Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

a good looking car and inside shots or motor shots?

as requested!

thanks, yes it is.

inside is caged and race seats,. otherwise standard.

yes, it is the one that I mentioned to you some time ago, when we speculated about selling it. But it's not for sale now, or likely to ever be. Well, not until the book is published anyway. :tilt:

It's a standard steel car with wet sump engine... Aussie spec car.

Runs standard exhaust headers but now has megaphone muffler set up, only engine mod is hi comp pistons. The engine has done 4 years of "competition only" use so far. Only real problem to date was one alternator failure... but it was untouched from who knows when when it happened.

I recently went against my principles and installed electronic ignition (due to poor quality replacement points availability) , but I retained the twin coil and distributors set up for HT, but put all the LT into one dizzy and re-graphed its advance curve to avoid the synchronisation issues of twin dizzies. Whole dizzy job was $900 installed and still looks perfectly original, and all the old bits are in a little box in the boot... could be converted back to points/condensors in 45 minutes roadside if elctronics fail.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Electric everything
  • Name: Peter

I recently went against my principles and installed electronic ignition (due to poor quality replacement points availability) , but I retained the twin coil and distributors set up for HT, but put all the LT into one dizzy and re-graphed its advance curve to avoid the synchronisation issues of twin dizzies. Whole dizzy job was $900 installed and still looks perfectly original, and all the old bits are in a little box in the boot... could be converted back to points/condensors in 45 minutes roadside if elctronics fail.

Black Stallion has a vastly superior system for not much more money.

03 9873 0308

I won't enter into the argument, but before you listen to any err...tall stories, it might pay to give them a call.

I love my car. Buy your own

• Soap Dodger

Black Stallion has a vastly superior system for not much more money.

03 9873 0308

I won't enter into the argument, but before you listen to any err...tall stories, it might pay to give them a call.

Their system is quite different.

It's performance is not superior.

It's reliability is not superior.

How you define "superior" would be anyones guess. It's programmable, yes, but there is no need to program it unless you change the enigne spec.

If you want to regraph a normal dizzy it takes only a short time and costs very little. The $900 installed price includes a dizzy re graph.

I was told by another customer he was quoted almost triple the price, installed, So yes, it's still not much more money, but it is a big % more..

There's no argument to enter into. They offer another system. It neither looks nor even attempts to look original. It requires significant installation and set up work.

Theirs is a good system and I know a few happy users of it. But I wouldn't buy one. I don't like running single coils on 308's and I don't like putting 2 coils on Boxers.... But that's just me and my preferance for originality/practicality. Holes cannot be undrilled.

The system I installed is not "mine". It's a well known off the shelf product, available next day. In the event of any problem, any autolec could fix it quickly and cheaply.

Offline Aircon

Their system is quite different.

It's performance is not superior.

It's reliability is not superior.

How you define "superior" would be anyones guess. It's programmable, yes, but there is no need to program it unless you change the enigne spec.

If you want to regraph a normal dizzy it takes only a short time and costs very little. The $900 installed price includes a dizzy re graph.

I was told by another customer he was quoted almost triple the price, installed, So yes, it's still not much more money, but it is a big % more..

There's no argument to enter into. They offer another system. It neither looks nor even attempts to look original. It requires significant installation and set up work.

Theirs is a good system and I know a few happy users of it. But I wouldn't buy one. I don't like running single coils on 308's and I don't like putting 2 coils on Boxers.... But that's just me and my preferance for originality/practicality. Holes cannot be undrilled.

The system I installed is not "mine". It's a well known off the shelf product, available next day. In the event of any problem, any autolec could fix it quickly and cheaply.

well...i don't happen to agree with you.

some of the things I like about the Black Stallion system are that it has a cheap to replace distributor cap and rotor button and it doesn't rely on those ridiculous springs and weights to do the advance curve. those weights vary with temperature and age....something you never have to worry about with the BSM system, plus you can put a much MUCH stronger spark through the BSM system than you can with the old caps and rotors you're suggesting should be reused.

I've seen how those original distributors work....and I've seen them working on a distributor machine. They almost never do the same thing twice.

If you own a suitable car, and you want to see how totally transformed the way it runs can be, don't do half a job with some cheap arse type system, just do it once and do it right. It's the best thing I ever did to my 308.

• Soap Dodger

Putting new ignition on a 308 is not a bad idea, but trying to give it the "perfect" spark IS only half the job...

The ignition is only ever as good as the carburation....

Unless you put fuel injection on too, you ARE only doing half a job.

So, do you want your half job to cost X or XXX ?

You only need to compare a BSM converted car to another with electronic igniton and re-graphed dizzy, to know that there is an unperceiavble difference in the way it runs.

Now, the BSM system IS great, it really is. It's just that I think it's a sledghammer to crack a nut (both financially and technically) and I don't like the way it changes the appearance of the engine bay.

But that's just me.

Oh, and a few guys that listen to me, if you can find them.  :tilt:

Offline Aircon

That is approaching some of the most ridiculous information you've ever posted.

Obviously properly jetting a carby contributes towards a properly running car, but that only has to be done ONCE. If you need me to teach you how to do it, don't bother letting me know...but once it's done, it's done.

Same with the ignition. i will never have to touch it again. Your solution is cheap in cost and cheap in execution. You can't properly graph the timing using weights and springs, and it doesn't matter how close you get it, it doesn't stay that way.

My car does a bit of a cough and a splutter when it's cold, and then that's it. It runs the same now, 10,000km later, as it did when the ignition and jetting was first done. That would not be the case using springs and weights to do ignition timing.

• Soap Dodger

My car does a bit of a cough and a splutter when it's cold, and then that's it. It runs the same now, 10,000km later, as it did when the ignition and jetting was first done. That would not be the case using springs and weights to do ignition timing.

...... which is not perfectly, as carbs are not perfect. They have transitions and they have floats.... both not perfect.

Also, YES, springs do go bad eventually.... about as often as the road springs do.....

I strongly suggest everybody changes their dizzy springs whenever they change their road springs due to perceivable loss of performance.

You know it makes sense.

edit....  :rolleyes:

Offline Aircon

...... which is not perfectly, as carbs are not perfect. They have transitions and they have floats.... both not perfect.

Also, YES, springs do go bad eventually.... about as often as the road springs do.....

I strongly suggest everybody changes their dizzy springs whenever they change their road springs due to perceivable loss of performance.

You know it makes sense.

edit....  :rolleyes:

Ok...well I'm over your hard sell.

Anyone who knows anything about how the timing of these things and how it works knows that the springs and weights are packed in grease.
Anyone who knows anything at all knows that grease gets thinner as it gets hotter.
Anyone who possesses logic, therefore, would know that the timing will clearly change as often as the heat in the engine changes, which is often.
Also, comparing the springs in the dizzy, and all its associated moving  delicate parts, with a single road spring would only be done by a simpleton.

So, back to my original comment, if anyone wants PROPER electronic ignition, and not some cheap crappy modification to a 30yo system, call BSM on 03 9873 0308 and get technical!

I know exactly why FF is pushing this.....and THAT side of this discussion I'm not getting into.

• Soap Dodger

heh!

NO, they are NOT packed in grease!

IDIOT... bwahahahah!

For the last 20 years, yes 20 years, anyone that knows anything about this has been using Motorcycle chain type lube.... you know... the stuff that clings!

bwahbwah!

Too funny...

You've already been upsold... in a huge hilarious way!

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

I know exactly why FF is pushing this.....and THAT side of this discussion I'm not getting into.
why?