Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Hi guys,
I need some help.
I have a friend(no - it is not me honest) who has purchased an imported(UK import) 1988 Mondial and is currently going thru the process of having the car VASSed for Vic Rego.
So far everything has been not too bad to complete, but there are a few items that need to be sorted out to finish the project.
First - how do we find out if the Seat belt mounts are up to scratch in regards to ADRs. We need something in writing to prove this or a report from someone to say that they are up to scratch.
Two - the head rests have been questioned as to if they are ADR approved or not. So same thing here, where do we go to get this info.
And the Big one - Vehicle Emissions. Will the Mondial pass ADR37 Emission standards and if not what will need to be done to the car so it does???
It will need Cats, this much I do know and they are easy to fit but not sure where to go from here with any other requirements or if it needs anything else.
We have been told to compare it to an Aussie delivered Mondial but doing some research have found that the original Aussie delivered cars came in on a low volume scheme so they were not required to meet some ADRs at the time.

Any help would be appreciated and please be gentle.

Many thanks.
Mondial32

Offline uzz32soarer

• Moustache Champion
  • How the moustache was invented.....go the growl!

• Drives: 1988 Testarossa, 1974 DeTomaso Pantera, 1956 T-Bird convertible.
  • Name: Rob Hayden
Your VASS engineer is being an over zealous wanker.

Headrests, jeez he's not doing a RAWS compliance you know. And seat belt anchorage? Crock o sh1te.

No differnt to getting a VASS on my 88 Testa.

Basic stuff:

Fuel neck restrictor
E rated seatbelts
Ensure lights and glass are E rated
CAT converters
Intrusion bars in the doors
Drive by noise test
Emissions test
RWC
Tyres
Placards
Drivers door mirror
Odometer must be in Km/ph
Speedometer must be in Km/ph (dual reading speedo with small KM/ph on inner dial does not pass)

That's all from memory.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
Your VASS engineer is being an over zealous wanker.

Headrests, jeez he's not doing a RAWS compliance you know. And seat belt anchorage? Crock o sh1te.

No differnt to getting a VASS on my 88 Testa.

Basic stuff:

Fuel neck restrictor

is that still required? i heard it isn't anymore due to lack of leaded fuel nowadays.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline uzz32soarer

• Moustache Champion

It's a grey area as yet undetermined. It was supposed to be repealled in May 2007 but they didn't do it.

Such dickheads in the certification system. You cant buy leaded here, so ALL pumps are unleaded irrespective of the outlet size. So why change it, because those tossers cant make up their minds.

I grabbed a five dollar component from a local Jap RAWS shop which fitted the Testa perfectly and used black oil/fuel proof silicon to hold it in palce till after the full regiustration was done. Looked perfect and passed on all counts.

For five bucks and a half hour of time I wasn't going to risk it. I wanted to present it to the VASS engineer as ready as I could and impress him so much that he forgot or didn't bother looking at everything too hard.

Works for me!!

Offline Aircon

It's a grey area as yet undetermined. It was supposed to be repealled in May 2007 but they didn't do it.

Such dickheads in the certification system. You cant buy leaded here, so ALL pumps are unleaded irrespective of the outlet size. So why change it, because those tossers cant make up their minds.

I grabbed a five dollar component from a local Jap RAWS shop which fitted the Testa perfectly and used black oil/fuel proof silicon to hold it in palce till after the full regiustration was done. Looked perfect and passed on all counts.

For five bucks and a half hour of time I wasn't going to risk it. I wanted to present it to the VASS engineer as ready as I could and impress him so much that he forgot or didn't bother looking at everything too hard.

Works for me!!

makes sense to me!

it's part of the importation of my 328 that i'm not looking forward to.

Offline uzz32soarer

• Moustache Champion

Forgot a couple of things when I checked my records. Ammended list above.

Offline Aircon

Forgot a couple of things when I checked my records. Ammended list above.

it didn't make things any better!

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Fuel neck restrictor - has been done
E rated seatbelts - passed no problem
Ensure lights and glass are E rated - passed no problem
CAT converters - need to fit these, not a hard job, just bolt ons.
Intrusion bars in the doors - done, bit of stuffing around but complete
Drive by noise test - not required on the report
Emissions test - requirement: a report saying the vehicle passes or a report saying that x,y,z  needs to be done to comply vehicle.
RWC - not an issue.
Tyres - not required, RWC issue.
Placards - done by enigineer
Drivers door mirror - passed no problem
Odometer must be in Km/ph - not an issue
Speedometer must be in Km/ph (dual reading speedo with small KM/ph on inner dial does not pass) - not an issue.

The VASS engineer still wants a report saying that the seat belt mounts pass ADRs and the head rests comply as well.
He also required a report saying that the emissions pass, an emissions test is not good enough. A report saying that the vehicle passes ADR 37 is required.

The Mondial has been compared to an Aussie delivered vehicle and there is some differences in the pollution setup. But when the documentation was requested from Ferrari Australia, they have said that the vehicle is now too old and they don't have any records any more.

Still at a dead end.

Offline Aircon

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

uzz32soarer - can you tell me who did the VASS for yours, please.

I have attached a scan of the report - and this is only the first page.  :scared:

Anyway, if you ask me it's a lot of stuffing around for a Mondial, could have been a 328 or a Testa  :p

*** update ***

Last page was not as bad as I thought, it is only giving instructions on how the intrusion bars are to be fitted.
So page one is the majority of the report.

*** Aircon - this may give you an idea of what you 328 will require when it gets here, or am I teaching my "grandma to suck eggs" ????