Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater

Property people don't always get property inspected by a 3rd party, guitar experts don't always get guitars inspected, art collectors trust their own judgement, antique collectors and on and on..

This is not rocket science.

The smart people do, the people who go into collectibles blind often get burnt badly. Provenance is paramount along with condition. The more obvious and less important stuff may be picked up by an amateur.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
The smart people do, the people who go into collectibles blind often get burnt badly. Provenance is paramount along with condition. The more obvious and less important stuff may be picked up by an amateur.

Sigh.....  Missing the point is becoming a speciality around here....

If a buyer considers himself an expert already, it's highly unlikely he'll seek another opinion....

Offline andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park 300kph+ club
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
Depends if you trust the mechanic involved with the car. When I bought the 348, it was serviced all its life by Sandro, so I spoke to Sandro directly about the car and on his recommendation only, I bought it, no PPI. No issues.

If I'd buy a car serviced by Phil, I wouldn't need a PPI if Phil was the only person working on the car for the previous number of years. That's because I have experienced Phil's work many times, so I know the standard of it.

If it was a car serviced by the main dealer, or a backyard mechanic, I'd definitely get a PPI. Look at both of my recent Lambo experiences - both with full main dealer history, yet oil was never changed, coolant was as thick as oil, etc. You know the details.

Right now, in the whole country, I'd buy sight unseen, with no PPI, any car recommended by Phil, Sandro, Francois or Paul. But that is it. Any other car, would get a thorough inspection to the smallest detail.
You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

Sigh.....  Missing the point is becoming a speciality around here....

If a buyer considers himself an expert already, it's highly unlikely he'll seek another opinion....

As you're never wrong I won't waste my time any further.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

Depends if you trust the mechanic involved with the car. When I bought the 348, it was serviced all its life by Sandro, so I spoke to Sandro directly about the car and on his recommendation only, I bought it, no PPI. No issues.

If I'd buy a car serviced by Phil, I wouldn't need a PPI if Phil was the only person working on the car for the previous number of years. That's because I have experienced Phil's work many times, so I know the standard of it.

If it was a car serviced by the main dealer, or a backyard mechanic, I'd definitely get a PPI. Look at both of my recent Lambo experiences - both with full main dealer history, yet oil was never changed, coolant was as thick as oil, etc. You know the details.

Right now, in the whole country, I'd buy sight unseen, with no PPI, any car recommended by Phil, Sandro, Francois or Paul. But that is it. Any other car, would get a thorough inspection to the smallest detail.

Ever heard the story about a particular Ferrari that went into a shop for a top end rebuild? It came out with freshly painted cam covers and detailed engine bay after the top end "rebuild". After the problems continued the owner took it to another shop. After stripping top end again it was determined that all it got in the last rebuild was repainted cam covers!
Then there was the full V12 rebuild of a 1960's Ferrari that ended up in court.
Then there was a 275 engine that had silicone used instead of the correct "O" ring gaskets in the top end.
All happened in your trusted list of mechanics.

In other words you can't trust anyone or anything in my experience.

Offline Steve355F1

• Drives: 355F1 GTS

Makes perfect sense and I agree entirely.

I never got a ppi done on my car, but I did get it checked out by someone I trust (not a mechanic but a Ferrari owner), I spoke to the person who did significant mechanical work to the car, and I did plenty of research on the company who were selling the car. Based on all that, I bought it without ever seeing it in the flesh.

Couldn't be happier.

But, in a much more "unknown" situation I would definitely have done a ppi.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
As you're never wrong I won't waste my time any further.

FFS....  I'm not saying I'm never wrong any more than you're saying the same thing!

Who PPI'd your F50?
360 N-GT?
430 Scud?

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

FFS....  I'm not saying I'm never wrong any more than you're saying the same thing!

Who PPI'd your F50?
360 N-GT?
430 Scud?

the post 360c commented on makes good sense, didn't seem like he missed any point.  Might be worth reading it again.

Offline RMV

• A Country Member

+ infinty

Caveat emptor.  Nothing else need be said.

Offline ferrarista2

• Drives: Slowly
Ever heard the story about a particular Ferrari that went into a shop for a top end rebuild? It came out with freshly painted cam covers and detailed engine bay after the top end "rebuild". After the problems continued the owner took it to another shop. After stripping top end again it was determined that all it got in the last rebuild was repainted cam covers!
Then there was the full V12 rebuild of a 1960's Ferrari that ended up in court.
Then there was a 275 engine that had silicone used instead of the correct "O" ring gaskets in the top end.
All happened in your trusted list of mechanics.

Being a tradie, I've been through all this before.
Owners lie, mechanics lie, stories are made up without knowing all the facts.
I've had people ask me to do a cheaper job then complain to their neighbour because of it....
then they call other people out, 3rd parties get involved  and there it all starts.....
I agree with your last comment, especially clients who appear as friends to try get a better deal
Everything looks better in carbon fibre