Offline Savitar

Hey Wolf,

I am looking at importing a 360 from the UK to Aus.  I will own it for 1 year and then look to ship it back.  I believe you went ahead with doing just this?  If so are you able to let me know things like :

- What was the actual cost of the import?
- Did you have any trouble with insurance?
- Have you attempted to sell it and if so were there any issues?

I would appreciate any advice you can provide as I would like to understand if its really worth it.

Thanks

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
are you currently living in the uk for the next year? If not you can not do a personal import if you already live in Aus.

Also why bring a 360 into the country? anyone can bring them in, why not bring a 599 or something over with you if you are living overseas for the next 12 months?
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline Savitar

are you currently living in the uk for the next year? If not you can not do a personal import if you already live in Aus.

Also why bring a 360 into the country? anyone can bring them in, why not bring a 599 or something over with you if you are living overseas for the next 12 months?

Hey Kujotk,

yep, living in Cambridge and will be for at least the next 12 months.  What is the  difference between bringing in a 599 or a 360?  I am trying to understand why some people are saying it will cost $30K to get a 360 as it needs to be complianced but others that were not imported into OZ do not require the $30K of compliancing.   Its all a little confusing.

I thought that a PI was free from having to do the RAWS type of complincing and as long as it passes a roadworthy then it should be fine.  Thoughts?

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

basically for resale later down the track, there is a flood of 360's from the UK in OZ, since you can do it under private import I would bring something over that can not be brought over under RAWS/SEVS like a 430, 599, California ect...

i'm not sure about being excluded from raws compliancing, I have heard that private imports don't need to be complied in the same way, but that is only hear/say.... If the car doesn't hae a compliance plate I would assume it would not be worth much if you decide to sell it later down the track as opposed to a car that meets aussie standards (or has the compliance sticker).

Best bet is to call up the government department that deals with imports, off memory I think it is he department of infrastructure.... but google RAWS and SEVS and you will come across the info.

Offline WOLF

Hi well first off ignore everyone saying you shouldnt bring a 360 over, if its the Ferrari you have or the one you like then what does it matter. On this site there are plenty of haters, hating imports full stop and in particular the 360, if its what you want to do then just do it.
I went through this process a year ago and my 360 is now in Melbourne and while being an expensive and frustrating process that first drive was more than worth it. Roof down, 25 degrees, bright sunshine - awesome.
All in with shipping and tax and LCT and duty and then state tax I had a total bill of aboutA$50k. I also bought over a set of Stradale wheels which bumped up my tax etc but all in you are looking at about that (and that was with a favourable Vic Roads officer who helped me "trim" my state tax bill by 5k.
I started the process in October and the car was tax'd with me behind the wheel in early April - this was with me pushing and chasing every step of the way, if you have a more relaxed approach you could easily see it take longer. The journey by boat was only 32 days of that process to give you some perspective.
Insurance was easy and as for re-sale, for me thats not an issue as I am only adding to my stable not the other way so for me its not an element for consideration but if you are looking at the arb trade then there really isnt one. Again there is a haters viewpoint of buying a UK imported Ferrari in Australia which is bollocks but there really is no educating some people.

I have gone through the compliance procedure and can steer you away from the guys you dont want to speak to and the ones you do. When I tried to do this I found that everyone had an opinion and "knew" what they were talking about but then on further investigation you discover that they actually know next to nothing.

Happy to walk you through the whole process, answer questions, give you contacts etc send me a private PM and we can discuss without all the noise and pollution of the general forum.

Wolf

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Hey Wolf, just to clarify your post, the bit that says you had a total bill of $50k..

that doesn't include the compliancing right? As yours is PI.???

To RAWS comply a 360 costs somewhere between $15k for a "mates rates"  one, and $25k for a "retail", yes?

So, based on your personally imported and personally managed import, a similar car on RAWS import permit would cost ~$75k on top of UK purchase price.???

Yes?

Meaning, lets say, that a UK purchase price of lets say ~45k pounds at ~0.57p/$ would end up owing ~$155k on the road here?????

Offline adam01

Hey Wolf, just to clarify your post, the bit that says you had a total bill of $50k..

that doesn't include the compliancing right? As yours is PI.???

To RAWS comply a 360 costs somewhere between $15k for a "mates rates"  one, and $25k for a "retail", yes?

So, based on your personally imported and personally managed import, a similar car on RAWS import permit would cost ~$75k on top of UK purchase price.???

Yes?

Meaning, lets say, that a UK purchase price of lets say ~45k pounds at ~0.57p/$ would end up owing ~$155k on the road here?????

Worked the numbers per attached (courtesy of Ash'd ready reckoner s/s) - say $130k=big difference)
Did I miss anything?

Offline deangpsx8

• I Am Legend
  • I am legend in my own lunchbox

• Drives: Everyone Crazy
  • Name: Dean
  • www: Intellitrac.com.au
Freight is a little low.

Allow for transport to the docks in UK.
Allow for proper packing and strapping etc.
Allow $1K for insurance.
Allow for the unloading and clearing fees here.
For some reason they tend to slap on another fee of about $1K at this end.

Then allow for the customs glorified car wash about $500.

I would allow another $5K as a safeguard just in case.

Persistence Beats Resistance

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

Worked the numbers per attached (courtesy of Ash'd ready reckoner s/s) - say $130k=big difference)
Did I miss anything?

If it is imported under raws you will not have a $130K difference compared to the cars selling in Australia, even as a private import there won't be $130k difference  :doh: (unless i have missread what the $130k difference comment was refering to...????

ANd wolf is right that it doesn't matter if you already own the 360 and purely want to bring it over with you and you have a connection with that car, but i'm just saying if it was me, i'd bring over a f430 under private (no LCT, less hassel, cheapest way to bring over a car), sell that (plenty of profit in it), then get the 360 in by the RAWS route (where there is less profit because there is a high number of 360's for sale in aus, up to you, depends on funds ect.... but i'm just saying what I would do...

By the way give us some info on your car, is there an add of it for sale? And what are you asking?

Offline deangpsx8

• I Am Legend
  • I am legend in my own lunchbox

• Drives: Everyone Crazy
  • Name: Dean
  • www: Intellitrac.com.au
the $130K is the landed price quoted by Ash was based on the customs import calculator, given that the car is valued at $45K
FF reckons $155K

The error in the customs calculator Ash used is that the value of taxable import did not include the freight cost.

My personal experience in importing cars, customs has included the freight costs (dock to dock) in the value of taxable import.

I reckon it will land and complied ($25K raws)  for a touch under $135K.

Beware...customs calculates the value in AUD based on the exchange rate on the day it is loaded on the ship.  Not the day you paid for it.

In my case i got hit an extra $12K, when the Aussie Dollar fell from 94 to 72.

A way out is to pay for the car in Aussie Dollars.
Send the money overseas in Aussie Dollars.
Get a receipt in Aussie Dollars.
Let the seller convert the money over there.
A safe bet even if you have to pay a little more.
Persistence Beats Resistance