Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession

You may have not been 100% correct on that one.......     :D

yeah, but 50% is still a pass.......

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
LHD cars can only be bought in and remain LHD if they're over 25 years (in VIC), as they can then get club plates, subject to meeting club membership and inspection criteria.. (my lancia 8.32 is LHD and even though I have EVERYTHING I need already to convert it to RHD, I STILL can't be bothered to fight that administrative fight)

Over 30 years, it can be fully registered and used without limitation other than carrying signage... unless it's on club plates, when it must meet that criteria again.

Other than that, LHD cars can only come here if for trade/show/compettion purposes, and cannot be registered.
What are the rules re club rego for LHD cars in Vic? In SA currently anything older than 30 years can be reg'd but the rules apparently night be changing to pre 1979 only??? Or so I hear!!

I just paid a deposit on a 1987 M3 E30 that Marc B in NSW imported done only 69k kms!! In theory should be able to have it on Club rego using my Vic address depending on what the conditions are! Is it limited days per year?
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Here is the info that you need:

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/PermitsModificationsAndDefects/OtherPermits/ClubPermits.htm

At the last Hot Rod committee meeting, it was brought up that Vicroads are looking at a 1979 Cutoff for the old 30 year rule(for full rego) and 25 year rule for club rego will stay the same.

The question was asked, what happens when we get to 1989 on the 25 year rule, as this is when the RAWS scheme kicks in for imports. Answer was, Too hard, ask again in 5 years!!!   

Offline wolfman

• Drives: Audi R8, X3 M-Sport
  • Name: Dylan
Yes of course LHD vehicles can be bought in, there are a few schemes:
a)Personal import (you have to have owned and resided in the country of origin for at least 12 consecutive months), you are allowed to bring in 1 vehicle every 5 years under this scheme and ADR's aren't as rigid.
b)If vehicle older than 1989 then it's just a case of filling out import application and then altering vehicle to meet necessary rego requirements.
c)1989 or newer - RAWS (Registered Automotive Workshop Scheme), this systme the vehicle has to be not in full volume production, be on the SEVS list (Special Enthusiast Vehicle Scheme) http://rvcs-prodweb.dot.gov.au/sevs/sevsindex.html , if it's not on there then it needs to be eligible to be put on (I can help, I have done a few).
Then it get's imported and complied to ADRs through a RAWS.

hope this helps
Lindsey

As others have said, nope, a PI doesn't exempt you from LHD. I was told that I couldn't bring in a Z8 for this reason.

In lighter news, Deloreans are now legal!

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
Here is the info that you need:

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/PermitsModificationsAndDefects/OtherPermits/ClubPermits.htm

At the last Hot Rod committee meeting, it was brought up that Vicroads are looking at a 1979 Cutoff for the old 30 year rule(for full rego) and 25 year rule for club rego will stay the same.

The question was asked, what happens when we get to 1989 on the 25 year rule, as this is when the RAWS scheme kicks in for imports. Answer was, Too hard, ask again in 5 years!!!

Thanks Mondi! Looks like there is hope yet!! :-)
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline V.I.C.E.

I never said that LHD car didn't have to be converted to RHD under PI rules. I said ADR's aren't as rigid.

I just listed the ways in which a car can be bought in to the country.

Offline V.I.C.E.

It's my understanding that this is a way of "phasing out" the 30 year non RHD conversion factor and bringing more vehicles inline with ADR's.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

It's my understanding that this is a way of "phasing out" the 30 year non RHD conversion factor and bringing more vehicles inline with ADR's.

From our talks with Vicroads, they just want to made "a year" as the last cutoff to make is easier.

It was mentioned that 1979 or 1980 may be the cutoff but as we are already past that, it may be a little hard for them to do this.

It will definitely cutoff at the end of 1988.

This is starting to become a really grey area and has caused a few issues.

Here in Vic, cars made after Jan 1969 have to be VASSíed. This is not so bad for the earlier cars but once they hit the mid 80ís itís a nightmare!
In some cases itís almost like complying the car all over again!!!

Offline V.I.C.E.

From our talks with Vicroads, they just want to made "a year" as the last cutoff to make is easier.

It was mentioned that 1979 or 1980 may be the cutoff but as we are already past that, it may be a little hard for them to do this.

It will definitely cutoff at the end of 1988.

This is starting to become a really grey area and has caused a few issues.

Here in Vic, cars made after Jan 1969 have to be VASSíed. This is not so bad for the earlier cars but once they hit the mid 80ís itís a nightmare!
In some cases itís almost like complying the car all over again!!!

There definitely becomes a tipping point at which it's not viable, so choice of vehicle and reasons behind import need to be weighed