Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Chief Muppet Wrangler @ Drugs.R.Us Badlands Sector

• Drives: Slowly and carefully
A certain Miura is in the paintshop right now, and is going to be at pebble this year....

Not entering the show afaik, but making a presence...

It wouldn't get an entry on the lawn (no miura would) but there are a whole host of shows it would be welcome at.

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

So what ????

It made a whole shit load of people happy to see a car like that up close and personal which just wouldn't happen at  one of those hairy chested he man race meetings  :rolleyes:
You're right. I've heard you need a special invite to see it at a practice track day and not to bother unless you 'know' someone.

National racing hairy chested?

Sounds like you haven't been to one lately

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

Either state level sports cars or national gt, both allow full garage access, subject only to individual team policy.

I encourage full access as much as is practical, and subject to gender and level of clothing :tilt:

Offline tdc911

Well I've known this car since Ray Helm imported it from the USA and restored it in the early 1980's. He sold it to the current owner in the mid 1990's (?) and yesterday was it's first outing since the restoration was finished. It's the owners prerogative to do as he pleases; but I must say I haven't seen such a BLING resto since Pebble Beach circa 1980.
It's high quality workmanship for sure; but light years away from the standard and spec that it left the factory in 1952.
So bearing that in mind, how did it win the concour class and outright ?
Well a couple of members here were judges...

• Soap Dodger

It's a curse to be a judge.

To combine knowledge with impartiality is virtually impossible at state level.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club

It's a curse to be a judge.

To combine knowledge with impartiality is virtually impossible at state level.

Impartiality is dead easy; but knowledge is quite another matter. Who knows everything about every car Ferrari has ever built? Not me that's for sure!

I know a lot about the cars that I have owned or researched out of particular interest. If I am not into a particular model I have little more than basic knowledge. Don't ask me anything about Mondials LOL

• Soap Dodger

And then even with good knowledge, the structure and weighting of the scoring system is flawed.

I say bollocks to it all, just call it X factor cars, and then its easy.

The inter was easily the X factor car there anyway.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club

I guess my post was a bit of a stab about the current judging rules of FCA Concour. Having been a long time past competitor, and Judge on a few occasions when asked to help out, I know the answers.

Under the current rules you have a MASSIVE age related bonus. A squeaky clean, uber shiny and freshly restored 1952 car has it won pretty much from the outset. There is no way you could deduct enough originality points (assuming the Judges knew) to counter that head start. The quality of workmanship was also very, very high on the car so it would have scored well on that front as well.

My point was it's a lovely car; but it bears very little resemblance to what left the factory gates in 1952. So if it wins, something isn't quite right............. see my point?

And again, please don't infer that I am having a go at the owner because I'm not.

Offline tdc911

I guess my post was a bit of a stab about the current judging rules of FCA Concour. Having been a long time past competitor, and Judge on a few occasions when asked to help out, I know the answers.

Under the current rules you have a MASSIVE age related bonus. A squeaky clean, uber shiny and freshly restored 1952 car has it won pretty much from the outset. There is no way you could deduct enough originality points (assuming the Judges knew) to counter that head start. The quality of workmanship was also very, very high on the car so it would have scored well on that front as well.

My point was it's a lovely car; but it bears very little resemblance to what left the factory gates in 1952. So if it wins, something isn't quite right............. see my point?

And again, please don't infer that I am having a go at the owner because I'm not.

Not disagreeing with you, my point is if the judges had the judgement to be members of this site what chance did the concours have :)

Offline adam01

And then even with good knowledge, the structure and weighting of the scoring system is flawed.

I say bollocks to it all, just call it X factor cars, and then its easy.

The inter was easily the X factor car there anyway.

But wernt u toe clipping?