Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter
I forgot to mention that the distributor supplied with the BSM kit bolts straight in the where the original one is.

When I took off the original distributors from the GT4 BOTH caps had started arcing (not surprising, they were 30 years old) and needed replacing at a cost of about $150 each...and even THEN, they can't take the extra high voltage that the BSM ignition system is capable of.

Keeping in mind that the whole thing is reversible if you ever wanted to do that, I don't see why you wouldn't optimise it so that it works as well as possible with the big plus that if anything ever DID go wrong with the cap it's only a few $$ to replace...and let's not even TALK about reusing your old worn out and inaccurate distributor which would cost a right nut to replace if the problem was terminal!

p.s. This is for general information...I get no kick backs, commissions or have any affiliation.

However, i'm open minded, and if anyone, apart from you know who, who's just posting self serving rubbish, has any further options or information about this system that I'm not aware of, I'd love to hear from you!

I'm not into doing major mods to cars like this by any means, but fully reversible modernisations that make such a positive difference to the car whilst still keeping with the original period look is fine by me!
I love my car. Buy your own

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

Mr Aircon,

Have you ever done a writeup of 308 vs 355 to drive, live with, service and generally have as a fun toy?

I had a 355 and have some days where I think a 308 would be a lovely thing to putter around in!?
C'mon, do it!

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
Mr Aircon,

Have you ever done a writeup of 308 vs 355 to drive, live with, service and generally have as a fun toy?

I had a 355 and have some days where I think a 308 would be a lovely thing to putter around in!?

I own/have owned identical cars to the ones Pee Pee has. Total chalk and Cheese in every way except the badge on the nose.

If you're old school you would prefer the 308 to drive. If you are into performance with a dash of modern technology and usability thrown in, you would probably prefer the 355.

Offline Aircon

Mr Aircon,

That's a marvellous idea. Of course, FF would, as always, stick his very insecure nose in and attempt to dispute every point I make about either car.

the post above by 360C will have to suffice. I think Phil's still just a little bit scared of him.

Offline j15

That's a marvellous idea. Of course, FF would, as always, stick his very insecure nose in and attempt to dispute every point I make about either car.

And when has that ever stopped you? :D

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession

the post above by 360C will have to suffice. I think Phil's still just a little bit scared of him.

Wrong again.

You'll note I've not disagreed with anything you've said. All I've said is there are perfectly suitable alternatives.

And the caps and leads are well proven in extreme uses too... if a 600bhp modified 288GTO can run the same caps and rotor arm as an old carbie .... well.... thats proof enough for me and anyone with an ounce of smarts that the oe parts are perfectly up to the job.

As for 308/355.... well... ask carl!

He hates 355s with a passion. He knows how much trouble they are and he wouldn't own one even as a gift.

• Soap Dodger

And going back to the whole "BSM is reversible" line..

well, of course it is... but here's the thing...

when you remove one of the twin dizzes and go to single, you also need to remove the old drive spline out the unused inlet camshaft, and replace the missing dizzy with a cover... no? If yes, ... How easy it is this to reverse and re-install the spline drive? and how long does it take?

Further more.... SHOULD IT MATTER TO YOU.... if you have an original looking system, and you're into doing show'n'shine and other club stuff... well, you could, for instance, turn up at the club rally... score perfect originality marks on show'n'shine day, then blast off to the track day without having to change your ignition and enjoying the benefits of superbly tunable and reliable ignition...

of course, it may not matter to you. Did I say that enough yet? Poor old PPP (you can guess what the extra P stands for), has his knickers in a twist so I want to make it quite sure that if originality doesn't matter to you then the BSM is truly great... it is even MORE tunable than the ICE, should you need it, and should you have a lap top handy, with a good battery or power supply.

The poor old ICE system has these clunky old buttons that you have to actually press yourself, with a finger... imagine the effort! And should there be a power shortage, then you'll have to use a torch to see what you're doing.

Of course, again, the BSM system can also look perfectly original (except for the knock sensor and throttle pot), but to be original on many Ferraris, you need twin systems, so this puts the cost up of course.

The ICE kit for TWIN dizzy is around $4k for parts as mentioned earlier, but for a single dizzy car like Dino, or boxer for example, it's a lot less again.... half that! Curiously!

So, one more time, especially for PPP, I love the BSM system too... it's great and very hard to pick fault with, and I'm not, nor haven't, nor will....

It's just that as various people have asked me, it IS possible to have perfectly original looking tunable programmable ignition, at a reasonable price, that is every bit as reliable as the BSM.

If you have perfectly healthy advance weights, and this is possible despite what PPPP says... you can simply remove the points, fit two triggers into one master dizzy and remove entirely the other advance system to completely avoid the synchronisation issues of a twin mechanical set up... you just run one master and one slave dizzy, with two units running off two triggers within one of the dizzies.... then a reasonably simple re-calibration job on the advance, and it'll perform incredibly (b27 will attest) and run reliably for many many many years.

I only got into the ICE system when I found a dizzy with completely worn advance system... this was due to deferred/lack of maintenance... simple annual servicing would have made it last many times longer, and a simple test/calibration once every 5 or 8 years, or longer even, would keep it running just fine.

You really DON'T need to spend many thousands on your ignition.

Of course, I put a mark up on things I buy and on-sell... but this is normal business practice and I am not greedy. And you can buy your own. Does PPP offer a "cost only" policy on things through his business?

I can buy a BSM system and install it, or a crane, or an MSD ... whatever the customer prefers.... and I take the time to tell them the pros and cons of each.

So... I'd urge anyone to buy a BSM system if performance is their sole objective.... a few runs on the dyno can be nerve tingling, but once tuned, it'll be the best it could ever be.

• Soap Dodger

Mr Aircon,

As already said, I think a modern car mindset guy would struggle to appreciate a 308, although a QV or better still, a 328 (early one of course :D ) I think would be more acceptable.

A well sorted 355 is an absolute delight to drive, and for all his other sins, PPPs 355 is well and truly sorted and he's one of few that really do keep on top of things with their 355s.

But I see the underbellies of them of course, and for servicing costs, I place a higher $/km on a 355 than ANY OTHER Ferrari I look after. They always need something doing, and as Carl will attest... access is dismal (poor dear rips his gloves), design isn't even that flash either, and as soon as you think it's all good, there's something else to do again.

The cheapest Ferrari per/km is a 328 of any age, but I prefer the earlier cars driving style. I really think you could get on with one, but they are quite small so if you're broad across the shoulders or thighs it can be squeezy.

If you were to pick a 355 type, then perhaps the 98 F1 spider might appeal more than an early car? I like the F1 on them as they're cable throttle and you can do your own blipping more easily. The spiders are nice for city types. Coupes are stiffer of course, but it's race cars for race tracks, so who cares.

The early 2.7 Motronic 355s go a bit better than later ones, and are little less fussy with errors and warning lamps but the later ones sound a bit better as standard, although silencer choice of course makes all that kinda meaningless.

A glass 308 is the pick of the 308s for future value of course, and the steering is appreciably lighter in them too.

Tough call.... but from me to you.... try a 328. But if you drive a late one and don't like it, don't give up on them until you've driven an early one too. Preferably a UK import one as they have MUCH more torque.

Offline Aircon

And going back to the whole "BSM is reversible" line..

well, of course it is... ... it is even MORE tunable than the ICE, should you need it, and should you have a lap top handy, with a good battery or power supply.

Of course, again, the BSM system can also look perfectly original (EVEN THE HIDDEN knock sensor and throttle pot), but to be original on many Ferraris, you need twin systems, so this puts the cost up of course.

So, one more time, especially for PPP, I love the BSM system too...So... I'd urge anyone to buy a BSM system if performance is their sole objective.... a few runs on the dyno can be nerve tingling, but once tuned, it'll be the best it could ever be.

Good....I agree with everything you said.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan