Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Hi B2 - you said one very important thing in your post.

Its registered here and has been here for over 20 years.

This means that your car was imported before any of these stupid rules came into effect and will not require any of these Mods unless the Law changed. The Laws are currently being reviewed so you might find in the future things may change for your 308.
Just to give you an example, I have worked mainly on Hotrods and US imports with a few Ferraris and other sports cars on the side.
Hotrods are a pain because of all the engineering that needs to be done, if I make a bracket to mount a brake pedal, it needs to be engineered and meet ADRs. But anyway back to the subject. A few years ago, Vicroads recalled the registrations on quite a few Modified cars and Hotrods as they deemed that the engineering of the Vehicles was in question. These vehicles were not allowed to be driven until they were all re-inspected by an engineer, at the owners cost as well.
What I am saying is that you may find if the laws chance you may have to have your 308 inspected in the future.
It also depends on the year, what year is it???

These are the rules as they stand now and have been in effect since May 2005. Some are State Law and some are Federal.

Cars made before Jan 1969 are exempt - that is they do not need to be ADRed or converted to Right hand drive(if LHD).
If the car is converted to RHD it then needs to be engineered and some ADRs are also required. E.g. Seat belts, collapsible steering column.

Cars made after Jan 1969 and before Jan 1989 fall into 2 basic categories.
If the car is more than 30 years old, lets say a 1977 308, it can stay LHD(if it is LHD) but it will need to be VASSed to have it rego'ed.
But the VASS only requires the vehicle come up to ADRs for that year, so it can have a mph speedo, etc, etc. If will need to have ADR seat belts, headlights, and some other minor things.

If the car is less than 30 years old and made before Jan 1989 then it has to be converted to RHD(if it is LHD) and VASS'ed to ADRs for that year.
OK, this means if the car is a 1982 308 and it is RHD - the ADRs are fairly simple. Emissions are not really a problem, it just needs to have the same emission stuff on it as a Falcon or Commodore of the same year.
But if it is a 1988 Mondial, it needs to meet ADR22, ADR37, and the list goes on.

And of course the last one is cars made after Jan 1989 - these need to go thru the RAWS process, but only if they are on the SEVS list.
If you are importing a 1989 Mondial T for example, you with not get it in the country as they are on the SEVS list but there is no company who has the RAWS for it.
Only the RAWS workshop can file to have an Import approval granted thru DOTARS(Canberra).

Also, the laws are going to change in regards to the 30 year rule, I think there is going to be a cutoff point, not sure what year that will be - 1980 or maybe 1982.

Sometimes the ADR's are a joke.  Surely if the car complied in the UK at the time then it should here.  Same with Aircons 328.  Should be able to pay $600 rego, throw a number plate on it and go driving.

The problem here is that the UK's laws were not as strict as ours, just like at the time our laws were not as strict as the US's.
That is why we have UK spec cars, Euro spec cars and US spec cars.

Most of the early Ferrari's imported into Australia as dealer cars were imported as Low volume and came into the country as US specs.

Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

Hi B2 - you said one very important thing in your post.

It also depends on the year, what year is it???

Hi Insert Name Here :D

My car came out of the factory on 15/2/78.  Thanks for all the info. This is very interesting should I decide to bring in another car to restore.

I do find it silly how some cars can be exempt and some can't.  Makes a joke of the whole system.  Good example Holden can run around in brand new LHD cars and yet no one can drive an Enzo or F50 or F40 etc and yet they can be driven in almost every other country.  I better not get started on my favourite topic. :D

Good luck with the rest of your compliance.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter

Good luck with the rest of your compliance.

and you don't wish me luck?

duly noted!

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

and you don't wish me luck?

duly noted!

You haven't started yet!

Good luck I hope its completed by, now when did you say mine would be done, or thats right 2015.   :p

Offline Aircon

You haven't started yet!

Good luck I hope its completed by, now when did you say mine would be done, or thats right 2015.   :p

yes...thanks...i hope it's completed by then too.

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

the whole thing sounds too hard. maybe i should send it back!
the ship is still about 5 weeks away *sigh*
obviously you have an import approval?

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

OMG I hope so, or you will be in a whole new world of hurt  :argh:

Offline Aircon

OMG I hope so, or you will be in a whole new world of hurt  :argh:

of course!! wouldn't even start shipping before that came through.

that wasn't a hurdle though. i'm starting to think the most intersting aspects are yet to come!

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Silly us  :doh:

what were we thinking - we should give you more credit.

The next stage is a pain in the arse but after going thru this rubbish with the Mondial I think it will make it easier for any one in the future.

If you know some one who has an Aussie delivered 328, it will make things easier.
I have been told by the VASS man that Photo evidence is acceptable.

So for example if the Aussie 328 have the same head rests as your import, photos will work. I can explain in more detail how this is to be done if you need.
Also if you want my contact details so I can forward other details to you just let me know how I can go about doing that.

it sounds like you're reinventing the wheel. there have been so many cars brought over from the UK over the years, you'd reckon there would be someone who just knows "do this...do that...done!" I was just going to find someone whose done it before and say "here you go...give it back when you're finished" (i haven't looked into who that might be, though)

And yes, there has been a lot of cars imported from all over the world, but if the car came in before May 2005, then they don't have to go thru this Shit.

As for someone who can "here you go.....give it back when you're finished" I have not been able to find anyone who can do this.
The VASS guys do not give you anything at all. All they say is "It needs to meet ADR37, it's up to you to find out if it does meet ADR37 or if it does not then what do you need to do to it so it does."

Your Aussie exhaust system may be a god send in this case(if you believe in God that is).