Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
well.. "my" Gary was Hills No.1 mechanic at the time... so I have a little inside info..

basically what you say is right, and the teams opinion too... but Hill swears he didn't realise (didn't hear radio/adrenalin etc) how damaged MS car was, and thought race was still on...

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
well.. "my" Gary was Hills No.1 mechanic at the time... so I have a little inside info..

basically what you say is right, and the teams opinion too... but Hill swears he didn't realise (didn't hear radio/adrenalin etc) how damaged MS car was, and thought race was still on...

fair enough....so that was hill's side....but was MS really as wrong as we all though he was at the time by just holding his line? or DID he actually wait til hill was next to him and turn into him?

*shrug*
I love my car. Buy your own

• Soap Dodger

the in car footage shows MS checking mirrors and turning off line to cause the accident

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/IQOT7Y9YCio" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/IQOT7Y9YCio</a>

Offline Aircon

pommie commentators talking about a pommie racer...there may be bias. i don't see why MS couldn't have kept his line, which is exactly what he did....but then, i can't even pretend to know what the rules and etiquette are in such a situation. He wasn't DQd or anything, so i assume the powers that be thought it was all ok.?????? yes no??

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
well, ignoring any of the stuff to do with the incident itself, looking at the footage and trying to put myself in Hill's helmut my train of thought would be "MS has just damaged his car and i'll be able to pass him sometime in the next half a lap".

instead, he dove right for the apex to cut through a car with a driver who had nothing to lose.

so no matter who's at fault or being underhanded, it's was a plain stupid move on Hill's part.

Offline Aircon

well, ignoring any of the stuff to do with the incident itself, looking at the footage and trying to put myself in Hill's helmut my train of thought would be "MS has just damaged his car and i'll be able to pass him sometime in the next half a lap".

instead, he dove right for the apex to cut through a car with a driver who had nothing to lose.

so no matter who's at fault or being underhanded, it's was a plain stupid move on Hill's part.

yes...that's probably right...although it's easy for US to say with 20/20 hindsight....but i'm wondering more from the point of the rules and what's accepted. having just seen the replay another couple of times, MS just sort of stuck to his near normal line it seems. i mean, if he'd done something wrong, like with JV, surely he'd have been severely penalised.

• Soap Dodger

little bit of in car action from Phillip Island.. some Ferrari action at the start... then a great Turn 1 tank slapper at the end.... be nice about the GT40 driver, he's a nice guy and all that...

javascript:ol("http://www.abbeysound.com.au/gt40r3.wmv");

• Soap Dodger

both were stupid... Hill just plain stupid (as per the norm), Schuey maliciously stupid (natural 'win at all costs' instinct). IMO neither had enough time to really think things through... red mist and adrenaline to blame for both instinctive responsives... not just a race.. it was for the lead and for the WC...

goober

i've recently wondered about that....MS took the normal line through that corner and was clearly in front when they collided. wouldn't Hill have been a lot smarter to just wait a second? he'd have seen the damage and known  MS couldn't continue...why try and stick his nose into a small gap? *shrug*

hill screwed up