Offline waz356

Is the car actually here or in transit? Shannons wont touch it until it's landed, complied and registered although there is a "laid up" cover available for vehicles that are unregistered such as race cars. You need to talk with someone with a bit of authority rather than just the voice on the end of the phone.

Offline deangpsx8

• I Am Legend
  • I am legend in my own lunchbox

• Drives: Everyone Crazy
  • Name: Dean
  • www: Intellitrac.com.au
car in transit..just getting quotes at the moment.  However when i rang the insurers, we didn't even get that far.  They just asked me what sort of car and a few questions about my driving history and insurance history.  Then refused to insure.  Just to re iterate. Perfect driving history, Perfect insurance record, live in a low risk suburb, car securely garaged!
Persistence Beats Resistance

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
Interesting - Spoke with Shannons yesterday and posed the question to the head honcho there.

Answer was: They won't insure newbies (to Shannons) with high priced exotics.  Now I suppose high price would be in excess of $100k. 

Now if you've had your 10 year old Fiat Punto insured with them for a few years , then yes, you would then have a history with them and would have no problems insuring any exotic.

Weird thing is,  when I arrived back into Oz a year or so back (after 9 years away), I walked up to the counter and asked to get my car insured (which was still on the boat) for $75k.  they didn't flinch. All I had for ID was a passport and a temp driver's license.  Price quoted was cheap to.

Any luck at your end ??

I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline deangpsx8

• I Am Legend

looks like you hit the nail on the head....same response given to me.  I will keep trying.

Offline greg246

looks like you hit the nail on the head....same response given to me.  I will keep trying.

have you tried the classic car section of NRMA?
Jive Assed Mother Plucker

Offline deangpsx8

• I Am Legend

Hi Guys,  thanks for your help. Finally got the Testarossa insured through shannons. First I insured my old statesman thats been sitting untouched in the garage since 1984, then i mentioned the testarossa and they insured it. Strange!...last time they wouldn't touch it. I think it depends who you speak to there. Whew!

Offline waz356

Hi Guys,  thanks for your help. Finally got the Testarossa insured through shannons. First I insured my old statesman thats been sitting untouched in the garage since 1984, then i mentioned the testarossa and they insured it. Strange!...last time they wouldn't touch it. I think it depends who you speak to there. Whew!

Well done. Now you have to post some pics of the car. The Testarossa, not the Statesman.

Offline deangpsx8

• I Am Legend

I'll get some photos organised. It arrives next Friday and then going straight in for a cam belt service...to be sure..to be sure.  BTW does anyone know how many Testarossa's in Australia.  I understand Ferrari enthusiasts either love them or hate them. For me its always been the dream car i first saw as a 21 year old. The main reason why i chose the Testarossa over a 348 or 355 was that i thought that it was good value for money  and saw the prices beginning to increase substantially in the UK. The 348 and 355 would probably be better cars. Final question which i am sure someone will know. If a V12 does a cam belt, will it bend the valves or is there enough clearance?

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
clearance

I would have thought that words like 'Clearance' & 'Tolerance'  weren't in Ferrari's vocabulary.

Well done for persevering with Shannons - job done.

Back to the Testarossa.  One of my fears of buying one was the cam belt issue.  Having to drop the engine each time.  But I can't really voice that opinion any more as the Lotus is pretty much in the same boat. 

BTW does anyone know how many Testarossa's in Australia.

Might have to head over to Fchat for that one.
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better