer would be first choice, but all parts washers are flammable.

As for seals and O rings. No problem at all. Diesel or kerosene wouldn't be any good for them though.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
if you do use petrol to flush your gearbox, make sure you hold your cigarette a FULL arms length away at least. :thumbsup:

As I said, parts washer would be first choice, but all parts washers are flammable.

As for seals and O rings. No problem at all. Diesel or kerosene wouldn't be any good for them though.

you think this is funny? you're making jokes about it? you're the only joke here.

I love my car. Buy your own

• Soap Dodger

I've done it twice. I've only done it when specifically asked to provide a direct comparison between gear oil brands.

I use parts washer, but petrol is (much more convenient and available) safe on seals ond O rings, just like it's safe on most seals designed to be used with oil based products.

Diesel or kerosene is NOT safe on neoprene or viton seals though... so be sure you know what fluid you're using.

If Pless has been told petrol is not safe on gear oil seals.... he should think again about who told him, and what they're doing.

Handling petrol in these quantities is no more dangerous, in fact less so, than filling your lawn mower or motorcycle.

• Soap Dodger

you think this is funny? you're making jokes about it? you're the only joke here.

why is this post still here but not my reply to it?