Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
and then call

http://www.performanceignition.com.au/

to find out why you only need to spend ~$900 installed for an alternative superb electronic system.... one that has major components available worldwide and easily installed/servicable by any autolec worth his salt.

don't call me though.

I don't know shit.  :rolleyes:

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter

I don't know shit.  :rolleyes:

once in a while.....just occasionally.....you're hard to disagree with.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline Aircon

I recently went against my principles and installed electronic ignition (due to poor quality replacement points availability) , but I retained the twin coil and distributors set up for HT, but put all the LT into one dizzy and re-graphed its advance curve to avoid the synchronisation issues of twin dizzies. Whole dizzy job was $900 installed and still looks perfectly original, and all the old bits are in a little box in the boot... could be converted back to points/condensors in 45 minutes roadside if elctronics fail.

really?

would you like to run us through just exactly what has to be done for that system to be converted back to original?

step by step with anticipated time frame for each item would be fine thanks.

As always, thanks in advance for your honest appraisals and good advice.

• Soap Dodger

easy...

Using two mechanics...  :D

put engine on clearly marked TDC firing stroke, one 8mm spanner needed

remove both dizzies, one 13mm spanner needed. noting marked positions. Open them up. One screw driver req'd

refit all removed parts, which are labelled, in a box in the boot.

Re-install to the marks

connect the original wiring that is still fitted.

Drive on.

Offline Aircon

easy...

Using two mechanics...  :D

put engine on clearly marked TDC firing stroke, one 8mm spanner needed

remove both dizzies, one 13mm spanner needed. noting marked positions. Open them up. One screw driver req'd

refit all removed parts, which are labelled, in a box in the boot.

Re-install to the marks

connect the original wiring that is still fitted.

Drive on.

exactly! 45 mins my arse.

anyway....for the edification of everyone with a car that would benefit from electronic ignition, here are the main problems with the standard system as I see it (I'm sure there are more)

1. expensive distributor cap and rotor button. Now 30+ years old and brittle, worn and probably allowing arcing of the spark. will most certainly need replacing anyway.
2. The above are not capable of carrying what's required to give a super high voltage spark.
3.  Points and associated bits and pieces need almost constant maintenance and adjusting.
4. Crude weights and springs which work via centrifugal force to make the advance curve. These also change/vary from day to day and require regular maintenance.

If you can eliminate every single one of those issues AND programme your own advance curve AND get a much stronger and reliable spark (a standard cap and rotor can't), then you'd be a very happy camper. Anything else is a compromise which will end up costing more in the long run with expensive parts and maintenance still required. The BSM system also has a switch to swap curves if, for example, you could only get 91 unleaded instead of 98 for some reason. Has come in quite handy a couple of times.

• Soap Dodger

45 minutes is all it would take to do. That was my statement. And I stick to it.

1) wild assumptions and generally wrong.

2) wrong again. as proved in competition.

3) almost Correct re points....(although you can do 5000 Targa Tasmania km (2 years), at very high average rpm more like 5 years use on the road, on one set without replacing them)  ...............hence change to electronic ~$900 installed.

4) Wrong. weights are good for many many years. Re graph improves reliability too as uses different rate springs.

Absolutely agree re switchable for poor fuel. that's the ONE advantage the programmable system has. Would need timing light and 10 minutes to re-time non programmable system.

BUT, why bother driving hard enough to get pinging if you know you have bad fuel? Just burn the fuel off and refill with better fuel. Trying to extract performance on 91 RON or other poor fuel is simply silly. They won't ping on 91 if regraphed correctly and driven sensibly.

Offline Aircon