Offline Big Kahuna

..heyla, stumbled across this site and hadta join up.. ..mid last year, i started lookin' around to see what the market is like for used ferraris.. ..i've never owned one before, and have been itchin' to get into one for a few years now.. ..but admittedly, i don't have much experience in regards to ferrari ownership (neither myself, nor friends/family).. ..i was hopin' for a 308 GTB (preferably QV model, ideally in black) and came close to checkin' out a black 308 QV in melb that was recently on the market.. ..unfortunately recent events have pegged back my ambition, but would still very much like to get into a ferrari, and i do like the Dino 308 GT4's.. ..and what i was looking for, is your opinions on both these models, and how they fare with regular use.. ..thanks for any help..

Offline Big Kahuna

..any ideas, thoughts, opinions, rants..??..

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

Get out and have a few test drives of a gt4 kimosabe, there are quite a few on the market right now and they're a reasonable chunk of the car for the money.  We can try to describe here that they don't drive like a modern car, and they'll need more care and maintenance, but if you love the way the car drives when you've been behind the wheel then those points might not matter as much.  You don't really mention whether you want it for daily driving, restoring and tinkering, trackdays, as a sporty car, or just to have the badge?
C'mon, do it!

Offline Big Kahuna

..from the little i've read/heard,, the 308 GT4's can be used as a daily,, and it'd be used near as much as that.. ..wouldn't be driving it for work (for what i do, obviously not suitable), but if i could drive it every other time than sure would use it when i could yeah.. ..and yeah, have driven alfa's for most of my life, some new, others old.. ..so yeah am realistic about it being unlike a modern car.. ..s'all good by me though..

Online S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
IMO a 308 would be more of  hobby car.  Spend most of the week tinkering away in readiness for the Sunday drive.  Spoken to a few 308 / 328 owners and its pretty much a passion of preparedness. 
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
Spend most of the week tinkering away in readiness for the Sunday drive

And then still maybe only make it home on the back of a truck.  :rolleyes:

If you've searched this forum, then I'm sure you've read about the recent run of water pump/hose issues...

Offline Big Kahuna

..i've read some of the site, but not all forums/posts as of yet.. ..will track down the subject of pump/hose issues.. ..but is it becomin' a trend with the GT4's that they've got constant running repairs..?..

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
..i've read some of the site, but not all forums/posts as of yet.. ..will track down the subject of pump/hose issues.. ..but is it becomin' a trend with the GT4's that they've got constant running repairs..?..

if there is a 30 year old car out there that can be driven regularly and NOT require repairing, I'll buy it!

I repair Ferrari's all the time.....

but until this week, I hadn't done a water pump for 3 years! Now I'm doing 3.

It's just a freak of circumstance.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter

no.

you'll probably get some good answers here from actual owners

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=138510872#post138510872

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Aircon has a VERY full recent history of buying and running his GT4.

You can see the amount of work his one has required to make it reliable.

perhaps he'll post up his total spend to date.

But probably not.!