Offline YSS

What's the point without a clutch pedal?

sequential upshift is incredible. 

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Sorry, but this fake manual idea sounds the dumbest thing I've heard of.  The joy of a manual includes feeling and modulating the clutch pedal as well as choosing the speed of the gear change.  The feel of the cogs messing, the joy of a well executed heel'n'toe downshift, etc etc  - all gone.

It will about as involving as the DSG stick in a Golf - i.e., not very.

And imagine trying to sell a bitser like that.  :doh:

Offline app

:(

i have to say as a young guy, i prefer stick shift, just makes driving more fun - all part of the experience :thumbsup:

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Sorry, but this fake manual idea sounds the dumbest thing I've heard of.  The joy of a manual includes feeling and modulating the clutch pedal as well as choosing the speed of the gear change.  The feel of the cogs messing, the joy of a well executed heel'n'toe downshift, etc etc  - all gone.

It will about as involving as the DSG stick in a Golf - i.e., not very.

And imagine trying to sell a bitser like that.  :doh:

nope.

Race cars have non synchro dog boxes. To re-create a true feel race gearbox, the "synthetic" shifter will have a heavy mechanical action but be VERY fast and firm.

A real dog or race box changes gear very fast indeed... none of this "feel the cogs meshing" lark at all.... you smash it through the gears.

ROAD cars have poofy soft synchro gearboxes, where you can feel the sychnro hubs slide through etc... that's not what "racers" want to feel.

and there's no modulation of the clutch after you've pulled away, not in fast/race driving. It's in and out.

The kit will bolt in using existing mounting points, and be removable in a matter of hours leaving no trace it was ever there.

Just this week I drove that Works Stratos (thats causing a stir on fchat), and it remnded me/reinforced my enthusiasm for it.

Until you've driven (or idealy been driven by a good/race driver) in a real race car with dog/crash box, you just won't get it.

Once you have, you'll want your amazingly fast Ferrari to have more "race like" feel.... IMO of course. (which is based on feedback and experience from customers/friends with these cars.)

Offline j15

I have an overwhelming preference for the manual with the heel toe satisfaction and visceral feel you get from slotting cogs home but paddles have their place too.

Chiefly its the consistency and performance where they'll always outdo the average driver, which can be quite helpful if you're on the track and you're focusing on your lines. I'd just call that peace of mind though, as i said i prefer having a go myself.

The most appealing part about paddles to me is that they can make a cars practicality more flexible, you can make it a fluffy auto for commuting or a savage gear slammer on country roads. i like that, even though changing all these settings will probably make no overall difference to the average bloke like me.

The one thing I loathe about them though is their placement in the car. I hate small little ones that feel more like lightswitches then car parts. I also can't tolerate them being mounted to the steering wheel. The golf GTI has tiny paddles on the steering wheel and i don't like them, i can never find them in a turn! the bmw push button system is also a bit meh for me.

Having never driven a fez its hard to comment, but i reckon having fat ones mounted to the steering column would be the most satisfying.

• Soap Dodger

I have an overwhelming preference for the manual with the heel toe satisfaction and visceral feel you get from slotting cogs home
Having never driven a fez its hard to comment, but i reckon having fat ones mounted to the steering column would be the most satisfying.

yes, the double clutch heel toe part will have to be lost, but the mechancial feel/effort/timing of the shift can be simulated AND be made to be functional.

A high mounted gear lever, close to the steering wheel (on either hand if you wish) is easily doable... so only a minimal movement away from the steering wheel.

Offline j15

yes, the double clutch heel toe part will have to be lost, but the mechancial feel/effort/timing of the shift can be simulated AND be made to be functional.

A high mounted gear lever, close to the steering wheel (on either hand if you wish) is easily doable... so only a minimal movement away from the steering wheel.

Once you get rid of a clutch then the whole feeling a normal driver would get from a manual car is lost altogether. When i step into a paddle car i just want some nice feeling ergonomic paddles.

I don't see how putting a lever in the cabin to select gear will make it any more joyful, or ergonomic.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Oh goody.........we can go back to one of these then........    :D

• Soap Dodger

Once you get rid of a clutch then the whole feeling a normal driver would get from a manual car is lost altogether. When i step into a paddle car i just want some nice feeling ergonomic paddles.

I don't see how putting a lever in the cabin to select gear will make it any more joyful, or ergonomic.

Not lost altogether, the shift is still there. It's only the clutch thats gone.

You could put a dummy clutch in, but THAT WOULD be fake.

Well, there's enough people that DO see the need for it... BMW and VW put sticks in anyway, just they're plastic shitty little things with no feel.

My idea is to put a machined billet unit in, with reproduced shift feel (adjustable) built in.... but it has the switches for the actual shift to do the real work.

• Soap Dodger

Oh goody.........we can go back to one of these then........    :D

absolutely! How much fun are they!  :thumbsup: