Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
i have an aussie 328GTS at my disposal any time i like.

that might prove to be very helpful!
I love my car. Buy your own

Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

i have an aussie 328GTS at my disposal any time i like.

that might prove to be very helpful!

mmmm, I see, remove parts, transfer them, get rego, return parts.

I like your thinking.  Beat the bastards. :D

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
mmmm, I see, remove parts, transfer them, get rego, return parts.

I like your thinking.  Beat the bastards. :D

no....definitely not.

did you read mondy's post? it's to show the similarity with the different cars

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

no....definitely not.

did you read mondy's post? it's to show the similarity with the different cars

Yes I did read it, was being cheeky for a change....

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Yes I did read it, was being cheeky for a change....

For a Change??????

Not a bad idea you have there by the way.

Just joking.  :D

Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

For a Change??????

Not a bad idea you have there by the way.

Just joking.  :D

Be cafeful what you say here.  I'm actually an employee of VicRoads. :drive:

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

PP(can I call you that or am I not worthy yet)  :worship:

The fact that you have access to an Aussie delivered 328 will help no end. More details below.
It may also be an advantage to use the VASS engineer I am using as I should have him trained by the end of this.
Plus the Mondial and the 328 will be much the same in what they need, and most of the homework will hopefully be done.

Ok, I will post the issues one group at a time with answers as best I have found.

First issue is the Interior Fittings:
Interior fitting include seats, seat belts, headrests, sun visors, steering wheel, Dash crash pad, etc, etc.
If the Ferrari(or other vehicle in question) meets Euro standards then this will also meet ADR's.
-> the seats and seat anchorages have to meet ECE R 17, need to show evidence of this.
-> Seat belts and anchorages need to meet ECE R 14, need to show evidence of this.
-> Steering column assembly needs to meet ECE R 12 - Protection against the steering Mechanism.
-> Headrests need to comply to ECE R 25, need to show evidence.
-> all other interior fitting must meet ECE R 21, need to show evidence.
-> Door latches and hinges to meet ECE R 11, need to show evidence.
-> Child seat restraint anchors to be fitted, part K1697(Klippan).

Almost everything in this list was covered by a Document we found.
It was written in Italian but the VASS engineers Daughter spoke italian so she could translate it and it covered most of the list above.
The only issues it did not cover was the:
Seat belt anchorages.
Headrests.

Now, as long as these items are the same on the Aussie car this is what you need to do.
Photo evidence.
Take a photo if the Aussie ID plate, take photos of the front of the car and the rear plus a few of the complete car.
The photos are to prove that the Aussie car looks like yours.

Once these are done, get a Ruler and put it against the Headrests, and take photos. Photo of ruler in horizontal and vertical positions.
Same with the seat belt mounts, you may have to put the car on a hoist to get these photos, using the ruler here as well.

I will also look into the documentation I have to see if it covers the 328 as well.

* Edit * I almost forgot, you will not have to install "Child seat restraint anchors" in yours.  :thumbsup: 

Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

PP(can I call you that or am I not worthy yet)  :worship:

The fact that you have access to an Aussie delivered 328 will help no end. More details below.
It may also be an advantage to use the VASS engineer I am using as I should have him trained by the end of this.
Plus the Mondial and the 328 will be much the same in what they need, and most of the homework will hopefully be done.

Ok, I will post the issues one group at a time with answers as best I have found.

First issue is the Interior Fittings:
Interior fitting include seats, seat belts, headrests, sun visors, steering wheel, Dash crash pad, etc, etc.
If the Ferrari(or other vehicle in question) meets Euro standards then this will also meet ADR's.
-> the seats and seat anchorages have to meet ECE R 17, need to show evidence of this.
-> Seat belts and anchorages need to meet ECE R 14, need to show evidence of this.
-> Steering column assembly needs to meet ECE R 12 - Protection against the steering Mechanism.
-> Headrests need to comply to ECE R 25, need to show evidence.
-> all other interior fitting must meet ECE R 21, need to show evidence.
-> Door latches and hinges to meet ECE R 11, need to show evidence.
-> Child seat restraint anchors to be fitted, part K1697(Klippan).

Almost everything in this list was covered by a Document we found.
It was written in Italian but the VASS engineers Daughter spoke italian so she could translate it and it covered most of the list above.
The only issues it did not cover was the:
Seat belt anchorages.
Headrests.

Now, as long as these items are the same on the Aussie car this is what you need to do.
Photo evidence.
Take a photo if the Aussie ID plate, take photos of the front of the car and the rear plus a few of the complete car.
The photos are to prove that the Aussie car looks like yours.

Once these are done, get a Ruler and put it against the Headrests, and take photos. Photo of ruler in horizontal and vertical positions.
Same with the seat belt mounts, you may have to put the car on a hoist to get these photos, using the ruler here as well.

I will also look into the documentation I have to see if it covers the 328 as well.

* Edit * I almost forgot, you will not have to install "Child seat restraint anchors" in yours.  :thumbsup: 

You have got to be kidding don't you.  Are you sure this in not a joke.  Are you seriously saying people go through this everytime they brimg a car in?????

I would assume if other cars have already been imported and classified that should cover additonal cars, NO????

For example if I bring in a 308 and then 6 months later bring in another 308 would I have to do it all again.????

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

You have got to be kidding don't you.  Are you sure this in not a joke.  Are you seriously saying people go through this everytime they brimg a car in?????

I would assume if other cars have already been imported and classified that should cover additonal cars, NO????

For example if I bring in a 308 and then 6 months later bring in another 308 would I have to do it all again.????

You are correct, very very correct.

Every car is treated as an individual case.

Lets say I bring in an 87 328 and you bring in an 87 328 and we take them to 2 individual Vass engineers. We would both have to go thru this whole process. There is no comparing notes between VASS guys, the only way we would know that the cars were being VASSed would be if we knew each other and that we had the same cars.

Lets say we take them to the same VASS guy, but mine goes in first, as far as I have been told the VASS guy can't use my car to do your car.
I own the information about my car, and the VASS guy does not even have to tell you that he has done one before. He can let you know that "I" have done one and then he can contact me to ask if I want to help "you", and I don't have to. I can by law even charge you $$$$s for the information that I have to get your car passed. So the info I am posting here is like GOLD, and it is free.

If you were to bring in 2 308s for example 6 months apart, you would have to do exactly the same to the second 308, but you already have the info you need from the first one so it would not be as hard.

It is a Joke, but that is the system, and some of these VASS engineers have no idea and think they are Gods. It SUX.
And the VASS guys do nothing to help, read the inspection report I posted earlier in this thread, he has asked us to gather all the info ourselves.  :agro:

BTW, that was the first post, I have lots more to go thru.

Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

You are correct, very very correct.

Every car is treated as an individual case.

Lets say I bring in an 87 328 and you bring in an 87 328 and we take them to 2 individual Vass engineers. We would both have to go thru this whole process. There is no comparing notes between VASS guys, the only way we would know that the cars were being VASSed would be if we knew each other and that we had the same cars.

Lets say we take them to the same VASS guy, but mine goes in first, as far as I have been told the VASS guy can't use my car to do your car.
I own the information about my car, and the VASS guy does not even have to tell you that he has done one before. He can let you know that "I" have done one and then he can contact me to ask if I want to help "you", and I don't have to. I can by law even charge you $$$$s for the information that I have to get your car passed. So the info I am posting here is like GOLD, and it is free.

If you were to bring in 2 308s for example 6 months apart, you would have to do exactly the same to the second 308, but you already have the info you need from the first one so it would not be as hard.

It is a Joke, but that is the system, and some of these VASS engineers have no idea and think they are Gods. It SUX.
And the VASS guys do nothing to help, read the inspection report I posted earlier in this thread, he has asked us to gather all the info ourselves.  :agro:

BTW, that was the first post, I have lots more to go thru.

:shakeshead:

I just can not believe this crap.  Sorry.  Good luck.  NO wonder every state in Australia is sliding down the worlds list of most liveable cities.

I would have thought they would have had a data base.  I can understand putting in place barriers to avoid any car coming in, i.e bringing in a brand new car from the States for example due to the low cost.  But when you are talking about a second hand car 20-30 years old, why.  There is no need to protect the industry, they are not making these cars.

Its like the duty on parts.  I recently bought in a part from Canada for my car and had spend $200 to get it cleared through customs.  For what?????  I told the Customs guy it was an absolute joke and was glad the $3000 worth of parts I received 2 months ago came staright to my door.  Bypassed the whole system.

I hope your brother in law and PP for that matter get your cars on the road without too much trouble. :D

:drive:

edit, BTW, don't worship PP, he's scary. :D