Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Next one on the list is the Emissions. This one is a fairly big one.
If the vehicle was made after 1985 then it has to been unleaded fuel ready.
An unleaded fuel restrictor will need to be installed in the filler neck as well as an unleaded only sticker put on the fuel cap.
A $5 part can be purchased and glued in using fuel resistant glue(or other stuff).

The following info needs to be verified so this info may change in the future.
The emissions must meets ADR37.
There are a few ways to go about this. If the vehicle is Euro or US spec then it will pass. Photo evidence of an Aussie delivered car "should" be enough to prove that the emissions systems are the same.
If not a Euro or US spec car, then the emissions systems will have to be installed as per the attached link, refer to the emissions pages in the Owners manual. If this is done as shown in the Owners manual then I am fairly sure that this manual can then be used as proof, as this is the US spec version. If say someone had an Aussie exhaust system then they could use it but the O2 sensor and ECU would have to be purchased and installed. Still a bit of mucking around.

http://ferrari.jenkins.org/books/328_owners.pdf

The other way to do this would be to install 2 stage catalytic converters(these do not need an O2 sensor) into the exist exhaust and a Charcoal canister and have the vehicle tested at an emissions Lab. Cost of the test is around $1500 - $2000. This does not include any of the emissions gear installation of course.

If the vehicle does not have Catalytic converters or a charcoal canister, there is no point doing the test as it would not pass.
The year 1988 is a grey area and I need to confirm this but I think you can get away with running 2 stage Cats. After that year the vehicle needs to run a full ECU system with O2 sensors. 2 stage Cats were mainly fitted to Carbie cars, and the 328 has the K-jetronic(I think that is correct spelling???) which is a mechanical injection system - so basically just a glorified Carbie.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter
PP(can I call you that or am I not worthy yet)  :worship:

you can call me anything you like.......everyone else does.

thanks a lot for this info. in 5-6 weeks i'll be looking back over all this again for reference.

instead of photos, i'll just have both cars at the VASS place....wouldn't that be even better?

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I can understand putting in place barriers to avoid any car coming in, i.e bringing in a brand new car from the States for example due to the low cost.  But when you are talking about a second hand car 20-30 years old, why.  There is no need to protect the industry, they are not making these cars.

Yeah, it really kills me.

I had a new shape Mustang offered to me by a bloke I know in the US.
It was a company Managers car, Silver with grey leather interior, V8 and optioned with some "go fast" bits. 2007 model, only just 12 months old.
Very nice looking car. I could have had it for $9K US. So about $10K our money, plus shipping plus taxes if I did it myself.
I could have had it here for about $18K. But no, I had to bring it in via a RAWS. They wanted to charge me lots of extras, importing fees, etc, etc.
And on top of that, I had to pay $36,000 to had the car converted(something I can do myself) and complied, plus GST, plus the cost of a new set of tyres. I stopped adding to up once it got past the $60k mark.  :agro:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Next one on the list is the Emissions. This one is a fairly big one.
If the vehicle was made after 1985 then it has to been unleaded fuel ready.
If not a Euro or US spec car, then the emissions systems will have to be installed as per the attached link, refer to the emissions pages in the Owners manual. If this is done as shown in the Owners manual then I am fairly sure that this manual can then be used as proof, as this is the US spec version. If say someone had an Aussie exhaust system then they could use it but the O2 sensor and ECU would have to be purchased and installed. Still a bit of mucking around.

http://ferrari.jenkins.org/books/328_owners.pdf

FWIW there's another version of the manual here - I think it's the Euro-spec one, not sure: http://aussieexotics.com/forum/dlattach.html;topic=307.0;attach=1978

(plus lots more: http://aussieexotics.com/forum/ferrari-downloads/ferrari-downloads-t312.0.html )

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

instead of photos, i'll just have both cars at the VASS place....wouldn't that be even better?

Yep, you lucky bugger - wished I had an Aussie 88 Mondial handy so I could have done the same thing  :(

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com

Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Call one of these guys and say you want to take it for a "test drive" http://carpoint.com.au/used-cars/search.aspx?N=279+1426+4294966867+4294966060+&RegionID=&Region=(all%20regions)&Model=MONDIAL :D

Your an evil man and I like the way you think.  :mischief:

We sort of borrow one from a dealer in Queensland to do the photo shoot, I think they thought we were loony pulling out rulers and taking photos of a nut here and a bolt there.  :D

Ah, the things we do.  :rolleyes:

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

WOW, it's a Saturday night and what am I doing, sitting here writing in an exotic Cars forum.  :rolleyes:

Oh I have no life.   :grumpy:      Can't even borrow the Mondial and go do blocky's cos' can't even get the stinking thing Rego'ed  :irked:

Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

Your an evil man and I like the way you think.  :mischief:

We sort of borrow one from a dealer in Queensland to do the photo shoot, I think they thought we were loony pulling out rulers and taking photos of a nut here and a bolt there.  :D

Ah, the things we do.  :rolleyes:

Mmmm interesting.  Qld, Looney????????