Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter
LOL :D my zonda's 10,000km service is about $250

there you go....$50 difference. i'd rather the ferrari and pay the $50, but that's just me.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline carl888

• Soap Dropper
  • Get her groggy, do her doggy

• Drives: OHOS
  • Name: Carl Jones
I think the 348 is a car that really has to work hard to find a buyer.  To the average Fcar punter, they offer no redeeming features.  Too new to be a classic, and too old to be a serious contender for the cafe set.  I hopped in the one FF selling and it brought back a lot of memories. 

As a person that likes older cars, even someone like me would find it difficult to put up with a 348's idisyncracies.  The interior build quality is just junk.  It's so bad, it's difficult to put into words.  In the 10 minutes I spent in the car, I broke a window switch and bent the pathetically flimsy indicator stalk!  (And I'm careful).

Under the hood the trim around the luggage area seems to made from some re-constituted cardboard (Seriously) and the door trims seem just so poorly put together its amazing that this car came after the 328.  I would hazard a guess, that the 348 interior is one of the worst I have ever seen from any production car, not only in quality but also in execution.

The early cars had their battery and dry sump oil tank BEHIND the engine...WTF!  This was upated along with the rear suspension and moved to the front wing for the battery and the firewall for the tank for the 1993 MY on cars.

Would I have one?  Absolutely!  They have the most delicious steering with almost 911 like levels of feedback, the last of the "Real" drivers cars and the engine note is IMO the best of any production V8 street engine, sensational.    Coupled to a very flexible engine and a 5 speed gear box, they are a blast.  AFAIK the brakes are identical to the 355 with some nice 4 pot alloy differential bore Brembo or ATE calipers up front.  And they feel quite small too.  I think they look great, yes, the rear looks a tad 1990's, but just accept it for what it is.  From the front I think they look ace!

I still remember going around Eastern Creek in Tippo's 348, did a 1:53 from memory, it was really fast and pretty easy to drive.  I also remember at the Canberra Nationals in 2000 when Tippo was doing some quick times in the wet.  On one of his laps, the car just turned around on the front straight, he went past the start/finish line backwards, still doing 160 or so.  Very funny, because he narrowly missed the tower!  Does anyone remember that?

The car FF has seems really nice, 24,000 kms I think, but everything works, even the air con. 

If you into 348's, you should consider this book, some great pics of its development, or lack of it LOL!

Regards,

Carl.

Offline Aircon

what about relative running costs to, say, a carby 308?

Offline carl888

• Soap Dropper
  • Get her groggy, do her doggy

• Drives: OHOS
  • Name: Carl Jones
what about relative running costs to, say, a carby 308?

Well, I dunno, I've not owned a 348 but I reckon a 348 might cost a bit.  Not so much for the jobs involved but what you end up doing whilst you are in there.  As an example, when I was doing majors on the 308 regularly I recall one Summer the car was due for belts and a valve adjustment.  I started at about 8:00am and did the bets, tensioners, valve clearances, cam seals, air cleaner, fuel filter, points gap, plugs, plus, brake fluid, engine oil and filter and transmission oil.  Admittedly I had a ripper run, mainly because I'd done the service 12 months before and it was fresh in my head and nothing was overtightend so I came apart easily.  I drove the car out of my folks garage at 6:00pm that night.  As a home mechanic, I cannot see how I could do that to a 348, or a 355.

Now with a 348, to do the above, first you pull the engine out!  WTF, you have to pull the engine out?  You even have to pull the engine out to change the water pump!  So the 348 has nothing to tune or synchronise (Motronic 2.5 I think) but then a well set up 308 you don't do much either.  You also have 32 valves to adjust for the 348 but just so much labour to pull the motor.  That just seems like a really dumb system I reckon.

I am sure some of the 348 owners will pipe up about it.  I know you called me about it today, and I laughed, but I just don't see how a 348 could cost less to run than any 308 assuming both vehciles in a similar condition.

Bearing in mind a 355 costs less to run than a 348 (No tappets to adjust) perhaps you can compare the running costs of your 355 with the 308/328?

Carl.

Offline waz356

Interesting insight Carl, thanks. A 348 was the first Ferrari I ever drove. Fond memories of a bloody uncomfortable seat.

Offline Aircon

Bearing in mind a 355 costs less to run than a 348 (No tappets to adjust) perhaps you can compare the running costs of your 355 with the 308/328?

Carl.

the 355 is hideously expensive compared to the 308....and i know a 348 would be worse.

is FF on a  kickback of some sort...what else could make him so blind?

Offline Aircon

348 has one big long cambelt, and yes, engine out. But no power steer or trickery. belt change and fluids is $2500 all inclusive.

how did i miss this clanger???

$2500?? what a lying hound you are. maybe that's what it SHOULD cost, but we all know it wouldn't.

I know you gave me an estimate of  $3500 to do the belts on my 355...and that was 5 years ago!

Offline Aircon

Over a 5 year period, a GT4 will typically cost more to run than a 348. But both are not crazy money pits.

was out at black stallion with a few of the boys today. OMG we had a bloody good laugh about this quote.

that and the 2000km since the belts were done (3 years ago) and the near new tyres on the GTSi (5 years ago)

you're fast becoming (more of) a joke.

try sticking to statements that accurately reflect the situation and surprise us by not living up to your reputation.

of course, we'll have less to laugh about, but we all make sacrifices.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession

I know you gave me an estimate of  $3500 to do the belts on my 355...and that was 5 years ago!

Your estimate was for 355 belts with cam timing/covers/seals etc.... about 32 hours work.

A belt only 348 job (which includes annual servie items/fluids but not tappets/seals etc)... is 18 hours work plus parts... $2400 on average.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
so, regarding runnning costs...

lets see 308 owners pipe up with their last 5 years expenditure... and lets see 348/355 owners with theirs....

I know what i see (and do everyday), and I see how the cars age and wear and tear.

I stand by my assertio  that a 348 will cost less to run than a 308 over the same period/usage... on average.

Sure there are exceptions.... whover spent all that $60k on andecorps car was simply mad or misled, or both.... but there are 348's out there running happily that have had next to nothing spent on them too... just routine services.

Belt service... drive car in... on hoist, drain fluids, remove subframe.... ~4 hours .... service engine/car etc...~ 8 hours... refit all subframe etc etc...~ 6 hours.... job done if there are no "faults"... thats extra, of course.