Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

oh come on, you can stuff a squeegee handle up your arse and run around too...  :tilt:

B12 prep coming along ... you all set?
b12 has hit a bump in the road with parks out of action. The car was moved on Tuesday through 12 inches of water. The gearbox was in bits at parks, it went under along with brand new discs and pads, tyres etc. All parts are to be moved to my work, I have a workshop and a 2 post hoist. We'll be right for Bathurst. And it wasn't diesel, it was 800 litres of sump oil.

Offline dkabab

i know this is a little bit different, but i remember a story from a few years back, an oil tanker ran aground and spilled oil all along the coast of vic. one guy who owned a workshop of some sort, didnt want to pay for waste oil removal, decided to dump his oil figuring it would go un noticed. i cant remember how, this dumped oil was discovered, and being different to the stuff from the ship, was tested, and of course oils have sort of a dna to them, it was traced to be used by several workshops, found out whos it was, and he got fined to the eye balls from the EPA. some serious jail time too...

makes you think too, what about all the petrol stations..... i wonder if the pressures of the torrents of water sucked the petrol/diesel out of the holding tanks...

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
i know this is a little bit different, but i remember a story from a few years back, an oil tanker ran aground and spilled oil all along the coast of vic. one guy who owned a workshop of some sort, didnt want to pay for waste oil removal, decided to dump his oil figuring it would go un noticed. i cant remember how, this dumped oil was discovered, and being different to the stuff from the ship, was tested, and of course oils have sort of a dna to them, it was traced to be used by several workshops, found out whos it was, and he got fined to the eye balls from the EPA. some serious jail time too...

makes you think too, what about all the petrol stations..... i wonder if the pressures of the torrents of water sucked the petrol/diesel out of the holding tanks...

oil/petrol floats on water anyway, so pressure or not, if water went near the underground tanks, they'll be rooted....

I wouldn't be buying fuel from ANYWHERE near the flood zones for a while! The tanks and pipes and pumps will no doubt have contamination of some kind for a while.

In my shop, I just have several 200 litre drums for my waste oil.. I actually do relatively little servicing, and it takes me a while to fill them... maybe 1200 litres per year?.. and when one drum is full, I put the lid on it until they're all full and call the waste oil guy in...

It then costs me about $1 per litre to get it all taken away... but I mix all fluids inc coolant and petrol into one big goo... so that's why it's expensive.

petrol waste/recovery is the problem.. dirty old carburettor engines actually get so much petrol in their oil in normal use, that the oil co. refuse to accept is as "clean" waste oil anyway.

There are also a few idiots out there that think removing fuel tanks to do certain procedures saves them money... well, the workshop has to have a special fuel recovery machine (nowadays) to drain a petrol tank, which puts overheads up, AND is still VERY dangerous....   

and if the shop knows what they're doing, the tank out method isn't actually much quicker anyway, so the savings are minimal... add in the likelihood of "while you're in there" requirements, or other service requiremnts like other fluid changes and the tank out way rarely makes real sense.

But some just can't be told....

So, I', happy to pay to have my safely collected all mixed up waste taken away and recycled properly.

I typically charge a "consumables, sundries, waste and recycling" item to my invoices... I've tried to break it down a few times to explain to people, but it's simply too many small details to be worth the trouble, so I usually just charge 1% of the labour content, as that's what it roughly is generated by. I cap it of course on bigger jobs.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
b12 has hit a bump in the road with parks out of action. The car was moved on Tuesday through 12 inches of water. The gearbox was in bits at parks, it went under along with brand new discs and pads, tyres etc. All parts are to be moved to my work, I have a workshop and a 2 post hoist. We'll be right for Bathurst. And it wasn't diesel, it was 800 litres of sump oil.

yeah... 800 litres waste oil! As I know as well as any, a LITTLE oil goes a long way... 800 litres would go forever!

Bugger re-prep..

you got a spare gearbox already anyway? or is that your only one??

Although, if it's done quick enough, you might save it all, assuming it's all still there....

Offline Off the wall racer

Does anyone know the particulars to contact the Ferrari/exotic dealership that had the flooded cars? I own a Ferrari F430C and had a little issue with a wall at the track, plus a bit of flipping and rolling, so I am looking for a flooded car to buy and salvage parts from :) While I am hopeful that the insurance company paid out, the car(s) are probably totaled. Not good for most, but ok for parts for the body for me. If not the dealer, then the insurance company may wish to sell.
Thanks to whomever may know.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
I own a Ferrari F430C and had a little issue with a wall at the track, plus a bit of flipping and rolling...

Sebring?

Offline Off the wall racer

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Were you there, or just heard of it?

Just did a spot of Googlesluething - didn't see any pics/vids as yet though.

Got any? :)

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
What was the car we had a pic of on here that had been flooded? ....from memory it had a blue interior and was a 360 or 430..

edit: ok 360 in blue, red interior, bumma