Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
I believe "maintenance" to be maintaining the car is as near as possible original condition.

Grey area really hey - imagine you weren't anal and you just wanted a good car that worked, where's the line you draw at it being maintenance vs anal?  When the dash is sagging to the floor and carpets are threadbare and half the switches are broken?

My recommendation is a quality index based on chicks - imagine you're taking a chick for a ride in your car, if you find yourself apologising for the state of anything, then it needs maintenance.  I put the same index against many things and base a lot of the Hyacinth Bucket side of life on whether I wouldn't like a chick to see things in that state - car, toilet, bathroom, kitchen, restaurant, face, guts, etc... in the end it comes down to how much you're into anal with chicks, or er, how anal you are and like chicks, or um - well you get the drift :p

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Hmmmmmm, I had a bloke with an E-type that had it painted in the paint shop.

The guy was anal to the extreme. Once the paint was finished, it was perfect apart from a small speck of dust in the roof. We had to repaint it and polish it again because he freaked out big time.

Anyhoo, after having the car on the road for 6 months he came back with a stone chip on the bonnet. It was not that bad, the size of a pin head. He was going nuts, but that sort of thing can't be covered under warranty. The guys said they could touch it up and blend it in but that was not good enough. So anyone who knows anything about 2-pack paint should know that in ordered to get rid of that stone chip, the whole bonnet needed to be painted again.  :irked:

So that goes down as running costs???

Offline Kelsa

• Token Asian Guy
  • Crazy Chinaman @ Work

Hmmmmmm, I had a bloke with an E-type that had it painted in the paint shop.

The guy was anal to the extreme. Once the paint was finished, it was perfect apart from a small speck of dust in the roof. We had to repaint it and polish it again because he freaked out big time.

Anyhoo, after having the car on the road for 6 months he came back with a stone chip on the bonnet. It was not that bad, the size of a pin head. He was going nuts, but that sort of thing can't be covered under warranty. The guys said they could touch it up and blend it in but that was not good enough. So anyone who knows anything about 2-pack paint should know that in ordered to get rid of that stone chip, the whole bonnet needed to be painted again.  :irked:

So that goes down as running costs???

LOL

petrol 99 cents tonight! I'm wondering why the fuck i fuel it up this morning .......... just adds more to my running cost

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter
it would be an interesting exercise to check the maintenance schedule on both cars over 5 years, add up the parts and labour to carry it all out to the letter and see. of course, no one's going to do that...phil could, but it would prove him wrong.

on top of that, if you had to do anything FURTHER than the routine, the differences in the costs between a 308 v 348 would widen and make the 348 even MORE expensive. a 348 has more to go wrong, and when it does, it's more to fix.

anyway....who cares. what it costs is what it costs. this convo would never even have started if phil hadn't made his ridiculous assertion.

I love my car. Buy your own