Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
At the moment the car has no other aero's done, it's about to get 1100hp stuffed into it and a full flat floor, the floor has'nt been done yet as we have to widebody the whole rear of it to take a 335 rear tyre.
To guage the full advantage of all this I would say you would have to put it in a wind tunnel, I have read somewhere about the testing of the diffuser on the 430 Ferrari and it really does nothing until 200kmh so as Phil is saying, if you drive like a sheila you dont need one. We have also modified the bonnet on the ute to let cool air out, appears the owner is an Aston fan.

I'm not taking a shot at you mate, but how do you go about designing and fitting this kind of stuff, to such a high powered car - without any real way to test it? With the kind of power you're talking about - an add on could be downright dangerous at speed unless you have a pretty good idea what it's going to do - it's a bit late at 200K's per hour to find out that the diffuser generates lift rather than downforce - I'd assume this is doubly true with the strange effects the ute body is going to have on airflow.

Downforce is noticable well before 200k's even on older ferrari's - so it does make a difference even if you're not flat out.
C'mon, do it!

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
any downforce is good downforce, so just get it where you can.

then you drive the car and see where the centre of pressure is.

You need to have suspension monitoring sensors to calculate it. You measure spring deflection and compare it to the static load position.

The diffuser works by creating an air space that wasn't there initially.... the effect is like creating a vacuum which sucks the car down.

The closer to the floor it is the more effective.

Unfortunately, too many people are trying to put them on non aero cars. (The local race 944 turbo is a prime example... show a pic of that Glenn  :doh: )

A splitter does NOT create downforce at all, in it's own right (like a diffuser). it simply reduces lift. The air that bounces off the front bumper is prevented from hitting the ground by the splitter. Depending on the shape of the bumper the size of the splitter required can be worked out, and it has a field of adjustability in which it can be tuned for balance.

The 360GT splitter in FIA spec is adjustable in 20mm increments from 40 to 100mm overhang.

Teds car has an ACO body kit, which is full flat floor with diffuser from the rear axle line. The FIA 360GT has the regular road car underbody at the rear, the diffuser starts from near the front of the engine.

Offline Mario

• Name: Polish Doctor
It's still a bloody ute no matter how much this or that you put on it  :p :D :doh:

How about some wings ? :clap: :teehee:

Offline XTREMEIND

I'm not taking a shot at you mate, but how do you go about designing and fitting this kind of stuff, to such a high powered car - without any real way to test it? With the kind of power you're talking about - an add on could be downright dangerous at speed unless you have a pretty good idea what it's going to do - it's a bit late at 200K's per hour to find out that the diffuser generates lift rather than downforce - I'd assume this is doubly true with the strange effects the ute body is going to have on airflow.

Downforce is noticable well before 200k's even on older ferrari's - so it does make a difference even if you're not flat out.
As I mentioned earlier the owner of the car is one of the country's most highly regarded engineers, he has commissioned me to do the body modifications on the car which have all been designed by him. I first made a mock diffuser out of timber and modified it until he was happy with it, once he was happy we went ahead and produced the final product for him and fitted it, he then drove the car and was very happy with the end product, this guy is responsible for some of the quickest race cars in Australia over the last 30 odd years (in thier class) which gives me no reason to doubt his engineering skills. We did question him on the affectiveness of it whilst we were doing it and this led to a short course on aerodynamics. Here's a pic of how it started.

Offline XTREMEIND

any downforce is good downforce, so just get it where you can.

then you drive the car and see where the centre of pressure is.

You need to have suspension monitoring sensors to calculate it. You measure spring deflection and compare it to the static load position.

The diffuser works by creating an air space that wasn't there initially.... the effect is like creating a vacuum which sucks the car down.

The closer to the floor it is the more effective.

Unfortunately, too many people are trying to put them on non aero cars. (The local race 944 turbo is a prime example... show a pic of that Glenn  :doh: )

A splitter does NOT create downforce at all, in it's own right (like a diffuser). it simply reduces lift. The air that bounces off the front bumper is prevented from hitting the ground by the splitter. Depending on the shape of the bumper the size of the splitter required can be worked out, and it has a field of adjustability in which it can be tuned for balance.

The 360GT splitter in FIA spec is adjustable in 20mm increments from 40 to 100mm overhang.

Teds car has an ACO body kit, which is full flat floor with diffuser from the rear axle line. The FIA 360GT has the regular road car underbody at the rear, the diffuser starts from near the front of the engine.
I dont have a pic handy of the 944, will take one today, we also made a front splitter for that which runs all the way back to the front crossmember (and protrudes nearly 150mm from the front of the car for the exact reasons that Phil has mentioned) then a flat floor section which starts at the rear of the engine and runs all the way back to the diffuser, the car is going to be featured on "In Pit Lane" this coming Tuesday night I think.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
As I mentioned earlier the owner of the car is one of the country's most highly regarded engineers, he has commissioned me to do the body modifications on the car which have all been designed by him. I first made a mock diffuser out of timber and modified it until he was happy with it, once he was happy we went ahead and produced the final product for him and fitted it, he then drove the car and was very happy with the end product, this guy is responsible for some of the quickest race cars in Australia over the last 30 odd years (in thier class) which gives me no reason to doubt his engineering skills. We did question him on the affectiveness of it whilst we were doing it and this led to a short course on aerodynamics. Here's a pic of how it started.

Excellent, thanks for that background. I'm really interested in this area, in no small part because of the increasingly quick cars we've got access to, and the differing approach to aero on each.
C'mon, do it!

Offline XTREMEIND

All I see is a Stang in the photo.    :p
Here ya go, dont ask, 150k and still going!, this one would require a whole new thread

Offline XTREMEIND