Offline Ferrarista

Was reading about a mob out of QLD who programme your 360's computer for extra performance. Has anyone had it done?? Is it worth the expense.From what i understand, they re map the computer, advancing the timing and fuel/air mixtures. Any experiences/comments would be much appreciated.
Passion For The Prancing Horse

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

With a NA car, never expect a massive gain. Maybe not worth the $$$$. Turbo car, different outcome.

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

Waste of time for the 360 till you do induction, headers and exhaust. Assume it will cost about $1000/KW for each extra bit of real horsepower out of that engine with normal mods.

e.g Carbon airboxes - $4K for Stradale airboxes secondhand - maybe 11HP gain
      Headers - $4-6K new - maybe 10HP
      Exhaust - $3-10K new - maybe 5-10HP

Dead easy to blow 20K for a few extra HP, assuming everything ties together and works.

then maybe chip tuning... maybe ... how much?

C'mon, do it!

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
I have programmed a few 360 Challenge cars. Powerchip have done most of the installation.

There is extra power to be had, but the only real gains are above the standard rev limiter.

Not only fuel map and ignition, but cam timing variation and inlet manifold actuation can be adjusted.

The biggest and truly tangible gains to be had come from changing the throttle map... you can make the car MUCH more responsive for any given partial throttle.... ie ~20% pedal normally gives ~$15% throttle for example.... so you can change the pedal/throttle ratio...   but it of course makes no difference at full throttle. This is a useful tool for tuning race cars, but not much point on the road.

I also have programming to "only" remove the immobiliser program, in order to swap ECU's from one car to another. (The right hand ECU talks to the immobilser and lets the LH ECU know all is good... you cannot swap RH ecu's among cars, only left ones, but if the left one has ever been installed on the right, it too will be locked... and there's no way of knowing.... until you try)

I have only programmed Challenge cars and the GT cars (which don't have air flow meters or variable cam timing), not much demand or point in doing road cars.

if you want a fast 360, buy a 430.

Offline Ferrarista

Waste of time for the 360 till you do induction, headers and exhaust. Assume it will cost about $1000/KW for each extra bit of real horsepower out of that engine with normal mods.

e.g Carbon airboxes - $4K for Stradale airboxes secondhand - maybe 11HP gain
      Headers - $4-6K new - maybe 10HP
      Exhaust - $3-10K new - maybe 5-10HP

Dead easy to blow 20K for a few extra HP, assuming everything ties together and works.

then maybe chip tuning... maybe ... how much?
$3K

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
By the way. Stradale air boxes will do NOTHING for power. Stradale have larger throttle bodies, and without those, the butterfly is a restrictor. You'll need a whole intake plenum for that.

Just changing the normal paper air filter for sports ones will give you all the gains you'll ever get from induction... pair of filters are ~$300-$500 depending where you shop.

Manifolds (exhaust)... yes, a little there, but you'll actually LOSE some low end torque.

Silencer... pffft, half of bugger all there... you gotta get rid of the cats to gain anything worthwhile.

Offline Ferrarista

Just changing the normal paper air filter for sports ones will give you all the gains you'll ever get from induction... pair of filters are ~$300-$500 depending where you shop.
pffft, i paid $100 for filters,
Thanks again Richie!!

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

I tried Power Chip on my E500, they had a money back guarantee, I got my money back.

Offline Ferrarista

I tried Power Chip on my E500, they had a money back guarantee, I got my money back.
ha ha ha, good one...nice execution. made me laugh

Offline Ferrarista

ok guys, here is the deal. I made a decision to get the chip done, and job was completed yesterday.
My findings in the matter are;
My car is 10 years old,
chip made it smoother with a better power range through the gears.
I noticed more power down low and a little more up high.
Overall, it noticably improved performance.
we ran it on the dyno before and after, i was suprised that the car ran same power as stated by ferrari, on the first run. They state 400bhp at motor, we got 320hp arw(215kw) Second run got 360ish hp arw (245ish kw). Not bad when you consider chip and filters only.
in summary, not bad