Offline j15

the UK car market is falling down around its ears, cars that were 100k new are now 45k. You can pick up, M3's/911/Aston's & high end Merc's for at least a third less than a year ago.
Shame she didnt bring you back a little something  :doh:

Will call on monday and try and get an answer or two to my situation
cheers   :thumbsup:

If you end up doing this you should know that there is the perception in the oz market that privately imported cars aren't worth as much as aust. delivered ones. So if you're going to sell it, it could take a long time, and you won't get the same price as as an identical car that was was aust. delivered

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

thanks, yeah I've had her for over 2yrs now so I pass on that front. I was going to go for a roll on roll off transfer Vs a container as I heard the RORO was a better option for the car ? - Can anyone confirm/deny this ? Shipping time aside how long are we looking at to do this. Also can I get the car through customs and then store her in Melbourne for x months before registering her or does she have to be rego'd as soon as she lands ?
container rates have tanked in the last 6 months, very very cheap. safer option than roro.

nice avatar

Offline 308

my RORO cost was $900 pounds...I didn't bother with insurance as I heard they treat them ok...some may disagree...my car suffered some minor damage but far cheaper to rectify than the cost of the insurance which I think is about 2% of car value.
it took 41 days in transit
cheers

Offline WOLF

Thank you Scud, you're the first to comment. I hear what you're saying with RORO but I'd be SO pissed if she turned up all knocked about and damaged. I'll container ship here - 1st class all the way  :D

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
Oh and another question....
As I am currenly in HK and the car is in the UK - IN STORAGE... although I have the log book that states I've owned the csince Jan 07 I've not got any paperwork like Ins or tax (rego) to support the car.
Some sites say car OWNED for 12mths some say owned and USED (hence tax & ins) for 12mths

Can anyone shed any light on this ??

Here we go...

They will require every page of your passport to prove that you spent a minimum of 365 days in the country where the car is located.  They will require proof of purchase docs and also proof that you either rent or own a house in the country of ownership (utility bills with your name on them).  I travelled every couple of weeks into Europe and the Middle East, but easily accomplished the 365 day ruling.  Go to the website and they will state exactly what is required to be sent with the PI paperwork.
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline WOLF

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Are you serious ?!??!

yes, he is.

I cans ee the idea though, and it goes something like this...

You own a 360 in the UK, where it is not worth a great deal, partly due to the high volume of cheaper imports that flood the market over there...

Now, Australia thinks they're doing the residents of Australia a FAVOUR by restricting imports... their argument is that it help protect the market here....

and it works to a large degree, you're a case in point. How would you feel if you owned a 360 here already, and then a boat load of cheaper imports suddenly flooded the market, wiping 50% off the value of your Aussie bought car?

It stinks, but that's the way it is.

Personally, I think you should be allowed to import them here hassle free, and then pay all taxes etc, and be done with it.

But I don't own a 360.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

yes, he is.

Was going to say something about RAWS, but it's a PI so no need....... :doh:

Anyhoo, here is some reading:

http://cargoonline.com.au/importapproval.php

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
Here's the current factuals from Canberra.

To be eligible for a personal import the following mandatory criteria must be satisfied:

the vehicle has been owned and used by the applicant for a continuous period of at least 12 months (3 months where ownership and use of the vehicle commenced before 8 May 2000);
at the time the vehicle is imported, the applicant is:
i. an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident; or
ii. a person who has applied to become an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident;
the applicant is of an age that entitles him or her to hold a licence or a permit to drive a road vehicle of that type;
the applicant undertakes to comply with any requirements as to road safety that are imposed in respect of the vehicle by the Administrator; and
the applicant has not imported a road vehicle owned by him/her within the year ending on the day on which the vehicle in respect of which the application is made is landed in Australia.
If an applicant has imported a vehicle under any other provisions in that time, approval will not be granted.
The criteria outlined at (a) to (e) are mandatory criteria as included in Regulation 13 of the Motor Vehicle Standards Regulations 1989. The criteria will be strictly enforced.

Copies of the following documents must be provided to establish ownership and use of the vehicle overseas for twelve consecutive months, or more:

every page of your passport including all blank pages
statement of travel. This involves supplying details of any absences from your main country of residence during the relevant qualifying period for ownership and use of the vehicle. If your travel was for business reasons you must supply a letter to that effect from your employer.
purchase documents
overseas registration documents in your name
driver's licence
a $50 application fee must also be provided.
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better