Offline 308

YEP....It took longer than DOTRS quote to get the Import Approval....I started to panic and rang them but was very polite and they were very helpful though told me it would take another 28 days (application had already been in a week or two)
It's being loaded at Southampton on a RO/RO and being kept on a lower deck..hopefully between other nice cars...NO insurance so i'm winging it !!! I'm trusting in the Ferrari Gods...cross your fingers for me... :scared:

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
YEP....It took longer than DOTRS quote to get the Import Approval....I started to panic and rang them but was very polite and they were very helpful though told me it would take another 28 days (application had already been in a week or two)
It's being loaded at Southampton on a RO/RO and being kept on a lower deck..hopefully between other nice cars...NO insurance so i'm winging it !!! I'm trusting in the Ferrari Gods...cross your fingers for me... :scared:

I'd be more worried about the RORO than the lack of insurance.

I've SEEN RORO cars loaded, stored, CHAINED, and unloaded.... 'tain't pretty  :scared:

But I'm sure yours will be handled carefully, safely strapped and treated with respect. :tilt:

Offline Randazzo

Calculating Customs Value.

1) Motor vehicle value in foreign currency.
2) Convert to AUD using Federal Reserve current on date of loading on vessel.
3) Calculate 10% customs duty.
4) Add Ocean Freight and Insurance.
5) LCT and GST are applied to amounts 2+3+4.

"Holding Areas"

If no CFC's are present, your DOTARS approval is real and you have paid your duties and taxes then CUSTOMS will NOT be holding it. QUARANTINE are the ones further interested in making sure no soil, grease or other biological matter is entering the country which is why the vehicles then need to go to a QAP (Quarantine Approved Premis) where they are inspected and cleaned if required.

Registration - dunno the importer then do that them selves later on.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

If no CFC's are present, your DOTARS approval is real and you have paid your duties and taxes then CUSTOMS will NOT be holding it. QUARANTINE are the ones further interested in making sure no soil, grease or other biological matter is entering the country which is why the vehicles then need to go to a QAP (Quarantine Approved Premis) where they are inspected and cleaned if required.

Registration - dunno the importer then do that them selves later on.

Do you work for AQIS????

Offline Randazzo

I am a customs broker. Customs are no problem - get your paperwork, pay the cash and sweet. But Quarantine... if they look at the car and see a bit of fly piss on the windscreen they will direct it to a depot for a full wash. For this very reason I avoid vehicle clients - they seem to think I am directing the vehicles myself just for the fun of it.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I am a customs broker. Customs are no problem - get your paperwork, pay the cash and sweet. But Quarantine... if they look at the car and see a bit of fly piss on the windscreen they will direct it to a depot for a full wash. For this very reason I avoid vehicle clients - they seem to think I am directing the vehicles myself just for the fun of it.

Preaching to the converted, been importing cars for years.  :thumbsup:

Offline 308

well..the beast arrives at webb dock (won't mention i was a customs officer down there) on the 27th...no one has made it easy for me with the shipping agent providing me with a copy only of the bill of lading (reckons it's express released so won't need original??)
owner hasn't sent me a receipt or reg papers!!! shipper who arranged CFC removal hasn't sent certificate!!
so far I have got DOTARS approval (genuine!)
got nature 10 form and form to register as a client (for customs)
got chlorine handy in case windscreen washer reservoir hasn't been emptied!!
the car has been steam cleaned but whether it's "as new" i can't say..my biggest worry i reckon
so i think that's all...got to book in aquis but not sure how close to arrival i should do that..
yes..it would be easier to get a broker but i want to learn in case i do this again...it aint rocket science just no one wants you to clear yourself!!!

Offline Randazzo

Yeah - There would be more than one reason why people are telling you not to clear it your self. I am a customs broker and earn a living from importers - so let begin by saying irrespective of your current stance - I do NOT want to clear this for you as I dont like doing vehicles.

I have been in the industry about 15 years and in the past 3 or 4 things have changed in such a dramatic way that it would seem totally foreign to anyone who was out of the loop regardless of their depth of expirience.

I dont know what you did at Customs when you worked for them, but 3 years ago they introduced the ICS which replaced the old compile system. Before if you wanted to do a customs entry you filled in your paperwork (N10) handed it to the officer and they punched it into compile (or you had a broker with access to compile do it for you). Being such an archeic process I do not know for sure thether or not customs will do this for importers any more. Your quarantine entries and directions branch off the customs entry. The only efficient way to do it is to create your own entry online but to do this you need to be registered with customs have your own EDI site and have digital signing certificates.

Sure it isnt rocket science, but neither are many other things however expirience and inside information is allways good value for money. Have a crack at it, just remember this... check with the wharf and ask when WHARF STORAGE will begin, if it is not getting cleared in time and that date is fast approaching then it is time to engage a broker. There are lots of tips I could give but I dont think many ppl will read the post.

Offline Randazzo

OK with all the banter aside.

I am really interested in how this 308 goes so Mr 308 I beg you to ask any questions you like regarding the process up until the car is released from AQIS and Customs. In return I hope you can keep me or the forum informed of all the finer details.

It is easy asking people about past expiriences and general recollections but a real live one would be great.

Offline 308

OK with all the banter aside.

I am really interested in how this 308 goes so Mr 308 I beg you to ask any questions you like regarding the process up until the car is released from AQIS and Customs. In return I hope you can keep me or the forum informed of all the finer details.

It is easy asking people about past expiriences and general recollections but a real live one would be great.
OK..the story so far...I talked to a Customs Officer and after mentioning I used to be one I got the total low down...in NSW customs aare usually happy to assist people clearing themselves but in Vic they frown on it and usually give you the short shift!! however if you seem to know what you are doing then they WILL let you do a manual entry but this process then delays things by 24 hrs..it also means your entry gets more attention than perhaps you would want..ie straight to compliance etc...
I'd been quoted $465 from my shippers agent to do the customs clearance but when i mentioned this price to the Customs officer he laughed and said the going rate is $145 and that was a rip off !!
so I make a few ph calls and settle for $165 with allpoints customs services in Port Melb
everything seemed to be going well and me being eager to get the beast I was tracking the vessel online and noticed I couldn't find the vessel anywhere near Australia a day out from the arrival date !!
alarm bells ringing I rang the shippers to be told "oh no...it's arriving 2 days later than expected" so be prepared to dot you I's and cross your T's...my agent hadn't checked and had booked in AQIS for thurs when the car would only be berthing that day.
Luckily the inspection was rebooked for Fri and as expected failed the cleanliness so was ordered for a steam clean...oh well
so today being monday she is waiting to be picked up by my tilt tray guy (allpoints didnt have a contact!!) from webb dock and taken to Arthurs in footscray rd...one of the approved steam cleaning places...(email me for complete list if anyone needs it)
From there AQIS will reinspect (they have a AQIS guy onsite) and finally I can come and collect the beast....
Think I will get a permit and enjoy driving her home.......yippee
then i will do the cambelts,oil changes and go over her to fix any obvious faults before presenting her for the dreaded VASS
to be continued..... :D