Offline 355Aussie

Let me say first up that a sequential manual is nothing near a F1 transmission. F1 is true manual and quite simply is brilliant.

So you have not told us how much you are willing to spend? This dictates what you are looking at because if it is 100K or so then of course the cars will not be perfect and need a bit of work.

But also there are a stack of them on the market around this price range that are fine. You may need to spend a little bit more to get it up to your standards but they are fine mechanically and most have good bodies.

You said you have done PPI's on 8 or so?? Tell us what were the issues on the cars that made you walk away so we can help you a little bit more.

Now Wattens has a very good point in that if you go to 200K you could get a F430 and then we are talking but like I said what is the budget?

Offline Giddyup

Hi 355Aussie

Well, I have only done PPI's on 4 I think (lost count), but off the top of my head, the issues I encountered were: general disrepair such as check engine light on, (scan picked up fuel pump/AFM issues), some fuel tank venting issue as well? unprepared bodywork damage like rolled out fender lips with cracked paint (I know they are common), underbody pan damage and missing bolts, severely worn brakes, worn clutch, rough idle, long interval between services (over two years on one vehicle) with poor oil, and general interior damage which I believe might be common to any use car such as worn bolsters, switches and centre console with scratches, alloy rim curb rash, damage to the velocity stack covers, worn suspension bushes and engine mounts, and obviously some have respray which most were a good job, but some areas on some were quite bad. Also encountered two with tears in the roof material, which I hear is expensive to replace. not all vehicles had all these problems, but all had many. There were other issues too which I cannot remember but will inform you if I do. No matter what the value, I have always treated and maintained my vehicles well and am looking for someone who ideally would have maintained their 360 similarly - asking too much? Perhaps. But I thought I'd ask around here seeing as you guys are enthusiasts like myself. There is a 360 Modena F1 on carsales which 'appears' to be in good nick and the description and pics seem to suggest the owner, a member of the FCoA, is telling the truth. But it isn't what I am after sadly.

I am willing to spend up to around the $140-145k mark for a 'good' example with clearly good maintenance. And therefore I was hoping a member here or part of the Ferrari club of Australia might be willing to part. The ones above just came across a not having being treated well.

Offline 355Aussie

Geezzz........................

Definately those issues aren't good so now I understand. At 140K or so there is no reason why you shouldn't find one soon. In fact I knew of one recently that sold for 145K being 2004 and this was an excellent example probably what you were looking for. It was a spyder as well red with tan.

I will keep an eye out for you as I know a few people around the traps.

Just FYI engine mounts, ball joints, bolster wear and sticky interior are common issues but they are not to bad to get fixed nor that expensive.

The ones you may have found must be very bad imports.

Ill keep an eye out.

What about this one and Aussie delivered.

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=SSE-AD-2502933&Cr=31

Offline HWHL

general disrepair such as check engine light on, (scan picked up fuel pump/AFM issues), some fuel tank venting issue as well? 

The fuel tank venting issues makes me smile, I remember not long after picking mine up I was entering a freeway, picked a gap in the traffic and after getting there I noticed the CEL on. My fist thought was shit I have I broken something. The code ended up being for Fuel tank venting, Turns out I hadn't tightened the fuel cap enough and it was venting vapor.lol.
I would agree with what the more experienced guys have said on the last 5 yrs service, and not be to focused on the consumable parts that you have to replace anyway as they wear, and negotiate a price that your happy with from there then replace the clutch/brakes/belts or whatever it needs

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Let me say first up that a sequential manual is nothing near a F1 transmission. F1 is true manual and quite simply is brilliant.

Huh?

I think you're getting lost.

No car has a sequential manual outside of race cars.

And F1 is not exactly true manual.

To clarify... 360 use near identical gearboxes whether f1 or manual. It's simply a robotic operation on f1.

Both are technically H pattern.

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
at $140k you will get the cream of the crop in 360's

Ive been just casually keeping an eye out, and the manual spiders generally seem to be listed for $120-$130. ive seen quite a few be listed and gone within a week or 2, so that would indicate they're likely very tidy cars, so if you're looking to pay above that sort of price i'm sure you'll easily find a beauty, its just a matter when, not if.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
Hi 355Aussie

Well, I have only done PPI's on 4 I think (lost count), but off the top of my head, the issues I encountered were: general disrepair such as check engine light on, (scan picked up fuel pump/AFM issues), some fuel tank venting issue as well? unprepared bodywork damage like rolled out fender lips with cracked paint (I know they are common), underbody pan damage and missing bolts, severely worn brakes, worn clutch, rough idle, long interval between services (over two years on one vehicle) with poor oil, and general interior damage which I believe might be common to any use car such as worn bolsters, switches and centre console with scratches, alloy rim curb rash, damage to the velocity stack covers, worn suspension bushes and engine mounts, and obviously some have respray which most were a good job, but some areas on some were quite bad. Also encountered two with tears in the roof material, which I hear is expensive to replace. not all vehicles had all these problems, but all had many. There were other issues too which I cannot remember but will inform you if I do. No matter what the value, I have always treated and maintained my vehicles well and am looking for someone who ideally would have maintained their 360 similarly - asking too much? Perhaps. But I thought I'd ask around here seeing as you guys are enthusiasts like myself. There is a 360 Modena F1 on carsales which 'appears' to be in good nick and the description and pics seem to suggest the owner, a member of the FCoA, is telling the truth. But it isn't what I am after sadly.

I am willing to spend up to around the $140-145k mark for a 'good' example with clearly good maintenance. And therefore I was hoping a member here or part of the Ferrari club of Australia might be willing to part. The ones above just came across a not having being treated well.

Ummm almost all of the issues you have mentioned are either normal Ferrari ware and tear or just general maintenance or issues that EVERY 360 will get. The guard rolling happens to 100% of 360's sooner or later, afm is hardly an issue suggesting a bad car... Just maintenance as these are old cars now...   Underbody pan missing bolts... $20 for a full set of new ones... They are probably the same bolts Alfa/fiat cars use...   Worn brakes is maintenance, worn clutch is maintence... Rough idle could be related to afm, old fuel in the tank, spark plugs all of which are general maintenance...  Service records don't really mean much as how hard is it really to faKe them anyway, it's just a stamp in a book, office works can make the stamp for you... Only the last few services are worth looking at anyway and mileage driven between services in my opinion is more important than servicing every year, if you miss a time service a couple times over 10-15 years, then what's the big deal??? As long as when it gets it's service this is accounted for (and usually it's just a matter of changing the brake fluid so it doesn't start getting hard and destroying the brake system. Ferrari plastic switches turn to shit by themselves over time, the rubbery top coating just disintegrates, brush it off with a toothbrush and all is good, or if you are pedantic you can get them redone (not worth the time money or effort doing). Gutter rash is between $50-$80 per wheel to repair. Bushes and  engine mounts are maintenance (again old cars = things ware), roof tearing on two cars??? Wtf??? How the hell lol???  Almost all older ferraris will need a respray on the front, they stone chip extremely easily if they don't have a protective film over the front of the car.

If all these issues were on one car, then yes stay away, but if all these issues were spread amongst 3 or 4 cars... There is nothing really here other than the roof tearing that isn't normal ware and tear on cars raging from 10- 15 years old...

Sorry mate but you are not going to find any 360 with no problems at all, wear and year and general maintenance is an ongoing thing, that doesn't mean it isn't taken care of or well mainted because some bushes are worn (bushes are always bloody worn, depends who you ask, one mechanic will say its fine for another few years or 20 000km and another (generally a genuine Ferrari service centre) will say they are worn every year the cAr comes on for servicing...

My advice to you, give up looking for a 360, you are asking too much for a 9-15 year old make, probably too much for a f430 as well. 355Aussies 430 is in as new condition, but I'm sure if you left me with the car for 20 minutes and a 2 minute drive around the block, I'd also find a list of things that would be worn and needing maintenance and repairs of some sort. Does this make it a bad car??? No! It means it is not a brand new car. If you want a new car buy a new car. Don't expect a new car from a 10 year old car.

I'm not attacking you personally, but just pointing out you are looking for basically an impossible outcome.

Enjoying Life!!!!

Offline 355Aussie

Nope my F430 needs nothing as it has been very well maintained by me from Day 1 of ownership.

You should see my drivers bolster seat. It is literally brand new.

Bodywork is brand new as well protected with film everywhere.

Happy for you to have a look at it one day Wattens then you can give me a good opinion.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
Nope my F430 needs nothing as it has been very well maintained by me from Day 1 of ownership.

You should see my drivers bolster seat. It is literally brand new.

Bodywork is brand new as well protected with film everywhere.

Happy for you to have a look at it one day Wattens then you can give me a good opinion.

Lol, if something like bushes are worn or on the verge of being worn, a PPI should pick it up even though it isn't causing issues to how the car drives, but none the less according to a PPI it says it needs to be done. Keeping in mind this is just general ware and tear. There is always something that can be improved on even new cars so anything that has gone around the block is sure to need something done. Thee is no such thing as a used car that doesn't have any faults.

Ps I know where you get your car serviced, if anything after going down that driveway once and reversing it up that stupid dungeon driveway, you definately have a clutch showing ware of some sort . But you know what I mean, this guy is rejecting used cars because a clutch is worn (well fuck me if anyone can find me a clutch that won't get worn please let me know), god forbid I should use my brakes at all incase the next guy's PPI says it needs new pads. As I said before, a flawless example is impossible to get, there will be a compromise of some sort, the variable will be how much compromise  ;)

If you have your heart set on a flawless 360, buy the best one you can and throw another $50-$infinite at it taking it to a state better than it would have from the factory. 360's from the factory were never put together anywhere near as good as the latest ferraris are...

But be warned, once you drive the car after a clutch change, or brake change, there is ware on it ;)

I recon you should also try and find a 360 with the original petrol in the tank from the factory, otherwise reject it , you've rejected all other consumables and general maintenance and upkeep ;)
Enjoying Life!!!!