Offline Fil-Ski

• Drives: 993TT
Do you think the reason the jury came to the non-guilty verdict was because it was too complex to understand with so many moving parts? Unlike the other case which was more straight forward.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
Do you think the reason the jury came to the non-guilty verdict was because it was too complex to understand with so many moving parts? Unlike the other case which was more straight forward.

Well, 12 independent and intelligent people decided he was not guilty. Not that he was innocent, just not guilty. Sandro's barrister showed a discrepancy in the police work.....or at least made the jury think there was a discrepancy.

I was surprised, I must say, that after asking for a definition of unencumbered and lien that they found him not guilty, however. Sandro knew and admitted that at the very least, LK had invested $70k in that car (or more depending who you believe) AND he knew there was finance on it (even though Sandro said both he didn't know about the finance AND he did know about the finance! lol) so how can he sell it to someone else as unencumbered? I'm not up on the law on such things, but it just doesn't sound right to me

I think part of the process is understanding this....to be guilty Sandro not only had to have not owned the car but KNOWN that he didn't (although he argues he did). He also had to not know that LK had a financial interest in the car that had to be satisfied, rather than "I waited long enough for the balance of the money and told him I couldn't wait any more and was selling to someone else"

In other words, it's not just the act, but the intent. Does that make sense?

Maybe the jury just decided Sandro thought that what he did was ok rather than being deceptive. ...or maybe they simply just weren't sure....and they're not sure, they have to acquit.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline Aircon

Unlike the other case which was more straight forward.

Actually, I think this case was much more straightforward

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Well it confused the shit out of me!!!

How the hell did he remember all those lies.........they do say a good lair needs a good memory!!

Offline Aircon

The barrister is right, but it feels so wrong.

I'm not sure if he was right, but he was convincing!....obviously!

Offline j15

LK paid Sandro $70k for work that never started? I don't wish to be critical of victims, we can all get drawn in by people we trust and who we assume to be honest, but that would hit me as a massive warning sign that things would only get much worse if I stuck around.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
LK paid Sandro $70k for work that never started? I don't wish to be critical of victims, we can all get drawn in by people we trust and who we assume to be honest, but that would hit me as a massive warning sign that things would only get much worse if I stuck around.

I know what you are saying; but you are not rebuilding the engine on a VW Golf here. Ancient Ferrari parts are rare and hideously expensive and on a V12 there are a dozen cylinders and 24 or 48 valves.......the list goes on. They also gobble up labour as they are hard to work on and with 50+ year old OHOS everything you touch is stuffed and requires rebuilding.  At $100 an hour or more a proper restoration gets you a six figure labour bill. The mechanics aren't getting rich at that either so expecting them to front the initial parts bill isn't going to work.
So in that context a "real world" large initial payment isn't that unusual in OHOS Ferrari land.
My 308 GTB restoration cost about $70k in 1990-1999 and I didn't need any engine work. Today that would be easily $150k plus and years of work.

I've said it a million times, there is no such thing as a cheap Ferrari. Buy the best example and save yourself a heap of money and grief; but people don't listen and learn the hard way.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

It's a mentally, I have been caught myself with panel beaters like this. Pay them a reasonable deposit to get the project started, then 18 months later, project hasn't started so you throw more money to try and get the project going.........and it all turns to shit.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
It's a mentally, I have been caught myself with panel beaters like this. Pay them a reasonable deposit to get the project started, then 18 months later, project hasn't started so you throw more money to try and get the project going.........and it all turns to shit.

That comes about because in my experience almost all mechanics are chronically disorganised/hopeless businessman. Sometimes it comes about because workflow is disrupted by earlier jobs coming to a grinding halt for various reasons- subcontractors not performing on time, parts being unobtainable, owners not paying progress payments etc etc.
Restoring a car is a total mind fuck. Again, buy one that is already done and save the time and grief. There is an old saying that applies here "buy the car and get the restoration for free". Boy is it true!

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Restoring a car is a total mind fuck. Again, buy one that is already done and save the time and grief. There is an old saying that applies here "buy the car and get the restoration for free". Boy is it true!

Ah, but sometimes buying restored can be a mind fuck as well, I have purchased a few, never been 100% happy with any of them. Paint work on one gave me the shits so I ended up painting it again...................and another one I had was good in respect to the body and paint but it had 100's of little niggles that I found myself forever chasing and fixing................