Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Yeah - pretty much sums it up.  Sexy cars though, but in the end "value" notwithstanding I'd take GT4 over a 348 - and I think in the next 5 or so years we'll see that reflected.

Over a 5 year period, a GT4 will typically cost more to run than a 348. But both are not crazy money pits.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

technically yes, but if it were my own, I'd happily leave it until 5 years.

348 use the cambelt to drive the water pump, and the belt itself is driven by an intermediate gear... these things need checking, his car has been done... but time has passed of course.

The price is as is, private sale direct from the owner.

5 years??? What exactly is the Factory spec on this. I have heard 3 years, 4 years(regardless of miles) but this is the first time I have heard 5???

The Mondial was done in the UK 280miles ago, but that was over 2 years ago. 02/06 from memory. I am not happy driving it for any distance yet until I have them done again.
Or am I just being paranoid

• Soap Dodger

5 years??? What exactly is the Factory spec on this. I have heard 3 years, 4 years(regardless of miles) but this is the first time I have heard 5???

The Mondial was done in the UK 280miles ago, but that was over 2 years ago. 02/06 from memory. I am not happy driving it for any distance yet until I have them done again.

5 years is in no way official.

Belt change life is mostly a scare tactic.

But it's not the belts that are the problem... it's tensioners/idlers/seals etc...

My own Boxer I left 8 years.... but only because I was too busy. i still drove it, on track too.

It's more about useage and storage.

Depending on what model/year, belt life is either 3 or 4 years officially. But the dealer will tell you 3 on everything, and in the real world, to buy/sell a car.... you work around 3 years.

BUT, if you wanted to stretch the interval, unofficially, 5 years is safe. And I tell that to everyone.

• Soap Dodger

You're being both paranoid and cheap.

3.2 Mondial belts are the easiest of any to do.

If it has the black plastic backing plates still fitted, it'll take ~6 hours. if they've been removed like most have, it'll take ~4 hours. belts are less than $100 for the pair and bearings are $75 each from me for IMO better ones, or $300 for shitty OE ones.

Also, when belts break, they almost always do it at idle speeds. Once the revs build, the loads reduce. So not "driving it any distance" is actually worse than driving it for miles and miles! It's the warm up/cool down phase that is danger zone.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

You're being both paranoid and cheap.

3.2 Mondial belts are the easiest of any to do.

If it has the black plastic backing plates still fitted, it'll take ~6 hours. if they've been removed like most have, it'll take ~4 hours. belts are less than $100 for the pair and bearings are $75 each from me for IMO better ones, or $300 for shitty OE ones.

Also, when belts break, they almost always do it at idle speeds. Once the revs build, the loads reduce. So not "driving it any distance" is actually worse than driving it for miles and miles! It's the warm up/cool down phase that is danger zone.

Well, think I will just do them to put the mind as ease.

"Kent Performance Cars" did them in the UK. I don't know anything about them, so I don't know how good a job would have been done.

• Soap Dodger

Well, think I will just do them to put the mind as ease.

"Kent Performance Cars" did them in the UK. I don't know anything about them, so I don't know how good a job would have been done.

Kent Performance, or Kent HIGH performance cars... Different co.s

if it was KHPC, it will be done fine. Drive it with confidence... PROVIDING, the tensioner bearings are not noisy/rusty (from steam cleaning), and there is not oil leaking all over the belts from cam seals.

Offline uzz32soarer

• Moustache Champion
  • How the moustache was invented.....go the growl!

• Drives: 1988 Testarossa, 1974 DeTomaso Pantera, 1956 T-Bird convertible.
  • Name: Rob Hayden
That big red bastard is due in May at a 3 yearly interval.

Chances of that being done...........little to none. I have 14000 kms since Feb 07, so I reckon mine gets enough use to keep things in order for at least another year.

• Soap Dodger

That big red bastard is due in May at a 3 yearly interval.

Chances of that being done...........little to none. I have 14000 kms since Feb 07, so I reckon mine gets enough use to keep things in order for at least another year.

Yep, just get a stethoscope and have a damn good listen to the tensioner areas, make sure no oil or coolant is getting on the belts, and make sure the w/pump is not leaking from the tell tale.... and drive it more.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Kent Performance, or Kent HIGH performance cars... Different co.s

if it was KHPC, it will be done fine. Drive it with confidence... PROVIDING, the tensioner bearings are not noisy/rusty (from steam cleaning), and there is not oil leaking all over the belts from cam seals.

Sorry, Kent HIGH performance cars is the one.

No oil leaks, belts "look" clean and in good condition. Bearings appear to look OK, but can't look in side them.

Have had the stethoscope poking around and can't hear anything that sounds noisy, rattlely, etc, etc.

* edit * Ah, you already said that.  :doh:

• Soap Dodger

Sorry, Kent HIGH performance cars is the one.

No oil leaks, belts "look" clean and in good condition. Bearings appear to look OK, but can't look in side them.

Have had the stethoscope poking around and can't hear anything that sounds noisy, rattlely, etc, etc.

Then keep your ~$800 and enjoy your car  :thumbsup:

edit... as much as you can in a Mon...

bah, leave it!