Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Ah, so a Victorian. That means VASS.   :grumpy:

Lots of info in the VASS thread.

Again, any questions, just yell. 

Offline 308

that sounds scary...what's VASS..is that where they apply Vas and screw you?  :rolleyes:

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter
yes...I'm looking forward to it....lucky I had almost paid of the house...there goes the mortgage again!!
I'm in Red Hill (mornington peninsula) Victoria....Pinot noir country!!! not forgetting the local Brewery either

i hope you'll join the FCA and come for some drives.

www.fcavic.com

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

that sounds scary...what's VASS..is that where they apply Vas and screw you?  :rolleyes:

Give that man a prize!!! Yes!!!!

But that joke has already been done, but just can't find it now.  :(

GTBqv.au is also going to have his 308 VASSed, so you guys may be able to get a "two for one" deal.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Tell me to shut up here if I'm out of line but not sure I like the Black roof.

Wouldn't it look better colour coded???

Offline 308

Tell me to shut up here if I'm out of line but not sure I like the Black roof.

Wouldn't it look better colour coded???
not out of line...everyone's entitled to their opinions...I like it black...i'd be more concerned with making sure the belts are done and attending to any mechanical issue first...fingers crossed

Offline 308

Hey Mondi..
or anyone that can answer!!
My 308 GTSi is being picked up today in the UK (somewhere near swansea) ..will I need to get the gas removed from the aircon..I've heard you can leave it and seek an exemption if it's a one off import...I don't want any drama's once it lands so I'm thinking just to get the gas removed..if I do remove it is a invoice from the Aircon people enough to satisfy customs?
I'm still waiting for my import approval..it's been two weeks and on the form they advise up to 14 days but on ringing them they haven't even looked at my application and advised me it may take up to 28 days!!!!!! aaaarrrggghhh
I have no where to store the car so I need to ship it asap and it will be on the water for 40 days....
Big problem if the approval doesn't get granted before the car arrives!!! OH NO
this is turning into a headache and it hasn't even left the country yet...
I can imagine clearing it myself is going to be fun...NOT

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter
Hey Mondi..
or anyone that can answer!!
My 308 GTSi is being picked up today in the UK (somewhere near swansea) ..will I need to get the gas removed from the aircon..I've heard you can leave it and seek an exemption if it's a one off import...I don't want any drama's once it lands so I'm thinking just to get the gas removed..if I do remove it is a invoice from the Aircon people enough to satisfy customs?
I'm still waiting for my import approval..it's been two weeks and on the form they advise up to 14 days but on ringing them they haven't even looked at my application and advised me it may take up to 28 days!!!!!! aaaarrrggghhh
I have no where to store the car so I need to ship it asap and it will be on the water for 40 days....
Big problem if the approval doesn't get granted before the car arrives!!! OH NO
this is turning into a headache and it hasn't even left the country yet...
I can imagine clearing it myself is going to be fun...NOT

i removed the gas..why stuff around? you'll need a letter from the people doing it to confirm.

my import permit took 3 weeks. worked out well...i was in Zurich anyway, and popped over the UK to pick the car up, use it for a few days then drop it off to the agent. cost me a $200 fare! :)

car looks good.
I love my car. Buy your own

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

What PP said, best remove the gas and get the letter Faxed/mailed to you for customs.

Don't stress too much about the Import approval but they normally take up to 28 days to come thru.
DOTARS used to be slack(some of mine took 2 months) but have been given a kick up the arse, so if it is not there before the 28 days it up you have grounds to negotiate with customs.
Normally one of two things can happen if you do not have an import approval:
Customs can have the car stored until it comes thru. This costs about $200 a day(maybe more as that was from some years ago now).
Or they can request that you export the car again, the guys I know who have stuffed up in the past have sent them to NZ and stored cars there until given the clear by customs.
Since the car is on the water for 40 days it should be OK.
One word of advice, don't ring DOTARS - they get very shitty if you annoy them.

If you are going to clear the car yourself when it gets here, do you have all the info???
You will need a customs yard arranged to have the car inspected, etc, etc.
Even though you are having the car steam cleaned over there, they still may require you to have it done again here.
And if it is in a Container, you may need to have it Fumed as well.

I couldn't be bothered clearing my imports myself so I use a customs agent. Saves alot of headaches. And I have a customs yard that lets me unload the containers and clean everything myself which saves a few $$$$$s. All of the yards in "inner" Melbourne will not let you in for any reason until your car is ready for pick up.

Remember that all the paperwork needs to be with customs at least a few weeks before the car gets here.

* edit * I know when the Mondial was inspected at one of the yards near the docks in Melb, AQIS were not happy and wanted the car cleaned again. A truck came and picked it up, took it away somewhere and returned it the next day. The truck cost $440 for this and the cleaning bill was $330 from memory as well as another inspection fee from AQIA - $125. 
But I had nothing to do with the importing of the Mondial, it was ALL arranged thru an import agent.

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
When I sent my import approval off to canberra (from London) took only 4 business days to approve. 

WRT aircon.  I typed my own official letter up and got the mechanic to sign it.  My aircon never blew cold air anyway, so didn't matter if they turned the system on.

Didn't have any issues with anyone upon arrival in Oz. Although customs did find a leaf behind the front grill, which required some vehicular disassembly to remove.
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better