Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter
Mr Aircon,

Have you ever done a writeup of 308 vs 355 to drive, live with, service and generally have as a fun toy?

I had a 355 and have some days where I think a 308 would be a lovely thing to putter around in!?

This was sort of mentioned over dinner last night. The 355 is an awesome car. It's quite fast (not compared to a 458) and the handling is sublime....if feels like you can do anything with it....brake/lift off in corners....anything. Nothing seems to upset it....but mine is set up much better than any other one I know of.

I took both cars up the dandenongs over the last few weeks. The 355, which as you know is a Challenge, was a delight. The sound of the exhaust bouncing off the cliff face is very hard to beat, and the steering is razor sharp and the brakes enough to pop your eyes out.

The trouble is if you came across a cop, you'd lose your licence for a very long time and the car would be impounded.

Police hide on all the good roads now.....black and reefton spurs, broadford roads, dandenongs, you name it. It's just not worth the risk to me anymore.

Compare that to the previous drive I did in the (also very well sorted) 308. The sound, instead of the exhaust, was the gurgle of the multiple butterflies of the carburettors, the steering, gear box and handling of the car is spot on. It doesn't have the outright grip of the 355 and it keeps you on your toes...if you try fast in fast out, you only get to the fast in bit, then you're off the road!! lol

The thing is that while I was doing that drive in the 308, I doubt I broke any speed limits, and even if it did, it would have been by a very small number. Sure, it can still do 250kph down a straight, so you certainly need some self control, but the trick for me, and one of the reasons I sold the 355 over the 308, is that for me, I get complete please driving the 308 at a nice law abiding speed.....with a big fat smile on my face the whole time.

Having said that, my particular 355 is pretty special, and even starting it was enough to bring a smile to my face because of the sound and feel...........but once you're in the twisties, there's just no going slow.

Also, even though the 308 is now quite an old car, I still walk into the garage and admire it like the incredible work of art it is.

I have a few plans for that car, which I'll elaborate on when I get more facts and details, it might even get the new version of the BSM ignition!

Anyway, Moretti is taking the 355 on Saturday morning. So that's the end of a very happy era for me. I've warned him to take a tow rope with him just in case. It's STILL a Ferrari, after all.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Anyway, Moretti is taking the 355 on Saturday morning. So that's the end of a very happy era for me. I've warned him to take a tow rope with him just in case. It's STILL a Ferrari, after all.

Tow rope??? I would be more inclined to go this way.....

Offline Aircon

Tow rope??? I would be more inclined to go this way.....

Don't be silly....he's probably insured it for more than it's worth.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

Offline Aircon

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
What can I say, I'm gen erroneous.

well, maybe a few cans short of slab, but I can see your point.