Offline WOLF

Firstly I am new to the site so hi to all of you fellow petrolheads and more specifically you lovers of the prancing stallion like me...

Forgive me if this topic has been covered before but long story short I've got an 01' 360 Spider I want to import from the UK to Melbourne. I've spoken to a few import companies and they reckon with GST & Luxury Car Tax etc etc I could be looking at over $60k !!!   :gnasher:

Now is this really the go or am I having my chain yanked ? - I'd love any help/opinions/guidance any of you can give.

Thanks in advance guys
Wolf

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
Welcome.

If it's a Personal Import then it's comparatively cheap to import.  If not then it'll cost 3 livers.

I imported my car from London.  The process was simple (for an import virgin), pretty cheap, and I'd definately do it again. 

Lots of pitfalls for the unwary though.
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline WOLF

thanks for the quick reply, its a one off personal (just for me - she's all mine and I aint sharing her !). Did you go through a company or do it all yourself ? What did you import and what kind of damage can I expect ?
Where do I start ?
How long will it take ?
Questions questions !
Thanks

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Simon, what did you have to pay in regards to taxes again(can't remember but I know this has been discussed before).
GST? Duties? LCT? 

Wolf, as long as you have owned the car for more than 12 months in the UK it can be imported as a Personal Import.

Never done a private owner PI myself before but Simon and a few others have.

Offline WOLF

thanks, yeah I've had her for over 2yrs now so I pass on that front. I was going to go for a roll on roll off transfer Vs a container as I heard the RORO was a better option for the car ? - Can anyone confirm/deny this ? Shipping time aside how long are we looking at to do this. Also can I get the car through customs and then store her in Melbourne for x months before registering her or does she have to be rego'd as soon as she lands ?

Offline NSX

• The Cow Whisperer

• Drives: Honda NSX
Monday call Deborah Robinson from Austorient - Motorsport Logistics on 0400 378 043 she can inform you want needs to be done, how long it will take and how much it will cost you.

Just mention Les Dombi and she will more than happy to help you.

Offline WOLF

NSX, you da man - thats exactly what I needed. Thanks mate. Will call her monday and let you know how I went.

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
I'll have to pull the figures as it was a couple of years back.  From memory all up on the road here in oz , about a quarter to one third the UK purchase price of the car.  which was way cheaper tha  buying one here. Plus I had owned the car for a number of years prior in the UK. 

I think 1300UK pounds to ship (half container).  6 weeks travel time.  Roadworthy check  and customs check easy and straight forward.  I did spend 3 good months cleaning the car prior to export.  Overall i did not encounter any probs with the personal import route.
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline WOLF

3 MONTHS CLEANING !!! - Are you kidding ??  :confused: :D
One thing I have been told is this, you have to be an Australian Citizen or an Australian Resident to import a car into Oz. Now when once I've married my Aussie Fiancee this August will that make me a Resident ? ( I know I wont be a citizen for 3-4 yrs)
A question off of the car track but is an important element or I'll have to go the RAWS route apparently....and thats more $$$$ I am told

As always guys any answers/help I can pick your brains for is VERY appreciated.
Cheers :thumbsup: