Offline JJK

the hassles are only part of it, there are also enormous risks

But if it all works out EVENTUALLY, it can be a good thing...

but it IS a minefield....

for every happy importer, there are 10 unhappy ones.

i hear you. too many nightmare stories and to save what? $10000, on a mondial that is gonna cost $ 50-60k in oz. interesting what you said about the uk spec cars having more poke. why is that? and can you tuneor spec an older mondial?

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
i hear you. too many nightmare stories and to save what? $10000, on a mondial that is gonna cost $ 50-60k in oz. interesting what you said about the uk spec cars having more poke. why is that? and can you tuneor spec an older mondial?

ONLY the 3.2 UK/Euro (not swiss) spec has significantly more power/torque... the others (M8, QV and T) are similar engines.

aussie 3.2 is US/Swiss spec engine... low compression, crappy camshafts, puny extractors and pipes, cat convertor, lazy timing etc....

Don't get me wrong though, they are still a Ferrari and those that have never experienced a UK spec, don't seem to mind their relatively low spec engines.

• Soap Dodger

can't really tune mondials much, not cost effectively anyway

fit carbs or multi throttle bodies is best way forwards... but only gain relatively little...

chuck a super/turbo at it....

Offline cazna52

• Drives: Lotus Esprit Turbo
  • Name: Justin
Importing a car is a lot of stress, a lot of work, a lot of time and a lot of risk. With my car I saved probably about $10,000 compared to buying in Australia. Was it worth it? For me I think so because the amount I spent was about as much as I could afford. Also importing from the UK you get more cars to choose from.

If I were a richer man I think I would prefer to buy from Australia. Importing a car is like working a second job for 6 months.

Oh, and yes, the loud exhaust was back on my car very soon after I got rego, don't tell anyone ;)

Offline jeff kantor

• Drives: shtbox 4 now
Importing a car is a lot of stress, a lot of work, a lot of time and a lot of risk. With my car I saved probably about $10,000 compared to buying in Australia. Was it worth it? For me I think so because the amount I spent was about as much as I could afford. Also importing from the UK you get more cars to choose from.

If I were a richer man I think I would prefer to buy from Australia. Importing a car is like working a second job for 6 months.

Oh, and yes, the loud exhaust was back on my car very soon after I got rego, don't tell anyone ;)

Thanks for all your input guys. Im JJK as well.Thats my home computer. Glad to hear your ferrari will sound like one again. :D

Offline jeff kantor

can't really tune mondials much, not cost effectively anyway

fit carbs or multi throttle bodies is best way forwards... but only gain relatively little...

chuck a super/turbo at it....

Hi FF. Dont know if people appreciate you and your vast knowledge, but i sure as hell do. Just want to thank you for the time you give with your answers to morons like me who really dont know one end of a car from the other. Tx again.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Im JJK as well.Thats my home computer.

You realise you can use the same login on more than one computer/device... :doh:

Offline jeff kantor

• Soap Dodger

Hi FF. Dont know if people appreciate you and your vast knowledge, but i sure as hell do. Just want to thank you for the time you give with your answers to morons like me who really dont know one end of a car from the other. Tx again.

is that you peepee?  :scratchchin:  :tilt:   (in joke)

Thanks for the kind words, appreciated.

I'm happy to hang out with fellow enthusiasts, and share as much as I can about what I know. Of course, I even get the occasional spin off/bit of work out of it, but that really is a secondary even tertiary reason for me being here. I try not to mention my company name or even my own real name much, and if you google my username you'll see peepee has his homage and shrine to me in all it's glory...

It's all good though, I treat him as my door bitch... anyone stupid/spineless/gullible enough to listen to him is not welcome anyway ;)

So, post away, there are no stupid questions (well actually there are, and I'll point them out as they arise  :tilt:). But I can assure you I'm here to help and guide with all things Ferrari (and related).

Don't encourage my jokes though, and you're lucky you can't hear me sing  :cool:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
:D

http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1658545_1658533_1658043,00.html

The 50 Worst Cars of All Time

1980 Ferrari Mondial 8

Even the legendary Italian sports car company whiffs once in a while, and the first Ferrari Mondial was a big red disaster.

Based on the 308 chassis, this large and relatively heavy 2+2 coupe had a mere 214 hp on tap from its transversely mounted, mid-engine V8, and its transistor-based electronics had more bugs than a Barstow motel rollaway.

Eventually, every single system would fail, not infrequently accompanied by the smell of burning wires.

The factory-authorized service, meanwhile, was more like factory-authorized extortion.

It hasn't helped the Mondial reputation that it was one of the "cheap" Ferraris, within reach of a reasonably successful orthodontist.

Mondials eventually got much better.

They could hardly get worse.