Offline MAD828

• Drives: 1995 F355 GTS
Hi everyone,

I posted up on F Chat and was pointed to this board as a more helpful resource here is hoping this is the case.

As most I have always lusted for a Ferrari since I was a lil tyke, my first love was for a 348TB which I had a burago model of when I was about 10. I have now had my sights on a F355 as to me its one of the greatest designs and best sounding vehicles of all time.

Im 26 now and with 2 businesses I have built up enough to start my pursuit of ownership this year. (always had the goal of ownership before 28)

I have been following the market and am pretty much set on an F355. There is one 360 Spider I really like that a friend owns that I would purchase in a heartbeat if it ever comes up for sale.

I have now driven both the F355 and 360 admittedly the F355 was not really much of a drive. And have had drives in the 355 and 360, and an f430.

I have first hand experience of working on these vehicles, I have helped install a mille migla exhaust on the F355 and a clutch change on the late Rene Rivkens black 360 modena (only 1200 kms on the odo mind you), whilst doing work experience at Scuderia Veloce that used to be at East Sydney. I know the difference between the models is quite large, and the build quality is overall is better on the 360.

But from reading on the boards owners fall into 2 categories generally 355 or nothing ( or any model that speaks to them), or buy the cheapest Ferrari you can afford. If I was to go the 360 route id wait for my friends Spider to become available sometime this year.

The one I have had my eye on is this example: http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/ferrari-f355-1998-10958813?base=1216&vertical=Car&cr=3&eapi=2&__N=1246%201247%201252%201282%204294966380%204294966369%201216&silo=Stock&Range=Price:Min,Max~0.5&sort=default

Its been sitting on casales for atleast 12 months and has dropped from 159k to 129k (and back up to 138K) in that time. It looks clean and has the fixes like fabspeed headers and service history with Zagame. Does any one know of this particular vehicle?

It has relatively high kilometres for a Ferrari 53k, but I have seen some with 20k kms with bodys and interior that present as they have done 80k kms or more, Im aware of the ability the 360 ECU has of storing actual mileage regardless of odo reading but unfortunately service records are the best way of authenticating the vehicles mileage on a F355.

Giallo Modena is not my first preference but havent seen a really clean 355 for sale at reasonble prices. Im only set on a 6 speed manual and berlinetta, preferably in Rosso Corsa with Tan interior and black carpet.

Updated:
I have since made the journey to Melb to view this car and had a very limited test drive (10mins) and a viewing of the car, for me the seems to be a few holes in service history and the description is somewhat misleading. The claimed "recent" major belts service was performed in 2010 with the car having clocked 49k kms, and as Im aware the book states 3 years and some stretch to 5, but recent it is not. a receipt was provided in the book but the book not stamped for that service, it was also had long gaps between services and if I was an owner id get an annual fluids change on top of 4 year minimum majors and Id request stamped books the whole way through (maybe thats just me)

Also I find it a little strange that it is being sold by a Zagame salesman from Alfa/Lotus as his car, and yet its not advertised via Zagame Ferrari, even though they were the last to service the car in 2010.

I would get a PPI done ofcourse (the seller wants Zagame to perform this) im located in Sydney and Im not afraid of a little maintenance my race car taught me the expense of cars ( I spent 12k on race tyres alone this year) I just want sorted car, with an engine that wont need costly rebuild any time soon.

Who can perform a PPI in melbourne that is known for reliable and comprehensive check up? The seller insists the inspection is done where the car sits at the dealership aswell.

The seller has stated their price to be a firm 125k.

Any advice is appreciated. Im trying very hard to buy with the head and not the heart. Any pointers or heads up is much appreciated.

I look forward to joining the ranks soon enough.

Offline ferrarista2

• Drives: Slowly
My advice is to buy with your heart.....get the car you want....
If you go down the 360 path, and go import, Make sure you get one that has already been here for a while....oh and convertibles are for women, go the coupe
Everything looks better in carbon fibre

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Offline MAD828

• Drives: 1995 F355 GTS
A member PM'd me to ask here instead of Fchat lol.

I'm definitely set on a F355, running the VIN through a friend who knows Ferrari's and has possibly worked on this very car, from his memory it's been heavily tracked and has had a real tightass first or second owner hence the service history is a little lacking.

Might have to keep looking.

Offline vegas

• It puts the lotion on its skinor it gets the hose

• Drives: Tesla & Ferrari

My 2c worth:

High K's only affects resale value - but if you buy high K's and sell with high K's - not too bad a trade off. Buy with low K's sell with high = increased depreciation.

High K's does not neccessarily mean the quality of the vehicle will be lacking - some low K cars have been driven by rich men who don;t appreciate what that have or drive it like a 4WD (rims scared by gutters etc)  or worse their wives with sharp finger nails and large rings that score the leather and leave make up engrained in the leatherwork making it hard to restore (sexist? Yes...and?.) . I'd rather a high K's well-serviced car, regularly driven car, owned by a passionate person that loves F-cars, than a trophy car that's been sitting in a rich man's garage barely being driven - while seals etc perish.

Get a PPI for sure - go to FF for that, cheaper more informative and not restricted by the company line. Agree any import can be OK, but get one that's been here for a awhile, if you don't get an Aussie one. 53,000 K's isn;t to high if it been well mainatined - check out the milages in the US for 360's (Yanks seem to really drive their cars - many are around 100K and still fine.

Good luck. 
It puts the lotion on its skin, or it gets the hose again.

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
A member PM'd me to ask here instead of Fchat lol.

I'm definitely set on a F355, running the VIN through a friend who knows Ferrari's and has possibly worked on this very car, from his memory it's been heavily tracked and has had a real tightass first or second owner hence the service history is a little lacking.

Might have to keep looking.

If it's been tracked and maintained, then no biggie. I tracked my 355 and it FORCED me to get a whole bucket of things fixed and improved... then it caught on fire, but that's another story.

Have you driven both the 355's and 360's? I've owned both and wouldn't own a 355 again.
C'mon, do it!

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Have you driven both the 355's and 360's? I've owned both and wouldn't own a 355 again.

Oh, really??? Damn I wanted one - not keen on the 360, dunno why just couldn't for some reason......

Oh well - just have to get a 458 in a few years.....    :p

*edit I'd still have PP's 355CH!!!!    :tilt:

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

Phil is the best around - better than the dealer.

https://aussieexotics.com/forum/profile/ferrarifixer-61/

thanks, but I'm offended you even compared me to the dealer!

I won't do inspections at the dealer.  I wouldn't want to teach them anything!

If any seller insists on any particular inspection place, simply walk away from the car. It's obviously a biased deal already.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

and Mondi, Millards 355 CH is the best 355CH in the country. Straight chassis, non story, almost perfect car.