??what do you mean THIS time?

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline deangpsx8

• I Am Legend
  • I am legend in my own lunchbox

• Drives: Everyone Crazy
  • Name: Dean
  • www: Intellitrac.com.au
Hi Guys, finally got the testarossa back. Serviced, RWC, insured  all OK. Having trouble getting it engineered. Some tell me it needs CATs some tell me it doesnt.  Some tell me it needs intrusion beams, some tell me it doesn't....starting to get pissed off again. Anyone gone through this process with an 87 Testa, please let me know who did it and what pain you went through.  I am getting annoyed at leaving the car with strangers for weeks and nothing being done and no diffinitive answers. I have been in the trade a long time designing gear for the local car manufacturers and have seen some disasterous outcomes back in 85-86 fitting CAT's to cars which were never designed to have them.  Mine is a UK Car which was never engineered to have CAT's..the US models had CATS.  I've seen CATS glow red hot on many occassions. It worries me fitting a CAT to my Testa.
Persistence Beats Resistance

Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

Hi Guys, finally got the testarossa back. Serviced, RWC, insured  all OK. Having trouble getting it engineered. Some tell me it needs CATs some tell me it doesnt.  Some tell me it needs intrusion beams, some tell me it doesn't....starting to get pissed off again. Anyone gone through this process with an 87 Testa, please let me know who did it and what pain you went through.  I am getting annoyed at leaving the car with strangers for weeks and nothing being done and no diffinitive answers. I have been in the trade a long time designing gear for the local car manufacturers and have seen some disasterous outcomes back in 85-86 fitting CAT's to cars which were never designed to have them.  Mine is a UK Car which was never engineered to have CAT's..the US models had CATS.  I've seen CATS glow red hot on many occassions. It worries me fitting a CAT to my Testa.

Fit them, get it registered then take them off.  :D

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter

sounds like a frustrating experience! something for me to look forward to :(

Offline uzz32soarer

• Moustache Champion
  • How the moustache was invented.....go the growl!

• Drives: 1988 Testarossa, 1974 DeTomaso Pantera, 1956 T-Bird convertible.
  • Name: Rob Hayden
Been there done that.

I got two of the bastard things, both 88.5 models

Basic stuff for compliance:

Fuel neck restrictor
E rated seatbelts
Ensure lights and glass are E rated
CAT converters
Intrusion bars in the doors
Drive by noise test
Emissions test
RWC
Tyres
Placards

That's all from memory.

Many Vass engineers won't touch them as a couple of years back one went through the system and they dodgied the paperwork so the intrusion bars were never fitted. Then two years back when Vic Roads had their big audit, that Testa came up on the check list. Very random, but didnt help the owner or the VASS Engineer who certified it.

VASS Engineer was removed from the list and the car sat for 12 months before Vic Roads even cleared it for re-engineering, then applied every rule in the book to it.

Yeah, yeah, the whole CAT thing is a right PITA, but you need to do it, unless you have a bottomless pit of funds and access to the Ford labs where they do the actual emmisions testing. At $12k per report, I'm thinking that fitting CATs is a cheap thing.

BUT.........and there is always a But. The CATS to be fitted MUST be genuine Ferrari cats as designed for that model engine or the car will not pass VASS inspection.

Pretty hard when CATS were never fitted in UK. Mine was even harder as the exhaust was not standard, but a nice shiny stainless Bell system.

Took me months to figure it out but my two cars are sorted. A full 512TR system including CATS was imported from the USA and fitted to the Testa and the VASS was more than happy as I could prove that the cars shared the same F113 engine. Because I was bringing an F113 engine up to 1994 specifications for the 512TR, the engineer acepted that this was even better than 1988 specs so the car passed with flying colours.

And as a side event, he didn't even need to set up for the expensive drive by testing as the 512TR system shut the old girl up so much that you couldn't even hear it.

You should take a look at www.ferrariaustralia.com and join the forum there. We have a few Testa owners on board.

BTW: FCA owners register shows 52 Testarossa's in Oz. Add 10% at least for blokes who are not in the FCA and you will be close to the number in the country.

All the best with her.

Rob Hayden

Offline Aircon

ok....now you've got me scared.

thanks for nothing!

Offline uzz32soarer

• Moustache Champion
  • How the moustache was invented.....go the growl!

• Drives: 1988 Testarossa, 1974 DeTomaso Pantera, 1956 T-Bird convertible.
  • Name: Rob Hayden
I'm sure a 328 is a walk in the park you big wooz!

Offline Aircon

I'm sure a 328 is a walk in the park you big wooz!

oh goody...i'm feeling much more confident now.