Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

I have owned both 430 & 430 Scuderia, I lowered both of them with new correct springs & spring rates & not over done. I didn't really have trouble with bottoming out unless going insanely fast on bad roads & then I just adjusted my speed to suit. Its all about having a proper shop with engineering expertise do the work & ensure corner weights, wheel alignment, camber & toe etc are correct for the mods, camber adjustment certainly fixed any guard issues I had & helped the handing at the same time.

I ran sticky R compound ties on both cars at all times & thought they had far superior grip in all conditions, even wet roads, except the very rare standing water which you could generally see in enough advance & adjust speed accordingly, all tyres suffer in those rare conditions. I did Tassie in the 430 on wet & dry roads & far preferred the R compound tyre grip in both conditions, the softer compound had significant better grip. Wet weather race tyres are just grooved slicks, sometimes with a softer compound. The softer compound of R street tyres works better at clearing water in same way as race wets. Super & hyper car manufacturers fit as standard equipment these tyre type for good reason.

I did approx 15k plus kms in both cars, tracked both of them many times successfully & felt the lowering, set up & tyres improved them. I didn't think the aero really effected either car negatively on the road, having more definitely improves handling when you are at the next level of a GT3 type car with slicks etc, especially given the significant extra corner speed those cars generate. That said I raced a 458 Challenge in a round of the Asian Challenge series & IMO it was an average car, understeered like a pig & was nothing more than a road car with slicks & wings compared to my race cars, very different to a GT3 car.

I loved both cars, I didn't think the Scud was hugely different to the 430, it was a little quicker & it certainly benefitted from the weight saving, it was better in small increments everywhere over the 430, but if we are really honest Ferrari, McLaren, Lambo etc they all come out with these limited edition mid/late production cycle cars to regenerate interest & sell more cars given the typical 5 year production cycle. In reality people buying these cars get bored after 2-3 years & want a new car before 5 years, these lightweight focused cars like Scuderia, Speciale, 675LT & Superleggera fill this gap, sorry for long winded post just my 2c worth  :)
well said.

So many fools think when a 'race' model comes out, it's gunna be 1000% better, when it's only 10%, hoping for 200 more HP and 200 kg lighter. Again it's fractions of this.

Manufactures will always drip feed improvements with each new model.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
What tyres were they Scott, that certainly looks ordinary, they also look very worn on the insides, if the manufacturer warned against using them in extreme cold then one would follow that advice. That certainly doesn't look good  :eek: & could easily be a combination of the extreme cold as you say & wear.

I think the Scud as I said was better incrementally in every way but it wasn't like going from 360 to 430 difference IMO. I know yours was lightened quite a bit but did you modify suspension, brakes, engine etc significantly.

From memory they were P-Zero Corsa "R" Spec Peter. I agree the wear looks pretty extreme; but they had only seen 2 Tassie Tours and nothing in between, so probably circa 2500-2800 km's. I checked them before I left too, and they looked to have plenty left in them when I started the 2nd Tassie run.

I wasn't expecting snow either, so that was an unpleasant surprise that saw me kitted out in the wrong gear :(

My car had a LOT of weight taken out. By the time my little project was finished it weighed 1306kg on empty fuel tanks, almost 100kg under the starting weight of my Scuderia. That is 200kg less than a standard 430 Coupe which is huge considering it still had the standard road seats and air-conditioning etc fitted.
As for other mods, the main one was a manifolds to exhaust tips Capristo exhaust that claimed an increase of 40hp and 50Nm of torque over standard. So it was very light and had more grunt than a standard Scuderia and was miles in front of a base 430 model.
Suspension wise it was just lowered a fair bit and had the Challenge adjustable links fitted, allowing more camber then you could run using the standard Scuderia fixed links. Brakes were standard.

So basically it was modified enough to go like shit off a shovel and was noticably faster than a standard Scud, and much faster than the standard 430 models.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
well said.

So many fools think when a 'race' model comes out, it's gunna be 1000% better, when it's only 10%, hoping for 200 more HP and 200 kg lighter. Again it's fractions of this.

Manufactures will always drip feed improvements with each new model.

Normally the case I agree. Often you will find the lap time differences could easily be attributed to the "R" Spec rubber fitted to the "race" models Vs the normal road tyres on the base model. The standard Scuderia fitted this description; but I was making a comparison between my modified Scuderia and the base 430 cars that I had driven. I think 200kg weight loss in my Scuderia with a bit more grunt made the comparisons a bit invalid.

Offline JBO

• Drives: Something that doesn't meet my aspirations...yet...
All Ferrari's to have hybrid tech by 2019

Italian supercar-maker's CEO says a full range of hybrids is vital to meet CO2 targets and sell more than 10,000 cars
Ferrari's CEO Sergio Marchionne has announced that every single car it sells by 2019 will have hybrid technology incorporated into its powertrain, in a bid to boost sales and profits for the famous supercar-maker.

According to Marchionne, currently the firm's volume is limited because it is constrained by CO2 regulations and introducing hybrids will help Ferrari exceed 10,000 vehicles a year by 2025.

At present, Ferrari is on track to ship 8000 cars this year and increase sales by 2019 to around 9000 vehicles a year.

Announcing the decision to introduce hybrids at a quarterly profits meeting in Milan yesterday, Marchionne promised a "fundamental shift" in the way Ferrari manufacturers its vehicles.

Confirming the Prancing Horse brand will introduce hybrid powertrains to every model, he added that Ferrari's next-gen hybrid engines would “yield additional performance".

Only one Ferrari road car currently uses the firm's hybrid tech -- the limited-run LaFerrari coupe and its drop-top sibling, the Aperta hypercar.

Until now, it was thought the next car scheduled to come with electrification incorporated into its combustion engine would be the F12 supercar that's expected to arrive in 2020.

At the recent Paris motor show Ferrari also announced it was already investigating petrol-electric hybrids and admitted it hadn’t ruled out downsizing further from a V8 to a V6.

It's thought the new plug-hybrid technology the Italian car-maker is considering will mirror the tech of other more mainstream car-makers by offering a pure-electric range of at least 50km.

The same modular technology, it's thought, will work on its forthcoming V6 engine as well as the future V8 and V12 powerplants.

Ferrari's boss, who's also the CEO of the Fiat Chrysler Automobiles empire, also said that the car-maker would expand the range of vehicles that appeal to a larger demographic.

Giving the example of the GTC4Lusso in the press conference, Marchionne hinted that more luxurious sports cars that have been "designed to be driven every day" could be on the way, potentially blurring the boundaries between it and luxury sister brand Maserati.

Celebrating third quarter growth of eight per cent in sales, it appears Ferrari is yet to be hit by the economic slowdown in markets like China.

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2016/sports/ferrari/ferrari-boss-says-all-models-from-2019-will-be-hybrids-104527?R=104527&Cr=3&surl=aHR0cDovL2VkaXRvcmlhbHN5c3RlbS5jYXJzYWxlcy5jb20uYXUvRGVza3RvcERlZmF1bHQuYXNweD9Ocz1wX0RhdGVBdmFpbGFibGVfRGF0ZVRpbWUlN0MxJk49Mjk4MSs0Mjk0OTY3MjgxKzQyOTQ5NjcyNzkmVGFiSUQ9MjIwODc4NiZRcGI9MSZzaWQ9MTQ5RTFFOTdGNjVEJk5uZT0xNQ..
This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you. - C Montgomery Burns.