Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
It's not all doom and gloom.

Earlier 360 had way more issues than 2003 and newer.

I must be the odd one out as my experience with owning several 360's and my father having owned one and a close friend owning one currently and we have all had trouble free motoring (except clutches that are a consumable anyway).

Dealer charges around $8k a clutch, buy one from uk an get a good independent with the right callabrating computer to install it for you and all up it ends up costing less than half price for in my opinion a better job than the dealer and factory do.

Not sure about Ferrari but with gallardo e gear malfunction the dealer charges $30k to fix the problem (they change the whole egear system) where as all that's needed is to replace the egear pump ~$8k.  (probably less if you buy the pump overseas).

A yearly service on a 360 from a good independent costs less than if I take my merc to the merc dealer for its yearly...    360's arnt really that expensive to maintain (depending if you end up with a lemon or not to begin with)
Enjoying Life!!!!

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Like most of Zagames new Ferrari buyers, he isn't a real car nut and just wants to drive a car with the dancing donkey on the badge. He is also like the majority of Zagame new car buyers in that he has a lot of money and they know it, so they normally just ask how much and write the cheque. I'm told I'm a bit unusual (imagine that) as I'll ask how much, go and do some research to see if it's a fair price and only buy the part/use the service if they are competitive. They don't have to be the cheapest, just competitive as I believe it's important to support the dealers as we would be stuffed without them.

In my mates case I did recommend he check with Phil and I think he did ring; but Phil couldn't fit him in? As I said, he uses the car a lot and not being a car nut, has no idea how long things take in Ferrari la la land. He probably asked if he could drop it off and pick it up the next day  :p 

I may like to prod Phil with the stirring stick a lot; but I do send people to him as he knows.

I meant for an older car in particular, a new one or under warranty you're really stuck with the dealer to some extent even just so the stamp is in the books, once it gets over a certain age it doesnt matter as much.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
Yes, I realise you were talking about the older cars. My reference was really that he bought the car new; but happened to have kept it long enough for it to become older and problematic.

Interestingly enough he has come to the same conclusion as me. Buying new doesn't make a lot of sense when you can buy a  2yr old Ferrari with 5000km on the clock complete with warranty for half the new price. Trust me, once you have done the new Ferrari experience a couple of times, it isn't worth losing 50% of your money by the time you get bored with it.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Yes, I realise you were talking about the older cars. My reference was really that he bought the car new; but happened to have kept it long enough for it to become older and problematic.

Interestingly enough he has come to the same conclusion as me. Buying new doesn't make a lot of sense when you can buy a  2yr old Ferrari with 5000km on the clock complete with warranty for half the new price. Trust me, once you have done the new Ferrari experience a couple of times, it isn't worth losing 50% of your money by the time you get bored with it.

I've never had one but I agree with the principal.

Offline TEZZA

• Those Frenchies seek him everywhere

• Drives: No matter what it is I am still lusting after something better.
Hi Guys......long time reader just got my first exotic a 360 03 spider yes it is a UK import , but i didn't bring it in paid $100k for it , i had been looking for a manuel one dont like them in f1 so when i found it just snapped it up.

Mate in a word ...

Fucking HOT....

Yes I know it's two words but think of it as fuckinghot which is one word.
Greetings from Hue in Vietnam.

Offline TEZZA

• Those Frenchies seek him everywhere

• Drives: No matter what it is I am still lusting after something better.
I put a Tubi on mine when I bought it in 2001, never liked it that much. It was pretty boomy  at highway cruising speeds and made it tiresome to drive for more, than an hour or so. These days you can get a Capristo with remotely actuated valves loud when you want it, very quiet when you don't.

Very very true.
Pal of mine has a 360 with a Tubi.
It is tiring after 30 minutes as it is just too loud.
I must be getting old as I prefer it to be a bit quieter and be able to tolerate a 2 hours drive (with a woman)

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
. He started having problems with the F1 shift. Zagames quoted him $28k for the parts, not including labour! He would have been better off trading out of it rather than fixing it. He ended up sourcing a 2nd unit which has also had issues.

As I say, not cheap when it gets a serious issue and it will at some point they all do.

Not the cars fault at all.

I fixed a car for $280 that had been quoted over $10k to fix elsewhere.

I'm a shit businessman, but reasonable mechanic ;).

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
Not the cars fault at all.

I fixed a car for $280 that had been quoted over $10k to fix elsewhere.

I'm a shit businessman, but reasonable mechanic ;).

As I said earlier, it costs me more to maintain my Merc at the dealership than it did for any of my Ferraris at an independent. Not to mention that good independents do a better job, take pride in their work and tend to repair problems rather than just replace half the car with new parts at your expense.  I wouldn't be surprised if the dealers would try and pass off a faulty spark plug problem as a "Catastrophic Engine Malfunction" that needed a full rebuild, or better yet a whole new engine.

You'd have to be silly to fork out on a Ferrari servicing or repairs at the dealers on a car more than 5 years old. Not to be a tight ass or something but it simply has no benefit other than a stamp in the service history.   Last time I took my Maserati (Years ago) to the dealers they left a big scratch over the wheel arch while obviously working in the engine bay and then denied all responsibility, not to mention the car always seemed to have problems that no one else could notice except for their own mechanics or that their own diagnostics computer could find (even though it never came up on anyone elses diagnostics as a fault....)   :confused: :confused: :confused:
Enjoying Life!!!!

Offline the360

Thanks guys, very happy with it so far hopefully it doesn't cost much to repair if something does go wrong with it in the near future.

It's 9 years old so i don't expect it to be perfect, i drive it to and back from work everyday almost.