Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
High-speed users raise fears on country road

Toodyay shire president Charlie Wroth is concerned about the speed of motorcyclists and motorists using Julimar Road.

Residents along a country road where a journalist was this week allegedly caught driving at more than double the speed limit have hit out at the number of high-speed recreational drivers and motorcyclists on the road.

Motoring writer Rod Easdown was clocked by police allegedly driving at 231kmh on Julimar Road, west of Toodyay, on Monday.

The $472,000 Ferrari California he was test-driving has been impounded for seven days.

Toodyay shire president Charlie Wroth, who owns a farm on the road, said speeding motorists were a concern and he recalled at least three motorcycle smashes on the stretch in as many years. Mr Wroth said some parts of the road were unsuitable for its current speed limit of 110kmh and it did not have central white line markings.

The council had campaigned for the past six years for WA Government funds to upgrade and line-mark the road but had been refused, he said.

Many tourists and motorcycle clubs used the road for joyrides, especially at weekends, though most club members drove responsibly, Mr Wroth said.

He said locals were “bemused and surprised” that anyone could hit 231kmh on the road.

Although mostly straight, the road features several crests and curves and is part of a school bus route. “I would hate to think that people are using it as a test track — it’s certainly not suitable for that,” Mr Wroth said.

Kangaroos and emus also posed a significant hazard on the road, bordered for long stretches by bush.

Fellow farmer Peter Lemmonby said speeding was common on the road, which had several concealed driveways.

He often feared collisions with speeding motorists while turning his cattle truck out of his drive and on to Julimar Road.

“It has got me beat how there haven’t been more accidents,” he said.

He had not noticed any exotic sports cars zooming past his property, despite suspicions that the road might have been part of Mr Easdown’s regular test-drive route.

“I have never seen him before,” Mr Lemmonby said. “He was probably working on a theory that there are not a lot of people here.

“But my trailer takes up the whole road when I turn out of the drive. If I had been driving it yesterday, I might have had a trailer full of Ferrari instead of cattle.”

Police denied a request for the Ferrari to be returned under hardship provisions. Acting Commissioner Chris Dawson said the car’s value was irrelevant and the police did not believe the company would go bust simply because the car was off the road for seven days.

MICHAEL HOPKIN

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=146&ContentID=155342

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Police reject plea to release speeding Ferrari

Police have rejected a plea from the importer of a $472,000 Ferrari to release the vehicle after it was caught yesterday allegedly travelling at 231kmh - more than twice the legal limit.

The car, which belongs to European Automotive Importers, was brought to WA by Ateco Automotive for media test drives.

It was allegedly being driven by motoring writer Rod Easdown when it was caught speeding on a country road near Toodyay.

Police seized the vehicle under anti-hoon laws and have impounded it for seven days.

EAI asked for the car to be released early today, claiming the confiscation would prevent other journalists and potential buyers test driving the car.

Police Acting Commissioner Chris Dawson said high-speed offences were a worry for all other road users.

“Public roads are not a place to test high-speed performance vehicles,” he said.

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=77&ContentID=155285

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Hell, wouldn't Ateco be pissed off?  They would have had press and owner bookings all locked in.  :o

Offline super squalo

• Drives: anything you put petrol in
Dealer functions cancelled as well  :doh:

still should be back on in 7days after a wash and clean :thumbsup:
try it you may like !!!

Back from the Dead

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

Dealer functions cancelled as well  :doh:

still should be back on in 7days after a wash and clean :thumbsup:
and the WA Police fit a GPS tracker unit.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Offline app

and the WA Police fit a GPS tracker unit.

really?? how does this work and how long does it stay there??

Offline dutchie34

Hell, wouldn't Ateco be pissed off?  They would have had press and owner bookings all locked in.  :o
Rumour at work today was that Prestige called the MD to renegotiate a 'test drive'  :thumbsup: for early the following week (28-7-09), instead of next week, i'm gutted as i was hoping to be shotgun, but i'll be away for his test drive.  :doh:  Apparently all prebooked prospective owner test drives have been pulled back, 3 day test to 1 day test, with an order discount for the inconvenience.  Not happy Jan

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Motoring journalist fined over Ferrari test drive

A MOTORING journalist caught speeding in the Perth hills in a $470,000 Ferrari California has been fined nearly $2,000.

Rod Easdown, of Wembley, faced the Northam Magistrate's Court today after being booked test-driving a Ferrari California in Toodyay in July at 230 kilometres-an-hour.

A remorseful Easdown said he gone from having the "best motoring job in Australia'' to losing 60 per cent of his income as a journalist because of the incident.

He said the events of July 13 had also caused him to reassess his life and give up drinking.

The magistrate fined Easdown, a freelance journalist, $1,900 and suspended his licence for six months.

Outside court, Easdown told reporters he did not realise how fast he was going and did consider himself a hoon.

"The person in front of me was looking in his rear vision mirror, he was going from side-to-side on the road, and I just figured it was safer for both of us if I overtook him and I just overtook him way too fast," he told the ABC.

"It has really impacted on my livelihood," he said.

"I've lost the major part of my job and I've lost the best job in motoring journalism in Australia, which I'm never going to get back."

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,26038259-948,00.html