Offline Rossi

Ok so does anyone know the answer? - Is there anyway of importing a LHD into Australia? Iam sure its a no as the Oz Govt are killjoys but happy to be surprised.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Ok so does anyone know the answer? - Is there anyway of importing a LHD into Australia? Iam sure its a no as the Oz Govt are killjoys but happy to be surprised.

Forget it - it's easier and less painful to get an anal probe!!!!

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com

Depends if it's left-handed or right...

Offline Rossi

hahhah as I feared. There are SO many LHD only cars screaming to be bought over but I dont fancy the rubber glove treatment.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A burgandy car.
Unless you want an older car, the year depends on the State.

Offline adam01

But only once a year for fear of getting to like it  :D

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head

What is so bad about an AP???? You say it as of it's a bad thing? ;)
Enjoying Life!!!!

Offline V.I.C.E.

Yes of course LHD vehicles can be bought in, there are a few schemes:
a)Personal import (you have to have owned and resided in the country of origin for at least 12 consecutive months), you are allowed to bring in 1 vehicle every 5 years under this scheme and ADR's aren't as rigid.
b)If vehicle older than 1989 then it's just a case of filling out import application and then altering vehicle to meet necessary rego requirements.
c)1989 or newer - RAWS (Registered Automotive Workshop Scheme), this systme the vehicle has to be not in full volume production, be on the SEVS list (Special Enthusiast Vehicle Scheme) http://rvcs-prodweb.dot.gov.au/sevs/sevsindex.html , if it's not on there then it needs to be eligible to be put on (I can help, I have done a few).
Then it get's imported and complied to ADRs through a RAWS.

hope this helps
Lindsey

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Yes of course LHD vehicles can be bought in, there are a few schemes:
a)Personal import (you have to have owned and resided in the country of origin for at least 12 consecutive months), you are allowed to bring in 1 vehicle every 5 years under this scheme and ADR's aren't as rigid.
b)If vehicle older than 1989 then it's just a case of filling out import application and then altering vehicle to meet necessary rego requirements.
c)1989 or newer - RAWS (Registered Automotive Workshop Scheme), this systme the vehicle has to be not in full volume production, be on the SEVS list (Special Enthusiast Vehicle Scheme) http://rvcs-prodweb.dot.gov.au/sevs/sevsindex.html , if it's not on there then it needs to be eligible to be put on (I can help, I have done a few).
Then it get's imported and complied to ADRs through a RAWS.

hope this helps
Lindsey

OK - let's get a few things straight!!

a) PI's must be converted to RHD, there are very, very, very few cases where they can be left in LHD configuration!
b) vintage and classic cars can be LHD this is not an issue, and the old rule used to be older than 30 years but this is now a grey area. It will depend on the States Rego laws. But I don't think this has anything to do with the question asked.
c) Of course there is the RAWS route but cost of conversion is a factor that needs to be considered as this puts a large cost on the compliance work.

You wouldn't bring in a LHD 360 as the cost of conversion would kill any savings.

Take for example the Ford GT - conversion costs on one of them is $115,000!!!!!

So sure you can import a LHD vehicle but it's gunna cost you an arm and leg. It would have to be something special for a start and you would need someone who can do a conversion without stuffing it up!!!

So the Anal Probe is still less painful!!!!!

Offline Rossi

There in lies the crux of it - an SLR McLaren for example, there is no-one bar Merc that could (but wont) convert that to RHD so thats not able to imported to Oz. Tell me anyone that has ?