Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

She was an 88 model.

It was a big headache to start with because she was imported from the UK a few years back. Had to have all the pollution gear installed as well as Catalytic converter in the exhaust but once all that rubbish was done the general servicing and the few little repairs needed were easy street.

I can’t really comment on comparing service costs to other Ferrari’s but going on what others have told me about their servicing costs, the Mondial is very good. There is no need to remove the engine for general maintenance and servicing, I was surprised at how accessible most of the engine was.   

I ended up using this thing called the “internets” to order the parts from the Motherland, I think the belts cost 15pound or not much more then that anyway. And the few genuine parts that I have purchased  over the last few years were very comparable cost wise to a lot of other vehicles I play with. So yeah, the Mondial is a Ferrari that is  affordable to own, IMO.

Offline jeff kantor

• Drives: shtbox 4 now
Cheers Mondi. Would you consider (or did you?) using an import company to get one from the UK on the cheap. i.e 12000 pounds for mondi cab.With the exchange rate at the moment and the fact you wont pay LCT its seems like a good option.

Offline cazna52

• Drives: Lotus Esprit Turbo
  • Name: Justin
I just brought a car from the UK. I used one company for the shipping and another company to do the clearance in Australia.

The shipping cost me about 1,000 pounds with Autoshippers

The clearance which included all the taxes, inspection fees and cleaning etc and their commission was about $5,000 on my car which I declared as being worth 10,000 pounds. That was with a company called Cargo Online. It did take a hell of a long time to get cleared though. They said that it should be cleared in about 10 days but it ended up taking about a month and a half, it spent almost a whole month just waiting for the steam clean. Their communication was pretty poor as well. I am not sure I would recommend them particularly highly.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Cheers Mondi. Would you consider (or did you?) using an import company to get one from the UK on the cheap. i.e 12000 pounds for mondi cab.With the exchange rate at the moment and the fact you wont pay LCT its seems like a good option.

Importing is not that bad, but what you have to consider is the age of the vehicle. Anything made after 1988 you can't import unless via RAWS and then only if it is on the list.

Any vehicle made between 1969 and 1988(85 to 89 being the hardest) will need to comply to ADRs for those years and be VASSed.

Short version, buy something that is already here, it will save you a whole lot of pain and headaches.

I just brought a car from the UK. I used one company for the shipping and another company to do the clearance in Australia.

The shipping cost me about 1,000 pounds with Autoshippers

The clearance which included all the taxes, inspection fees and cleaning etc and their commission was about $5,000 on my car which I declared as being worth 10,000 pounds. That was with a company called Cargo Online. It did take a hell of a long time to get cleared though. They said that it should be cleared in about 10 days but it ended up taking about a month and a half, it spent almost a whole month just waiting for the steam clean. Their communication was pretty poor as well. I am not sure I would recommend them particularly highly.

Have you gone thru the rego requirements yet???

Offline andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park 300kph+ club
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
Loved my 3.2, because it was my first Ferrari, back in the 90's.

I was so proud of it LOL

Hard as hell seats and stupid ass HUGE steering wheel. Reliable car.
You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot.

Offline cazna52

• Drives: Lotus Esprit Turbo
  • Name: Justin
Importing is not that bad, but what you have to consider is the age of the vehicle. Anything made after 1988 you can't import unless via RAWS and then only if it is on the list.

Any vehicle made between 1969 and 1988(85 to 89 being the hardest) will need to comply to ADRs for those years and be VASSed.

Short version, buy something that is already here, it will save you a whole lot of pain and headaches.

Have you gone thru the rego requirements yet???

I have it registered now. It wasn't too hard. Unfortunately I had a petrol tank spring a leak half way through the process which slowed me down but apart from that it was pretty easy. My car was made in 1988 so I just had to get an engineers certificate and the only thing the engineer knocked me back on was the noise. I had a new exhaust made up that the shop told me would definitely be quiet enough but I wasn't convinced so I packed it with steel wool as well and only passed by less than 1db.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Loved my 3.2, because it was my first Ferrari, back in the 90's.

I was so proud of it LOL

Hard as hell seats and stupid ass HUGE steering wheel. Reliable car.

gee, the steering IS heavy>> look at all those musskles  :thumbsup:

cambelts on the 3 early cars is a breeze.. ~$500 job done including parts (plus tensioners if needed another $150). Access is easier than the 2 seaters as the fuel tank is not in the way.

The Mondial t is an engine out job though, but even that is only ~$2500 all done.

My choise in this area would be a GT4, as the carby engines are so much nicer, but a Mondial T runs it a close 2nd.

The Mondial 3.2 would be the cheapest of any Ferrari bar none to maintain. They are built so well (relatively speaking), and a UK import car actually has decent torque and power... MUCH MUCH faster than an Aussie spec similar car.

Offline JJK

I have it registered now. It wasn't too hard. Unfortunately I had a petrol tank spring a leak half way through the process which slowed me down but apart from that it was pretty easy. My car was made in 1988 so I just had to get an engineers certificate and the only thing the engineer knocked me back on was the noise. I had a new exhaust made up that the shop told me would definitely be quiet enough but I wasn't convinced so I packed it with steel wool as well and only passed by less than 1db.
  Hope you got loud pipes back on the minute you left !

Offline JJK

hey cazna you make it sound like a viable option. everyone else seems to think the hassles etc are just not worth it.did you save many $ on your car compared to buying it in oz. i assume you didnt live in uk, that you just imported your car.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
hey cazna you make it sound like a viable option. everyone else seems to think the hassles etc are just not worth it.did you save many $ on your car compared to buying it in oz. i assume you didnt live in uk, that you just imported your car.

the hassles are only part of it, there are also enormous risks

But if it all works out EVENTUALLY, it can be a good thing...

but it IS a minefield....

for every happy importer, there are 10 unhappy ones.