Offline kimben

Hi, I'm interested in buying a classic Ferrari, but without any mechanical skills or engineering background I wonder whether I will get bogged down in the ongoing costs of keping such a car.

Can anyone give me some indication of the sort of costs to keep such a car in sound mechanical condition. Are parts and suppliers available for these cars or does everything have to come from overseas?

I keen but I don't want to end up being bitter and twisted about such a beautiful machine.

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

Define classic? 308, 328, 355?

I'd budget 5K/annum for maintenance, assuming you get a good one to start with.

Offline ferrarista2

• Drives: Slowly
Hi, I'm interested in buying a classic Ferrari, but without any mechanical skills or engineering background I wonder whether I will get bogged down in the ongoing costs of keping such a car.

Can anyone give me some indication of the sort of costs to keep such a car in sound mechanical condition. Are parts and suppliers available for these cars or does everything have to come from overseas?

I keen but I don't want to end up being bitter and twisted about such a beautiful machine.
simple...if you want to spend $80k on one, start looking for one in the high 50's, keep the rest for maintenance. They ALL cost alot to run, regardless of age.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Don't buy parts here. Buy them from oversea. Even with Air mail they are heaps cheaper. In most cases.

For example the belts for my Ex-Mondial cost me 7 pounds.

I know you said you can't do anything yourself, but get the parts yourself and find someone who is reliable to do the work.

But at the end of the day, if you are going to buy one make sure you have a fair old slush fund put away to keep it on the road.

Offline XTREMEIND

Depends on how much you drive it, if it is just going to be a sunny Sunday car then as mentioned above around 5k a year would see you good as long as you purchase a sound one to start with.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
it depends entirely on the type and frequency of usage, and as said, how good the car you buy is.

But for example, I just serviced a 328 that was all in great shape from it's last visit to me which was a bit over 2 years ago.

It has since done 4000km over those 2 years.

It needed 4 tyres and a service, and aircon fix and not much else. It was $3k all up. Or $0.75 per km.

It's safer to budget for $1 per km, and you'll have years where you're ahead and years where you're behind.

if this car had NOT needed tyres, it would have been $0.50c per km.

If it had needed a major (tappets and belts) service and a clutch and a set of brake discs, it would have gone up to nearer $2 per km.

Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

simple...if you want to spend $80k on one, start looking for one in the high 50's, keep the rest for maintenance. They ALL cost alot to run, regardless of age.

I disagree, buy a good car straight off.  One thing you can't buy is time.  ATEOTD you get what you pay for.  Speaking from experience and paying for it now. :thumbsup: