Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
errrrrr

i dont see how. it was always your claim.

I made a claim, which is correct. You dispelled it as myth.

Offline beama

• Two-headed sister chaser

I still don't believe the single piston thing for brakes

Me neither. It goes against the laws of physics. If you apply the same amount pressure using a bigger area like a single piston you are not going to get as much end pressure as you would using a smaller area like multiple smaller pistons.
Also, with multiple pistons, the better designed calipers have differing size pistons for better application of the pressure in relation to  the rotation of the disc.

Phew! Glad we won tonight thanks to that great header and top goalkeeping....oh, and a bit of luck too :) 

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
We'll get to that now then shall we?.....

Myth 2

Single piston floating caliper brakes are no good.

WRONG. It has nothing to do with no. of pistons.

A Ferrari 328 is heavier than a 308 AND much more powerful, yet they use the exact same size tyres if using the 16" option on the 308, and have almost identical suspension etc (early 328),

A 308 has twin piston calipers all round, but a 328 has single piston floaters all round.

The 328 stopping distances are much shorter than the 308. This is because the 328 has larger surface area of friction materials, which allows greater heat dissipation and greater modualtion control. it has NOTHING to do with no. of pistons.

(I'm looking for test data, if you find some, please post it up!)

you realise that's absolutely impossible, right?

man oh man...it never bloody stops....how you make a living out of this shit is beyond me

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
Me neither. It goes against the laws of physics. If you apply the same amount pressure using a bigger area like a single piston you are not going to get as much end pressure as you would using a smaller area like multiple smaller pistons.
Also, with multiple pistons, the better designed calipers have differing size pistons for better application of the pressure in relation to  the rotation of the disc.

Phew! Glad we won tonight thanks to that great header and top goalkeeping....oh, and a bit of luck too :) 

i seriously starting to rethink my position on phil.

i thought he was a clever albeit shifty character.

now i see there's nothing clever about him.
I love my car. Buy your own

Offline j15

I'm on the same page as you beama.

Next time you're in Sydney, how about we watch a match together?

Offline beama

I'm on the same page as you beama.

Next time you're in Sydney, how about we watch a match together?

Good idea, pm sent.

• Soap Dodger

you realise that's absolutely impossible, right?

man oh man...it never bloody stops....how you make a living out of this shit is beyond me

you should come car racing.

It's very informative.

You'd learn some stuff.

and then, just maybe, you'd see I'm right

again.

No. of pistons has NOTHING to do with ability to stop.

it's friction surface area / modulation control, and heat dissipation.

Multiple pistons can help spread the load across the pad, and make pad wear control improve to reduce tapering and grabbing... but it wont help the perfomance.... You need surface area and modulation to stop better.

Of course, the myth is carried on because TYPICALLY, a multi piston upgrade is also BIGGER DIAMETER discs... which is where the greater modulation comes from, which is how they stop better.

BUT, until you've driven both types on an identical chassis, I don't expect any weak minded brainwashed wannabe to understand.

another example...

a testarossa has just as many caliper pistons as a 512TR... yet, even when using the same 18" wheels, the TR will stop better than the Trossa....

why?

FRICTION SURFACE AREA, MODULATION and HEAT DISSIPATION.......

• Soap Dodger

The pressure is almost irrelevant. Just push the pedal harder, or use a bigger vacuum booster, or use different size master cylinder, or use different pedal motion ratio....

It's the friction and modulation and heat dissipation that matter. It's all about getting the best out of your tyre... holding it on the slip threshold for maximum retardation requires fine modulation. Loss of modulation control will result in lock up/fade/loss of steering.

An "underbraked" car will get fade during it's stop... ie, as the heat builds up while it slows the car down, the friction will reduce (due to gasses boiling out of the pad), making the stopping distance lengthen. Pad material choice and brake cooling can reduce the fade, but like for like, it's the larger surface area (not the number of postons) that will stop at the maximum threshold for longer.

goober

Does anyone really care about this bullshit?

Offline beama

Does anyone really care about this bullshit?

Yeah, probably because I am a voyeur who likes to watch certain people using surface area,modulation and heat dissipation  to change hands and gain a couple of strokes.